roughly 2/3 of all apps in the app store are "zombie" apps.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Papa Deuce, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    I got this off of the BBc.co.UK site........ this is about 10% of the whole story posted.

But according to Adeven the size of the US firm's app store, which has about 900,000 products, has left many developers struggling to get noticed.

"579,001 apps out of a total of 888,856 apps in our database are zombies," the analytics firm said.

It defines zombies as apps which never appear in Apple's master-list of the most downloaded apps worldwide, a chart which runs to over 300,000 places.

It also talked about how it is near impossible at this point for a new developer to get noticed in the app store.

2. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    I remember the days when I was aware of literally every game in the AppStore. I checked the new releases every day, and was familiar every app in every genre I cared about. It's amazing how the AppStore exploded.

3. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Yeah... There's a lot of issues with the AppStore. A lot of indies are avoiding it, due to the risk being very high (biggest issue is visibility). Companies like Gameloft, EA, etc. don't have much to worry about though, because they dominate the AppStore (there's just several companies on top, and many, many more below them).

4. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    When I read your title I thought you meant 2/3 of apps are zombie games, which was also believable. LOL!

5. one.sixty.four

one.sixty.four Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
    me too!

6. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Truthfully, this is one of the few topics I didn't fully understand... and then I saw your post. Haha. Makes a lot more sense now :p

7. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    lol, same here!

8. Make it 3

9. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Time for them to concentrate on Android and the Ouya then!!

10. tygamr

tygamr Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Piracy is the issue with Android. Dunno about the Ouya- seems like people have very mixed opinions on it. Since mobile has started to turn bitter for the majority of indie developers, they've been going more towards PC, and console releases (PlayStation, followed by Nintendo, followed distantly by Xbox- Microsoft is a part of the problem).

11. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    If you notice, most all the negative posts about the Ouya are strangely from people who have never played it and have no actual experience with it. Whatever those people say are of no real meaning to anyone. Some just like to hear themselves flap on. How can anyone be so ignorant as to post opinions and not really know what they're talking about? Lots, I guess. In one ear and out the other, as I always say! I ignore 'em, and nobody should give them any credence, 'cause the're idiots. They don't even count, to me, when it comes to deciding if it's any good or not, in the end. ;)