reputation system

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by Real Racing Fan, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Real Racing Fan

Real Racing Fan Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    I wish
    THE MATRIX
    I think that toucharcade should have a reputation system so you can see what points are good and bad, and to give kudos to a excellent post. I would write more about this, but I have to go to sleep.

2. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Instead of giving points to users, i'd twist it a bit and support the idea of giving rep points to individual posts which a user finds particularly useful, helpful or interesting.

A section could be created, filtering the most-repped posts of the day, week and month.

3. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    A rep system is useless and would do more harm than good, imo. You'd have people posting "Rep me!" nonstop. It would distinguish posters, but for what reason? If someone makes a good post, good for them. Quote it and tell why you agree with it. Creating artificial differentiations between posters usually just causes enmity. It's one more thing for people to get big-headed about, or get defensive about.

What KtK is saying would be better, but it would require maintenance and I'd be willing to bet that more often than not the post of the day would be someone's smartass remark or ironical nonsense-rant rather than something that's actually useful.

4. h0130j03

h0130j03 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    So true.

5. flybird

flybird Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2011
    What are the criteria of being reputed?

6. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Rep system is useless. But I do like the post vote system which MR has started using recently. MR articles tend to generate 100s of posts/comments and its simply too much for most people to go through the dozens of pages just to get a gist of what others think about the news. Especially considering the majority of them are useless comments. They now allow you to up/down vote a post and the posts with more up votes show up on the main article page. For example, if you've read the comments featured on this page http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/16/apple-launches-2011-back-to-school-promotion/ you've pretty much read all the 250+ posts in 20x less time.

So it can be useful if implemented correctly instead of the dumb system which most other forums use.

7. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Rep me! Oh wait...

8. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    If it were implemented I think it would be simpler to only have positive votes and no negatives. If people agree strongly with a post or find it helpful, they can vote it up. If they disagree or don't like the post, they can keep their mouths shut instead of starting arguments. The best posts would make it to the top and the others would remain neutral, just as the forums are currently.

9. h0130j03

Jun 28, 2009
    +9999!!! You are a god!
    -------------------------------
    See the flaws of a rep system RRF?

10. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    I don't think it's really needed. If I like or agree with what someone says then I can thank them, or tell them that I agree by quoting them in a post. Reputation systems have always felt pointless to me, and often they create more arguments and more work for the mods.

11. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    I welcome the inevitable drama from rep systems.

12. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    I'd be okay with it if you had a post cut off, like 200, before people can participate in the system. And maybe a length cut off too, like only after so many months.

13. yemi

yemi Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Please , please toucharcade writers , administators, and Mods dont even consider this idea. I seen forums where the highly rep people feel thier words are from Gods lips. They feel thier fart's smell like fresh roses and thier crap is golden nuggets worth millions of dollars. They feel thier opinion is %100 fact and the only one who can question them is someone who is of higher rep.

14. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    Sig material right there. But I do think you have a point.

15. stonery

stonery Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Editor
    Neverland
    If really this system can be carried out, post cut off and length cut off are not fair enough to rep anyone, while the quality of the post is the most important! That is to say if he/she reaches a certain number of high quality posts, he/she can be reputed by the mods and admins.

16. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I took the cut off idea to mean where users can start giving rep, not receiving it.

None of this is gonna happen anyway, the admins just laugh at the whole prospect every time it's mentioned.

17. stonery

stonery Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Editor
    Neverland
    Gotcha

Lol

18. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

A rep system only works if you limit the use to those who have street cred.

19. h0130j03

Jun 28, 2009
    Exactly, rep only serves to inflate egos.

20. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    What an original idea!