What happens to you chart position when you from paid to free

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by derpderp, Apr 18, 2012.

1. derpderp

derpderp Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Hi

I was wondering what happens to you chart position if you were to go from paid to free for a couple of days then back to paid again?

Thanks

2. givenstage

givenstage Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2011
    Game Artist
    Singapore
    From my own experience, once my paid game when free for 2 days, we got an explosion of downloads and we were featured under top free hitting top 10 free games in quite a few regions. After our game went back to paid, we were listed back on paid games.

So, 'Free' games on 'Free' listing, 'Paid' games on 'Paid' listing, the day your game status change is the day your game would be listed accordingly, hope this helps.

3. Future777

Future777 FDG Entertainment<br />Co-Founder
    Patreon Studio

You'll have to climb the paid charts from zero again, when switching back

4. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Indie Developer
    Brighton, UK
    Previous posts are correct, ranking both charts are separated and raking in one won't affect the other when you switch your app between free & paid...

5. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    Not quite... when you switch back you'll have had 0 sales for the time you were free. If your free experiment was very short (a matter of hours not days) you'll see only a small dip in your paid chart listing.

6. derpderp

derpderp Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Thanks everyone.

7. One can do it in hours? Helps?

8. WeeAllan

WeeAllan Active Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Project Manager of Mobile
    Scotland
    We have done it a few times with our application.

We have been top 10 in our category, went free for a few days and when we have come back we have reentered in the top 10 again, albeit a couple of places down.

Dont go free for too long though. 2-3 days should be enough. I havent experimented past 3 days so dont know what the outcome would be past this.

A