Universal N.O.V.A. 3 - Near Orbit Vanguard Alliance - (by Gameloft)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, May 9, 2012.

1. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Wouldn't gameloft have to update the game so that the extra effects show up on native res?

2. AppleFan12

AppleFan12 Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    USA
    #1302 AppleFan12, Nov 3, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
    You don't own an iPad 4. I've owned all of them and I definitely see a difference in performance. The 4th is the best performing iPad for gamers so far in my opinion because with the new redesigned A6X chip, it is different. It doesn't struggle now under the quad core GPU.

I believe anandtech explains it or see the front page of macrumors :)

3. JediKnight

JediKnight Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    DarthGuy's Deathstar
    maybe - maybe not, they can change the power of a gun without an update so maybe they could do something similar for the extra effects.

4. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #1304 Rip73, Nov 4, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
    Yeah they would.
    It's due an upgrade for the iPhone 5 anyway.
    They can change certain things on the server side in multiplayer, the native res with effects is a device dependant change that would need to be done on the coding side so an upgrade would be needed.

5. JediKnight

Jul 24, 2012
    DarthGuy's Deathstar
    If you update the the code, you update the server which is the same thing... Besides the graphics in the store would change so I think they *should* need an update for both but since they don't the resolution MAY be fixed. :D

6. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I'm sorry, but when i referred to updating the code of the game I was referring to the engine of the game.
    Changing the res to native with full effects on iPad 4 can't be done on the server side, its simply not possible.
    I may not have been clear.

7. JediKnight

Jul 24, 2012
    DarthGuy's Deathstar
    Ah, I see, this is for a certain device "Different version literally!" Agreed now.

Still confused if they would need to update all devices... I don't think so... Right?

8. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Well, the update would have to go live on the App Store and all devices would download and install the update but they all wouldn't implement the changes.
    That's one of the issues with iOS and the App Store, a device specific update can't be produced without all devices having to download the changes even if an older wont actually do anything with the changes to the app.

9. Quantus

Quantus Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    How is Nova on the Mini? Same frame rate as if playing on iPad 2?

10. Shadowking2214

Shadowking2214 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2012
    None
    I'd imagine,the game runs smoothly on an iPod 5,and the mini is basically a smaller iPad 2

11. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #1311 Rip73, Nov 6, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
    Same resolution as iPad 2 but smaller screen so probably runs a bit smoother as the processor has less screen to push to. So framerate should be similar or better.
    iPad mini has 163 pixels as opposed to 132 for iPad 2 so should look slightly better.
    I found it very smooth on iPad 2 anyway.

12. Quantum Apocalypse

Quantum Apocalypse Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    The two have the same resolution though. They'll probably need optimisation, as on some games the device ID has been confusing the apps on which settings to give.

13. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Miss post, sorry.

14. Anyone have both the ipad 4 and old new ipad? Does this game run any better on the ipad 4 in regards to framerates and added effects?

I have heard two reports that the game runs worse on the ipad 4 than the new ipad. They have said that the full effects are enabled, but the framerates seem worse on the ipad 4.

On my new ipad, I play this with retina graphics on, but don't seem to get full effects. It is not as smooth as Dead Trigger which some have posted and said that it was locked at 30 fps. So I am guessing, but on my new ipad it runs at around 20 fps or so, if this is true.

But it was a little disappointing to see two different people say that nova 3 was worse framerate wise on the ipad 4 vs new ipad. Is this true?

This and Virtua tennis for me are games which need better framerates on my new ipad. Most every other game including asphalt and dead trigger run pretty well. But this game, man, if you could get to run with full retina, full effects, and with a 60 fps would be totally awesome, what I would call console ready.

Too bad that the ipad 4 gameplay isn't all that yet. Do you all think an ipad 4 update will come for this game? Or will we just have to wait for Nova 4???

15. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    The full effects and retina are enabled. No lag. Don't know where these framerate issues are coming from.

16. Well, saw two posters saying framerates on the ipad 4 were worse than the new ipad, but that the ipad 4 was getting full effects. But this might have been on ios 6.0. I and others have gotten a significant framerate boost from ios 6.0.1. After 6.0.1, my framerates seem to be higher by around 5 fps or so, and stutter a lot less.

Can you explain what full effects you get now?

And dead trigger is locked at 30 fps right? Nova 3 on my new ipad looks worse than Dead Trigger in terms of fluidity. On retina mode on my new ipad, it looks like Nova 3 runs at around 18-20 fps, but I am just guessing.

Does Nova 3 run at 30 fps or 60 fps, or something else with full effects? I guess the new ipad version is running no full effects right since I only got one toggle for better graphics. Is anti-aliasing on? And is it full retina?

Nova 3 and Virtua tennis are the main two games I would like better framerates. Most other games after ios 6.0.1 are running well for me now.

I would imagine that Nova 3 running at 60 fps, AA, full effects, would be something most people would say would be console worthy. My new ipad version is far from that. Is the ipad 4 version close? And so far, there hasn't been an ipad 4 optimized version right? And do you think one will come?

Sorry for all the questions, but there aren't all that many experts yet on the ipad 4.

17. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Woh, question overload.
    Okay effects are essentially environmental, flames and smoke as opposed to just burnt out.
    There is some motion blur and depth of field but not as frequent or consistent. Bear in mind I've only randomly checked and haven't done a full play through.
    In relation to fps, very (and I mean Very) few games run at 60fps on iOS. iOS is screen locked to a maximum of 60 so it would need to be able to run higher than that to average out at 60. Plus 60 fps can drain any iphone/ipod battery in less than 30 minutes (I've seen that tested).
    Dead Trigger is locked to a maximum of 30 so that it doesn't run higher and then dip lower in parts. It's pretty consistent between 20 and 30 which considering the naked eye can't distinguish that difference is good enough.
    I haven't noticed AA (but again I only skimmed through it a bit) and it runs at full res with no drops in performance that I've come across.
    I do believe it will be updated because it needs widescreen anyway so I think an iPad 4 update will also be included.
    I would advise forgetting about expecting games to run at 60 fps consistently though. The technical power may be there but considering Apple has a screen lock in place in iOS in order to preserve battery and games will naturally dip below their maximum allowed, we will have to wait for battery technology to improve at this stage.

18. Thanks, well, using Dead Trigger as a benchmark cause it seems to run fairly closely between the ipad 4 and new ipad, how does Nova 3 look on your ipad 4 compared to it?

On my new ipad, Dead Trigger looks pretty good, getting fps close to 30 fps. Nova 3 on the other hand, is playable, but the framerate is not all that smooth. I would guess around 18 fps or so.

I know on the ipad 4 you all seem to get more effects, but how does the framerate look compared to Dead trigger? Do you think you are getting 30 fps in Nova 3 with the full effects on? And did you run the game under ios 6.0 vs 6.0.1 cause it was reported that the ipad 4 was having problems with nova 3 under 6.0. Seems to have gotten better with 6.0.1 for some reason.

Sorry for more questions, I think this is about it for me though. Would love to see an ipad 4 update to this game. Wonder what you all would get.

19. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    It's run smooth. I can't give numbers as ive run no tests but it is comparable to Dead Trigger. If I had a gun to my head and had to give a number, I'd say between 20-30, which is good no matter what anyone says.
    iOS 6.01, I didn't run anything on 6.0 because I was aware there was some issues with some games.
    And when you say 18fps, it has to be lower for the human eye to register it, so its probably running higher in stages and then dipping down to below 15 at other stages.

20. N0NAME

N0NAME Active Member

Dec 15, 2010