Galactic Keep by Gilded Skull Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by gildedskull, Jul 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gildedskull

gildedskull Well-Known Member

New Galactic Keep website!

Today we launched http://www.galactickeep.com! We've posted our first 'development update' that focuses on our map editor and (roughly) how it works.

[​IMG]

In the coming weeks we'll be launching a 'lore' section that will cover some of the backstory of the game: highlighting many of the characters, weapons and places you'll be going to...so keep checking back!

2. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Glad to see progress is still being made!

3. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Huzzah! :D

Still awaiting this one...

4. gildedskull

New SPECIES Section added to the GK Site!

We've just finished adding a SPECIES section to the Galactic Keep website. For anyone who's been following this thread (since the beginning), you probably already know the cast of creatures BUT there's some new art to check out and all the basic species information is now in one easy-to-find place! CHECK IT OUT HERE!

[​IMG]

5. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    More teaser pics! At least it's still coming along :)

6. sebasterbator

sebasterbator Well-Known Member

Just wanna say im really happy you guys are on full development of this game, been waiting a while for it ;). Even though I haven't touched my ipod touch in a year or two I'm planning on getting this as soon as it comes out.

7. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Oh man, this looks epic. It's gonna play on the iPhone 3GS, right?

8. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Galactic Keep is now a Kickstarter project:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/906689947/galactic-keep-dice-battles-sci-fi-adventure

9. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    $45,000 goal in 14 days? Seems pretty optimistic.

10. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
  11. gildedskull

kick the keep

Yep: 14 days isn't a lot of time, but then again, it's two whole weeks! We have some interesting things planned in the short span that the campaign's running.

Needless to say, we'd really appreciate any support you can give :) Please take a look at the project page and check out some of the great rewards for pledging...I'm pretty excited about the actual die that we're making. It should be pretty cool, I'm hoping to get the prototype delivered over the weekend. The t-shirt will be great too, we're going to hold a contest to choose the design.

If anything this has been a great motivator for us to hammer into the development. We've made a huge amount of progress over the past week in preparation.

I have to say, 45K sounds like a lot (it is) but the going rate to develop even a basic/simple 2D game can easily be between 80 - 100K (more or less, depending on the features)...usually, it's A LOT more. We know first hand. I don't think that it would be profitable for a US studio to develop a fully featured iOS game (for a client) for under 50K.

...that said...

This game will be gigantic when compared to similar titles on iOS. We've already built a ton of content, hours of gameplay...and we have a lot more planned that hasn't been implemented/built yet!

12. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Dammit, I wish Kickstarter took PayPal. :(

13. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I was a bit disappointed about that myself, and actually kind of surprised.

14. Morenar

Morenar Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    2 things: anyone tell the toucharcade crew yet? I saw this on the front of SlideToPlay, but if it hits the front page of toucharcade it will get a lot more people to donate. Second, the kickstarter says its universal now. I'm crap for creating new pages and making them all pretty, but someone who isn't should create an upcoming page on the ipad forums.

Good luck Gilded Skull. I've been waiting for this one for a while :D

15. gildedskull

Galactic Keep iPad

Yes, it's official: not only are we developing to support iPhone and iPod (including iPhone5) Galactic Keep will launch as a universal app on iPad too.

[​IMG]

16. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I'm glad this is going universal because it seems more like an iPad type of game anyway.

17. gildedskull

Mission Select: Modules

Also, I don't think that I've shown this before anywhere else: this is working art for what a module will look like. Following the table-top game theme, each mission within the mission select will be represented as a book. I used to go to my local hobby shop as a kid (in a mall that was bulldozed long ago) and freak out while flipping through the racks of game modules...

[​IMG]

18. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Love this! It's real fan service to those of us that like these types of games. Since the game is going to be handling stats and action sequence it will all be fantastic for new comers who want to try it but never did because if the overwhelming nature of the pen and paper RPGs.

19. gildedskull

GK Dice

Here's a photo of the actual GK dice that we have as a reward in our Kickstarter. We think they're pretty awesome looking. We're going to put one of them into the game, selectable as an option. It'll be photographic (like the current default red die that's already in there).

[​IMG]

20. gildedskull

#460 gildedskull, Dec 20, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
    NEW GK:DB Walkthrough Video

We've just posted a video walkthrough of part of a current build of the game. It covers how you'll select and then customize a character, travel on the map and solve puzzles (the puzzle in the video is a proof of concept for more complicated puzzles).

Since the video was made (this morning) we've polished up basic in-game combat and we're going to try to put together another video to show that off next.