Ashley Ao - Sci-fi Concept Art and Development Thread

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Shaz, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Shaz

Shaz Well-Known Member

Hi, yes there will be. Give me a couple more weeks though to put in some of the hazard dynamics I mentioned above. I'll update this post again when I've done that so check back soon. :)

2. Shaz

Shaz Well-Known Member

Upgrades and more

Made loads of progress the last couple weeks. Very much re-energized for this game so steadily adding loads of new elements.

Got the upgrades page finished, all fully working. Screenshot attached.

[​IMG]

The gameplay is turning out really well. The original gameplay intention was to make the player feel like an anime hero, enjoying the sense of speed and agility, pulling off crazy maneuvers with ease and feeling powerful.

Well I'm glad to say it is hitting that objective. The controls are feeling good and you can combine moves to do some really cool stuff.

If anyone is going to Apps World in London I'll be there on there on Wednesday 23rd Oct at the Pocket Gamer thing. I'll be hanging around that area and will have Ao on the iPad mini. If you want to say hello and give it a spin drop me a message!

3. Shaz

Shaz Well-Known Member

Progress

Progress update:

I added a tutorial for 1st time players. After watching people play at a local dev meetup I go to it was clear that new players are overwhelmed and don't know what to do. But once I explain the rules and controls they get the hang of it and quickly get good. So that' a good sign.

So I went back and tested the tutorial at the same meetup and... it needs adjusting. At the moment it does show how to do all the moves but is a bit "lifeless". So I'm going to adjust it so that each segment is a mini challenge. This should make it more fun and also make it easier to remember everything as all the moves will be in context.

4. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Nice to see it's coming along. Good things take time.
    Keep up your good work and just saying, day one buy here !

5. Shaz

Shaz Well-Known Member

Hey, thanks for the support! Nice to know it's not just me who wants to play the finished version :)

6. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I'm really digging the art in this but I have to say that the running animation still looks a bit funny. The skill system looks really interesting

7. Shaz

Shaz Well-Known Member

Upgrades

Yeah, lately I've been liking games where the upgrades system lets you choose which skills you want to level up. So with Ao you can decide which moves you want to be powerful. That will probably depend on your playing style and which moves you like using.

8. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    How are the points used for upgrading earned?

9. Shaz

Shaz Well-Known Member

Upgrade ponits

Each time you destroy a mutant you might collect energy.

That energy can then be used to upgrade each of your abilities. So the power of each move, or the duration and speed of the hyper boost.