In App Purchases good for only ONE device

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by mrbass, Jun 17, 2009.

1. New app store terms of service which you must accept today include
    So if this is for a game and I spend $1 for new content within a game and that content is only good for one of my ipod touch's then screw that. I'll never purchase any in app game purchases.

On the other hand if this is only referring to TV Show and Movie rentals then I can live with that but if this applies to games I'll keep the Parental Control "In app game purchases" permanently locked forever as it currently is.

2. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    Wow... I've done that before and... That really does SUCK.

3. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    The terms don't appeal to me either. Does this mean, if you ever uninstall a game from the device, the additional content is not synced with iTunes and is therefore lost? If that is the case I will surely be jailbreaking in order to save my purchases.

4. Rockey04

Rockey04 Well-Known Member

I will never buy and in app purchase either. That is absolutely ridiculous!!!
    Even worse, instead of offering updates to apps, developers will now make you pay for new upgrades!!!

5. qasim

qasim Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    USA
    #5 qasim, Jun 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2009
    what if you hve an ipod touch and spend over like 10 bucks on in app purchases, then you get an iphone, or new ipod touch... ? wtf.. that is the lowest move apple could do :(

6. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    As sad as it is. Follow the money...

That is what Apple and the rest of the world run on...Sigh

7. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

I would assume that in app purchases are considered part of the app itself and would be backed up to itunes with the app. That would make the most sense, and would eliminate the need for re-downloads anyway.

8. GamerOutfit

GamerOutfit Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    It actually depends on what you purchase. If you are "unlocking" features of a game then it is to follow your app from device to device. If you are buying transient goods, they do not have to follow devices. The items you purchase are required to tell you if they are transient or not.

9. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    That's ridiculous though.

Again, what if one is upgraded from a 1st "gen" device to a 2nd "gen" device?

Are those transient goods not linked to your account? So if you upgrade to a new device after restoring your older device to original status, you still can't get what you bought on your account linked to your new device?

I hope that that isn't the case, because if it is...then that'd be complete bull**** on Apple's part.

Btw, as an aside, I love how Apple terms these slight redesign updates new "gens" as if they are actually a new generation of technology :rolleyes:

3Gs is an actual new gen. Everything else beforehand is really the same gen, just with slight redesigns, IMHO. Of course, I'm using the term based on the usage in the game industry, so...y'know....

10. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    I was reading the agreement thing and it's ALL ON THE DEVELOPERS. The developers chose whether or not they want it on one device or multiple devices. Note the word "SOME" in the statement.

11. SoCal_Sponger

SoCal_Sponger Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2009
    Quick question about the "App purchases," how do you know when there is downloadable content for an app? Im planning on getting the update, but not sure if I should spent $10 now or later.

12. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    Can someone test this?

13. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    My guess is that any Apps featuring this option will state so in the Apps description.

14. JTHM87

JTHM87 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Auto Finance
    King of Prussia, PA
    What exactly did he do wrong? At least his reply was on topic :p If you're referring to his usage of the word "gay" come on don't get offended over something so silly! I'll admit that I too think these new terms of service are not a good move. :rolleyes:

15. Cousin Dirk

Cousin Dirk Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Or, if not, then they should at least be saved in the backup of the iPhone saved to your computer, so that you don't lose your purchases in the event of your device failing. Also, since when you get a new iPhone you can restore it using a backup of an existing iPhone, those In-App purchases should carry over too.

If you have more than one device on the go at a time, however, then you might be out of luck.

16. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    I'm guessing that for obvious reasons, Starjimstar doesn't approve of the term 'gay' being used in a negetive manner... which I naturally understand :)

Anyway, on topic, I'm certainly not onboard the 'In App Purchasing' if my money is going to go to waste should I end up upgrading to a new model.

17. Taragon

Taragon Active Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Yea I was wondering about this as well. If I buy things now and then what to upgrade to a new phone, what does that mean with this new change in policy? I can't imagine that I would have to re buy my apps or ingame upgrades.

18. Came here to say this.

It's up to the developers to determine how in-app purchases are distributed, and given that one app can be synced over multiple devices, it's pretty safe to assume that it would be App Store suicide if a developer chose to restrict a user's DLC purchases to only one installation of the app. This thread is proof enough of that, but any developer with an ounce of market sense would already know this intuitively. Any developer who tried for the blatant cash grab would be immediately shunned and derided.

Just to emphasize, Apple only provides developers with the ability to do this. They do not enforce it or decide what apps will be restricted in this way.

19. BoiledGoose

BoiledGoose Well-Known Member

Yep, device to device is up to developers, but as others have mentioned I'm curious if that extra data gets backed up to iTunes or if that part is also up to developers.

I haven't read up on it enough to know and don't plan on adding DLC to my apps in the near future, but as a consumer I'm wondering what happens during a restore / backup / device replacement, etc.

20. powersurge

powersurge Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    Between this and the question of will developers abandon their games in future firmware updates I think apple should step in and standardize this mess before it starts to hurt consumers.