Potential name conflict?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by eJayStudios, Mar 14, 2011.

1. eJayStudios

eJayStudios Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Hi,

I want to call my new upcoming game 'Grid Racing'. Apple allowed me to create new app in iTunes connect without problems.

I googled 'Grid Racing' and game called GRID from Codemasted came up. Quite often in many websites it was mentioned as Grid racing. From what I understand Codemaster has trademark on word Grid.

Can I run into problems with 'Grid Racing'? I'm not sure why they call their game Grid as there is not much relations to grid from what I can tell.

My game though is all about racing on grid.

Any thoughts?

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I've never heard it being called Grid Racing... it's usually either written as Race Driver: GRID or just GRID, but if they've got a trademark on the word then your name does sound worryingly similar. I'm no expert but it sounds to me like it could go either way. They're reportedly working on a sequel at the moment so they might be more active on chasing up any infringement they come across.

Oh, and their game is called GRID in reference to the starting grid on a race track ;)

3. eJayStudios

Oct 17, 2009
    #3 eJayStudios, Mar 14, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
    Thanks mate! You probably right, the name is Grid, but because it's about racing it naturally comes up as Grid racing :)

Regarding trademark on word I'm not so sure, they have TM next to word Grid so I don't know if this for game or word, I'm no expert on those things :confused:

Edit: ok, looks like they have this: "Race Driver"™ and "Race Driver: Grid"™ are trademarks of Codemasters.

So looks lie at least in theory I should be safe :)

4. ArtCoder

ArtCoder Well-Known Member

If you're having doubts yourself, I'd say it's not safe. Why risk having a problem with Codemasters in the future? Is it really that important that your game includes the word "grid"?

5. eJayStudios

Oct 17, 2009
    To be honest, yes as this word defines gameplay of my game.

6. ArtCoder

ArtCoder Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I must say "grid racing" defines nothing to me. I can understand that it may go well with your gameplay, but you should think about what the title says to your potential customers... I'm not sure that name is worth the potential trouble down the line.

7. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    You could post a few screenshots and see if anyone can come up with another name that you like the sound of? It can't hurt to try :)

8. Moonjump

Moonjump Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    Game designer
    Lincoln, UK
    My guess is that you would be OK, and that Codemasters wouldn't do anything about it, but I'm not certain about it.

As can be seen from recent events, there have been quite a few conflicts recently over intellectual property. The laws have some grey areas, and can vary between countries, and some some will push that, or just use the threat of legal action to make the other side back down.

I've had several job interviews at Codemasters and they seemed a decent set-up. It might be worth contacting them. You never know, the response may make a decent story for marketing the game.

9. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Sounds like a good idea to me. People don't often think to contact someone because they're worried about the response, but if they're going to take action they'll do it regardless of whether or not you talked to them first.

10. eJayStudios

Oct 17, 2009
    Thank you guys! Idea about contacting Codemasters is great! :)

It's too early to post screenshots though, sorry :)

11. touchten

touchten Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    In my honest opinion,
    EVEN after contacting codemaster (which is the right way)

Please make sure Nobody else owns the Trademark for the name

"Grid Racing" or "Grid" something...

And if codemaster reply to you and allowed you to use the name..
    Get a WRITTEN consent... not just email, but signed by authorized party,
    in PDF..

nowadays trigger-happy big name company can anyhow and anytime
    send a DMCA takedown letter for "Trademark violation"

a trademark violation can be valid even if your name "confuse" customer to the trademark rights holder..

just be careful and know your rights!

Thanks

Anton

12. apphame

apphame Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Planner
    Hong Kong
    why not change to another name?

13. Hercule

Hercule Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    #13 Hercule, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
    Codemaster will probably do:
    - Not answer you. ( try to get the guy in charge of this kind of things is probably very hard).
    - Say NO, even if there isn't any valid reason.

They could say Yes if something push them...like money.
    But there is no reason to give you a permission on anything for free.

Yous should ask a trademark lawyer, change your name or take a risk.

14. SuperFunApps

SuperFunApps Well-Known Member

I agree that if you don't get a written permission (PDF and signed) you're better off re-inventing the name. Who knows, in being forced to re-name it, you could come up with something much more innovative as a name. The name/icon pair are huge in marketing your game!