Universal [WIP] Leela's Journey - Beautiful Adventure Puzzle

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Platypus2, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Platypus2

Platypus2 Member

Sep 22, 2015
    #1 Platypus2, Sep 25, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
    Hi everyone!

We are a 4 person indie team.

Our upcoming story-driven puzzle is a place for everyone, an ethereal and marvelous new world to discover.
    The player's advancement leaves it's mark on this world, and every solved puzzle leads the player onto a new path.

Story:
    Your story begins as a little girl by the name of Leela. Following butterflies into a forest, you trip and fall into a
    mysterious and colorful cave, filled with glowing lights and plants like you've never seen before. From here on,
    your journey takes you to a wondrous new place, where, the deeper you dwell into, you'll find a world filled with fantasy,
    with it's own inhabitants and wild life, where certain rules that you used to know, rules of perception, physics,
    light or gravity, act in strange, interesting and unexpected ways. Can you find your way home through this
    strange land? and... will you want to ?

Sketch:
    [​IMG]

Mock-up art:
    [​IMG]

If you have interesting ideas we will consider implementing them.

Please let me know if you have any questions! : D

2. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    The artstyle looks nice, something my kid might like.
    But at 4 years age he won't be doing much in terms of the kind of puzzle I expect from an adventure game aimed mainly at adults.

Maybe consider adding a "kid mode", where you can just walk around and experience the world/landscape, without any puzzles?

3. Platypus2

Platypus2 Member

Sep 22, 2015
    Hi Nullzone
    We are happy that you liked the art.
    Actually we are planning this game for casual gamers of age 5-90, and more focus on the experience rather than difficulty.
    Your idea about "Kid mode" is also very interesting, i will tell this to our designer.

4. Dinomaniak

Dinomaniak New Member

Sep 26, 2015
    Thanks Nullzone ! please know that these graphics are only a mock-up, the final ones will be a lot different, considerably more polished and crisp.

I think we might have given the impression that the game is specifically aimed towards one niche, it's not ! it's actually something you could figure by yourself while waiting for the order in a restaurant, or sit down and enjoy it with your daughter, while both trying to see the solutions first :) , and she might surprise you.
    Reminds me of the first time I beat my father at chess, it gave a pleasant and memorable experience to both of us :) .

Original and interesting idea, I really like it ! Is there any other game that uses this mode ?

The puzzles will not be as difficult as point & click games, instead, the game will rely more on logic, observation, understanding and experimenting, which is fit to people of all ages :) , and sometime children are surprisingly faster than adults :) .
    No math will be involved in the gameplay, I promise ! :D

5. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Even if it's "just" a mockup, the graphics style is great.
    And no, I don't know any other games with a "kid mode", so I'll shamelessly take credit for the idea ;)
    The only one that goes in that direction is "Nimian Legends: Brightridge"; and that's a game without any combat or puzzles, just exploration. My little one loved it, he just walked/flew/swam around to enjoy the sights. That's where I got the idea from.

Oh, and welcome to TA, both of you!

6. Platypus2

Platypus2 Member

Sep 22, 2015
    Hi Nullzone
    Thank you, i am also very happy to be in TA community!
    I personally like your suggestion, but it is up to our designer (Dinomaniak) to consider it and make a decision.

7. Platypus2

Platypus2 Member

Sep 22, 2015
    #7 Platypus2, Sep 29, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  8. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Totally missed that last update.
    Compared to the drawing in the first post, the 3D model looks a lot more chibi-like.
    If that's not just in my head: Did you chose that style on purpose?

9. Dinomaniak

Dinomaniak New Member

Sep 26, 2015
    #9 Dinomaniak, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
    @Nullzone - thank you kindly for the welcome ! :)
    The 3d model has been finalized, we've taken it through TopoGun in order to lower it's amount of polygons, and textured it twice, then rigged it and rendered several animations with it. The idea is that we'll have A LOT of actions/animations for the main character, from the simple idle, all the way to falling off from leave onto leave.
    I know that it may look Chibi at first glance, but it's actually a lot more Disney-like 3D once up-close in the rendered version :) . We'll probably post that at some point, it all depends on your requests ! :)

I apologize for being a little bit forum shy, I'm still trying to adapt to it :) the truth is that we've been working A LOT behind closed doors, enjoying the game more than I can explain :) . Every day trying to add new things and experiment with all sort of content to make the world feel more complete.

In the meanwhile, I'd like to share with you a small screen from the game ( WIP ) :

[​IMG]

tomorrow I'll be happy to showcase a little bit from behind the theory on how we create the levels, and how we build the individual elements within.

Also, this week we plan to have a few playable levels - please read early DEMO / Alpha for PC ( we could also carry out other ports, so just ask away ! ) - where you'll find out a lot more about the game and it's very unique mechanics, so please have a great day, and stay tuned ! :)

10. Schned

Schned Active Member

Mar 15, 2014
    The artstyle looks very kid-friendly, is this only for kids?