Leaving your comfort zone!

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Syndicated Puzzles, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Syndicated Puzzles

Syndicated Puzzles Well-Known Member

I invent and publish games and puzzles. For the first time I am leaving my comfort zone and I am working on a Health and Fitness app. I have huge respect for developers that slip in and out of app categories with ease. One thing is for sure, developing apps in the game categories really helps a developer feel comfortable in any other category. The game categories being the toughest ( over crowded) really conditions us to use the same principles in game design and apply it to new categories.

Time to jump the fence?

2. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    I wonder if other developers feel the same way about game categories.

http://148apps.biz/app-store-metrics/?mpage=appprice
    Total # apps: 112,399
    Games: 21,816
    Total cost to buy all apps: $325,742.78
    Games: $29,800.72
    Average App Price $2.90
    Games: $1.37

3. bravetarget

bravetarget Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Great post here. This was the one of the many goals of my Health & Fitness app, taking aspects of game design and venturing those qualities out into a less crowded category, that still attracts a large portion of iphone users. The majority of the apps in Health & Fitness use default interface and is based purely on functionality with minimal interactivity or feeling of accomplishment that you get so often from games.

Really excited to see another developer taking this route and curious to see what you can dish out.

4. Syndicated Puzzles

Syndicated Puzzles Well-Known Member

Bravetarget,

Love the roughing of the feathers. The health app I am developing is going to be big. (of course) Why because game designers are competitive right to the end. We have no where to hide. Games have to be good , like you point out, other categories still might reward an average app that only uses text. Not the game sections. Tough audience!