iPhone app promotion strategies

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by SRPartners, Oct 4, 2010.

1. SRPartners

SRPartners Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Hey guys. I'm new to this forum but currently working on my first iPhone game attempt. Without going into too much detail, it's a platformer but with a unique twist (which you will all hear about closer to release date).

I've read a lot about different ways of promoting apps, but one that's never really mentioned is trying to publish one's app (or game in my case) under the umbrella of an already established development team brand. I'm sure its a crazy longshot to get it done but if you can make a great app, why not try it? Looking for your inputs. Thanks.

2. olliewollie

olliewollie Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Student
    Australia
    Your basically saying, "Why not publish it under gameloft or Ea" right?

3. iFreeze

iFreeze Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2009
    Germany
  4. SRPartners

SRPartners Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Yeah exactly (in an ideal world)

Do you know if they accept equity? That's another factor as I don't have the financial capital to license a large company's brand name.

5. daygodude

daygodude Active Member

I just released a game last week and getting exposure as been slow going, even with great user reviews. It's not just about releasing a great game, obviously.
    I haven't had any money to invest yet, and most sites want a good penny to advertise on them. I've mainly been sending emails to a bunch of review sites, but many haven't responded. I can only imagine how many emails they are probably getting from developers though.
    I'm being patient though. It's only a matter of time and word of mouth before it bubbles up.

I'd be concerned with how much a publisher would take, but maybe it's worth it. I can't say, but I may try going this route if my exposure still sucks in a month or two.

I think if you're making a quality game, you should maybe try publishing it yourself first, but just make sure to start contacting reviewers way before your app hits.
    I made the mistake of only starting to contact them after the game was released, and it may take awhile before they get to it.

6. SRPartners

SRPartners Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Thanks for the advice. GL with your game, hope it picks up.

7. Rasterman

Rasterman Well-Known Member

May 10, 2010
    Game Monger
    Tampa, FL
    I think it depends on the game. If you have something with very high production values and solid game play (for example does it honestly compete, or come close, with something EA or SEGA would put out?), you are better off promoting it yourself, as it will last in the app store and may get featured. If you get featured and have a solid game you will probably make more during that one week than the rest of the products entire life.

If it is simply another bubble popper, jumper, or gimmicky type game then you are probably better off getting it published, as then it will have marketing behind it and gain a lot more sales at its release, which is what you want since those types of games can fade quickly.

Either way one thing is for sure, have your game 100% complete and rock solid when you release it, as you get 95% of your exposure within a few weeks of releasing, if you have bugs or missing features you are severely crippling your chance of success.

8. SRPartners

SRPartners Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Thanks for the response. Do you know of any other good publishing companies like chillingo to use? And doesn't the game still have to be quite unique for them to utilize their resources on your game? (My game currently in development should be)