Hi! We're Backabit. Here's our game Ramps!

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by u2elan, Dec 9, 2010.

1. u2elan

u2elan Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2010
    iOS Developer
    Portland, OR
    Hey guys,

I've been perusing these forums for quite a while and periodically posting. My business partner and I just founded our new indie dev company, Backabit, and we're really excited to formally introduce ourselves to you today and show you a preview of our upcoming title Ramps.

Ramps is a beautiful, fast-paced physics puzzler with 100 levels, 300 challenges and addictive, dynamic gameplay.

The concept is simple: Position and rotate your ramps, tap the dispenser, and if all works out, get your ball into the cup. Things get interesting though as numerous obstacles are poisted to stand in your way. Obstacles like blood-thirsty robot piranha, nefarious, snow-ball-chucking penguins and many more!

I'd love to hear your feedback on how the game looks and is shaping out, as well as our approach to promo materials. We've put a ton of time, energy and love into this, and we're not afraid to hear constructive feedback (we're calling you out, Mr. Ugly. Bring it!).

Ramps is currently under review by Apple and will hopefully be available next week.

It has full retina display support, full Game Center integration with Leaderboards and Achievements, and a 3 - 5 hour play-through time for hardcore gamers.

Here's our trailer, which is also on our website: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKCRB3J3V1w

Thanks, and your feedback is greatly appreciated! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany

lol.. sup with me? you guys do your stuff as you wish ;) hehe

the first thing i noticed is that your screenshots are not very descriptive..

the art is nice and clean (possible a bit too clean).. but the screenies don't tell me anything about how the actual game is played..

thoose 5 screenshots you have on itunes are the second biggest selling ooportunity you have after your icon..

none of your "slogans" tell me anything about the actualy game.. nor does the image tell me much..

then i checked out the video.. and its nicely done but again.. its hard for me to tell what i actualy have todo in the game.. you show the scene with the robot for a very short time.. and if you don't know to expect to read something is gone by .. and the res shows some nice animations etc. but i still could not really say how the games plays..

you have some special abilities i assume but you don't say anything about this etc.

so while the game looks nice (a bit sterile) you don't communicate enough what the game is actualy about..

3. u2elan

u2elan Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2010
    iOS Developer
    Portland, OR
    Great feedback man, I appreciate it. We'll take a look at these and see how we can better incorporate more descriptive captions for the screenshots.

I totally see your point with the tutorial portion of the video being sped-through. I was torn with this as it seemed like it may be more compelling to jump straight to the action.

Perhaps I'll compromise and slow that part down just a touch so that the concept is at least a bit more digestable.

Thanks again, this is really helpful! And nothing personal with regards to picking on you, you just speak your mind a lot so I figured you could take it. ;)

4. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany

well why not just overlay the robot with his text bubbles over actual gameplay? so you still have the "action" and have the "descriptions"..

the robot could explain whats going on in the background... if you even get it voiced over that would be the topping on the cake.. (if its a good voice over)

should be not that hard on the compositing... not sure about the sound part.

and no i don't mind any picking.. i actualy don't really care.. you can call me names all day long :)

5. 99c_gamer

99c_gamer Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    I think the 3rd screenshot with the arms is the best. You should put that one first because it looks the most interesting.

6. u2elan

u2elan Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2010
    iOS Developer
    Portland, OR
  7. pchukwura

pchukwura Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2010
    Co-Founder/Software Engineer
    Atlanta