Official "Support the Indies Week"

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by Johannes Roth, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Johannes Roth

Johannes Roth Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Indie Developer
    Munich, Germany
    #1 Johannes Roth, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
    Hello guys,

you all know that iOS games often are really cheap. Everyone should figure out, that 1USD (thats as much as you pay for ice cream :p) doesnt help developers that much. Until now, you didnt have the chance to support Indie developers in the App Store.

We wanted to change that and startet the "Support the Indies Week"!

This is the official press release: http://gamasutra.com/view/pressreleases/75722/viewpressrelease75722.php

All Indies that are taking part of the "Support the Indies Week" will offer their games for a higher price than normal.

This will start tomorrow with 38 USD. The price will be dropped by 5 USD every day, so you can PAY WHAT YOU WANT.

If you want to support a developer, then buy the game for the price which you think is fair. If you dont like to pay more than usual, just wait one week and grab the game for the usual price.

Every developer can join us (just PM me)!
    I will keep you posted about the games that are taking part besides our "daWindci".

"Astroslugs" joined us!
    http://itunes.apple.com/de/app/astroslugs-deluxe-fur-ipad/id442411315?mt=8

With kind regards
    Johannes

2. Arktar

Arktar Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2010
    No offense, but I don't really think this will work. This feels like a failed attempt at getting a Humble Bundle into the Appstore, but where as the Humble Bundle is 60 dollars worth of games for a price you choose, this is 1 $5 game for $33 dollars more than you would normally pay. Not only that, but the Humble Bundle gives money towards charities, whereas you just pocket all the money yourself.
    Also, I think this is the wrong forum to post in, it's not much of a price drop or deal to pay $33 more dollars.
    People won't pay $3 for Canabalt, they definately won't pay $38 dollars for this.

3. Johannes Roth

Apr 14, 2011
    Indie Developer
    Munich, Germany
    Dear Aktar,

I think you misunderstood something. The price of each game will be reduced each day until it reaches the usual tier. Its PAY WHAT YOU WANT, not "PAY 38USD!" ;). You dont have to buy it, but if you like it, you can pay a bit more than usual.

Also this isnt about spending money towards charities, as we clearly wont make 2 million USD within this week like the Humble Bundle ;) This is about supporting real Indies and their games.

Its okay that you dont want to pay a bit more. We wont force you to. :)

4. Arktar

Arktar Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Either way, this is only helping yourself, and isn't a price drop at all and should be moved to the general forums. Your a indie we've never heard of before, I would support indies like Mobigame, but either way, I don't really think anyone will bite for this 'deal'.

5. Johannes Roth

Apr 14, 2011
    Indie Developer
    Munich, Germany
    Of course this is helping us and other Indies. Thats the whole idea: Help developers that made enjoyable games. If you dont like supporting people that are creative by spending some money, thats okay. But its your point of view.

Oh, and in case you never heard about us, how about reading something at TouchArcade ;)
    http://toucharcade.com/2011/06/20/dawindci-review-a-zen-like-puzzler-in-the-sky/
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=91043&highlight=dawindci

Anyways: Thanks for your feedback.

6. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Of course they are helping themselves; that's a rather strange statement to make. You think developers - who are mostly selling games for $1 - should be giving money to charity when most are not even breaking even with their own product? The developer in this case is hardly unknown or someone "we've never heard of before" either.

That said, an inflated price that's going to drop back down to the original price might not qualify as a "price drop" or deal, so we'll see how the mods deal with that.

7. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    I'll resist starting any sort of flame exchange, but this dev is well-known as liked in the TA forums, and those who have the means may appreciate the chance to conveniently support talented, hard-working indie devs. I'm personally hoping this works out well for everyone, and raises their profile relative to the major software houses. :)

8. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Speaking as an indie developer, I think this is a swizz tbh but good luck with it. :)

ftr, I consider my customers paying me 3 bucks to buy my game as "supporting" me and I don't feel the need to use emotional blackmail to squeeze more out of em.

If you wanna support me, buy my game and it'll only cost you 3 bucks. Wanna do more?, please leave a good review. :)

9. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Well I personally can't see any bad that can come from this. People can choose to give a bit more to help indies if they want or not.

10. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I'm sorry, but this has to be the most ridiculous "concept" anyone's ever come up with on the App Store. No offense but I already have daWindci, and out of all the titles on the App Store I'd pay premium for, daWindici certainly wouldn't be one of them. Good luck anyways.

11. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    I wouldn't have said anything if they weren't trying to portray their little wheeze as "official".

This is just a publicity stunt, and fair play on that one, but there's nothing official about it. And that's misrepresentation. And the people negatively affected by such misrepresentation are indeed the other nine million indies who could all use some "official" help.

12. Arktar

Arktar Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2010
    This is exactly the point I was trying to make. This is one indie trying to portray others, using terms like 'official'. If he was serious about this, then he would first contact other indies before posting this. It would sound much more official if there were, say, 10 indie games running this promotion. I mean you could just rename this to 'Support DaWinCi Week' and it would make no difference.

13. ak47killa

ak47killa Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2011
    What is this the Red Cross? Make a good game and people will buy it.

14. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    Sounds like a really bad attempt to emulate what the creator of Super Meat Boy did.

http://supermeatboy.com/tag/rant/

Also, you need a better writer/editor for your press releases. So many comma splices.

15. Johannes Roth

Apr 14, 2011
    Indie Developer
    Munich, Germany
  16. Johannes Roth

Apr 14, 2011
    Indie Developer
    Munich, Germany
    Yeah, I understand it seems like that. The truth is that we asked a lot of developers and ran into the problem, that many of them are preparing for gamescom in Germany. Also there always has to be somebody who starts something like that.

I am honest with saying that I really appreciate your feedback and we will work on the concept based on it. Also, if you know some developers that you wish to join this idea, feel free to PM me.

17. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    LOL Good luck with this..
    Everyone here is asking for codes or waiting for price drops or want a sale as soon as it gets on the market.
    Do you really think they will pay $38 for a $0.99 game???
    Good luck with that one.

Maybe I should start creating a thread for raising money, so I can buy
    the new update for my programming language, so I can finally create
    Ipad / Iphone / Itouch / Mac games or applications.

All I need is $599,- so PM if you want to donate... :D

18. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I love how people who have the universal build are encouraged to buy the iPhone version to support you. Are you out of your mind?

19. BlindingLights

BlindingLights Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2011
    daWindci - £26.99

Astroslugs - £26.99

Good ####ing luck.

20. DodgerBlue016

DodgerBlue016 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    I create awesome paper airplanes that I will sell
    Here
    No offense, but if you really wanted to "Support the Indies" wouldn't you already own their games? :rolleyes: