The mechanics behind 'inter-device saving'

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by lepeos, Jan 16, 2011.

1. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    That title seems really badly worded, anyway. Getting an iPad soon (well depends how soon they announce a new one) and looking forward mainly to playing a lot of the apps I play on my iPhone as many these days come Universal as standard, or are given it as a significant update. One thing I am worried about is saving. The only games I've heard that manage some sort of 'inter-device' saving are Broken Sword 2 and Galaxy on Fire 2. I know BS uses some sort of Dropbox connection to do it and to be honest I've only heard of Galaxy on Fire's save style in passing so I'm not sure how it works.

My question is, is it a really difficult thing to achieve from a development point of view? Or is it something that Apple has placed a restriction on? Surely you could use Game Centre profiles to manage some sort of cloud based solution?

Thanks

2. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    Everything is difficult from a developers point of view. Adding anything takes time and money. I know that developers can backup game saves through Plus+ or Openfeint, but that has to cost money. Apple doesn't place restrictions on sharing game saves, but they don't facilitate it either.

I would recommend jailbreaking both devices, downloading appbackup on the iPhone and backing up all your files, copying the backups to your iPad and then restoring the backups. Your iPad will now have all your game saves on it and you can unjailbreak both devices. It won't take 30 minutes and there are jailbreaks available for every device and firmware.

3. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Haha you read my mind! I was thinking of Appbackup, and was trying to google whether iPhone and iPad save files were universal.

Obviously yeah I know it's going to cost time and money, but I really think it would be a great incentive to buy an app. I've bought a lot of apps I wouldn't normally just because it's Universal, and for instance I can see from the main forum that Rimelands has recently become Universal and that's really enticing me. Such an iPad whore, and I haven't even got it yet. Sigh.

4. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    Glad I could help, but I doubt it would help sell more copies. Not that many iDevice owners have multiple devices, and I think devs should better spend their time adding features that all/most users could appreciate.