Farewell Nintendo

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by caanerud, Aug 2, 2011.

1. caanerud

caanerud Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    #1 caanerud, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
    I know they rebounded nicely with the Wii (during its prime), and they have always dominated in the portable realm, but I honestly believe that their outdated business and stubborn refusal to adapt to the times has finally caught up with them.

I jumped ship in December '10 from being a Nintendo fanboy. Support for the Wii was waning, and I was getting tired of playing (admittedly high-quality) rehashes of popular Nintendo franchises. I sold my DS, expecting to be blown away by the 3DS (while cool, the great games just aren't there yet and it's clear that the 3D is more gimmicky than ground-breaking). I got an iPad thinking that it could replace my aging laptop and I could jailbreak it and play some emulators in my free time.

The game selection on the App store blew my mind. And the prices (from free to $10, generally) are insane. Indie developers are constantly innovating and releasing awesome games (that often happen to appeal to my platformer-shooter-action game tastes). While most ios games offer bite-size entertainment for a mere 99 cents a pop, there are tons of substantial games as well.

So farewell Nintendo. Perhaps one day you will make games for devices other than your own, and if that time comes I will happily put Mario on my iPad alongside Cordy and Bumpy Road and Storm in a Teacup.

And if you do recover from this, and the Wii U somehow takes off and becomes the next big thing, and the 3DS overcomes its marketing struggles (it's apparently quite difficult to sell something that you need to see first-hand to understand) then I will happily eat my words.

2. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    First of all, seeing your sig, that's a bunch of great games. Second, welcome. and third, y u no jump in the ship nintendooo?! I'd love to play SMB on my iTouch!

3. Chocolate

Chocolate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    I was big into DS and PSP.

Not any more. iOS fills my gaming needs, and is sooooo much less expensive. And contrary to popular BS, there are plenty of good games. OK, some genres are sparse, but if gaming is a fun hobby and not a religion for you (i.e. you're a normal, balanced human being with a life) then iOS gaming is fine, and it keeps getting better.

4. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Cool story bro.

5. nesio718

nesio718 Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2010
    getting paid....
    Sunny South FL!!
    you guys talk like the systems cant co-exist....

proud ipad 2 and 3DS owner.

6. parranoya

parranoya Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    The thing I get paid for
    CANADIA
    I hope they can survive long enough to put out Moneter Hunter on the 3DS. I feel right now like the Ocarina of Time was the most expesnive game I have ever bought. The new Mario game will probably be pretty funk in 3D...so this one I am looking forewards to....but thats about it.

So little games for such a new system....!

Cant wait for the VITA though...lets hope it gets some DIABLO 3 love. :p

7. Psiufoxx

Psiufoxx Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    sustainability consulting
    paris (yeah, the one in france)
    I agree 100% with the OP. What Nintendo doesn't seem to realize is that they could dominate in an age where you had to get up and go to the store to buy games. Today, that's just not the case. I was a holdout with my DS and my Wii and really didnt get into iPhone gaming until about a year ago.. but whoa, when I did, I don't think I ever stepped foot into a Gamestop again.

Not to mention the fact that their main vehicule, casual gaming, just works better on the iOS space or on social networks. And it's so much cheaper. $40 for a 3DS game? No thanks..

Bye bye Nintendo.. sad to see you go.

8. jase23

jase23 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2009
    It's a shame that Nintendo is in steep decline in the portable market. I want both Nintendo and Sony to thrive, because the Vita and the 3DS can do things with a dedicated device and physical controls and big-budget developer backing that the iOS games cannot always replicate.

That being said, it's just tough for Nintendo and Sony to compete on price selling $40 games when there are so many excellent free and low-priced games on the App Store. This weekend you could have picked up GTA: Chinatown Wars HD for iPad for $2.99. Dead Space HD was on sale for $.99. So was NOVA 2 HD, Dungeon Hunter 2, HD, really most of the Gameloft and EA titles will eventually go on sale for $.99. It's so easy to wait for them to go on sale, and then click on the buy button and download from iTunes.

9. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Definitely, man! I've owned every game console since Pong in 1972 with the exeption of the Neo Geo, as well as every hand held except the new 3ds, which I see as just gimmicky and have spent thousands and thousands on them. Nowadays, however, the old way is becoming obsolete. (physical software) Everything now is DLC. (downloadable content) In every media! Soon, there'll be no need for GameStop stores. No need for software! The IOS is kicking butt with quality and quantity and you can't beat the prices! No need to waste 60 bucks for one game you're gonna return soon! These things were great in their day, but this is the future for now. I'm quite happy walking around with my trusty, bitchen little ipod 4th gen. 64gb with over 500 games/apps, over 3,500 songs, and another 8 gigs of video in my pocket with no need for anything else, (except maybe another 64 gb of space on it). If Nintendo was smart, they'd jump on this bus and sell their huge library of games here before their mistakes make them completely irrelevant with the times! Oh, well, kinda hard to feel sorry for them considering the run they've had. Farewell, Nintendo, it's been a lot of great years! RIP!

10. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    The issue is that a portion of casual gamers have in fact abandoned Nintendo in favor of iOS gaming for that simple reason alone. The games are cheaper. The games are not better, mind you. They are simply cheaper. But we are talking about casual gamers here. I absolutely believe that Nintendo IS dying a slow death because their business model is outdated and they refuse to adapt. They need to counter their loses in the casual marketplace by pursuing more of a hardcore/dedicated gamer base.

I believe that the Vito will sell because everyone knows beforehand that Sony will offer the type of handheld gaming alternative that will be attractive to dedicated gamers who have become disillusioned by the relative cheapness of iOS games. They sell cheap, yes. But they are almost made cheap. As such, they are devoid of substance/content/polish/etc. I want more as a gamer then what the iOS scene tends on average to offer and I know I am not alone.

Recently, I have gone back to playing the original PSP far more then the iPhone. Also, however, I own a 3DS and I play my PSP much more than that 3DS. The PSP is currently outselling, and signficantly so, I might add, the 3DS.

Third-party support is the key. Nintendo has never taken third-party support seriously and that is why their model is dying. Because all of their first-party franchises are casual in nature. Every single one of them. I have tried over the years, but there is not a single first-party Nintendo franchise that I can sink my teeth into. Not even Zelda.

Where is Activision when it comes to 3DS development? Where's EA? Where the heck is everybody else? Square-Enix? Rockstar? Bioware? ID? Gearbox? Dice? Epic? Bethesda? Anybody? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller? All I see is a little bit of Capcom, but that ain't nearly enough.

11. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    The day that happens is the day I'll buy a 3DS and post screens. Qft...

12. mashead2000

mashead2000 Well-Known Member

Pretty sure EA said they will never go down the 3d route altho they have done FIFA in 3d?lol

Well I was first in line for a 3DS on launch night, loved the idea and Street Fighter was WOW ;) but then I was left waiting 3months for Zelda which was great but I always had my IPhone with me and the 3DS in my bag-I would always play games as a quick pick up and play on my iPhone rather than get back into Zelda etc which was unfortunate.

Then what happens is Nintendo announces a price drop by a third-a third!?? Are you intentionally peeing people off?? No games for launch, keep pushing back big games into next year, then annoy fans that got the system at launch by slashing the price :( oh and try to keep people happy by giving them some really old GBA games lol

Happy to say that after finding out about the imminent price cut I sold my 3DS and had car boot lol, and got and ipad2! Woop woop lol

Best thing I ever did-always going to be an IOS gamer-long live the App Store and I hope Nintendo Fails because it's annoyed me for the final time

Rant over lol

13. DodgerBlue016

DodgerBlue016 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    I create awesome paper airplanes that I will sell
    Here
    You do know they are giving out like 20 games for FREE to original 3ds owners before the price cut right? (I'm glad I never went nintendo anyways though ;))

14. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2010
    USA
    #14 Stan, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
    I agreed with every word of that sentence. I keep saying this, but iOS games lack significant content, stories and depth. That's not usually a problem, but it ends up with me playing a game a few times a week and never finishing it / forgetting about it. Console/Portable games seem to captivate me a LOT more. But I do love the cheap pricing off the appstore :)

But seriously, leave this to that MASSIVE comment section in that 3ds article...

15. mashead2000

mashead2000 Well-Known Member

Lol yeah really old game boy and game boy advance games
    Fair enough if they gave you a free proper new game but old games that I'm not bothered about-would rather they gave me the third of the money back lol

16. HelperMonkey

HelperMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    Perhaps Nintendo will struggle when the economies of the US and Europe collapse and we're all reduced to eating our toenails to survive. But the giant emerging markets in China and India will happily purchase their hardware so that they can pirate their games. No worries.

17. smonroe

smonroe New Member

Aug 3, 2011

I feel sorry for now from nintendo..
    How i wish it will be settle soon..
    We will wait till the time is done.