How afraid are Devs of making $30 iphone games? Do they need to be? U3 Engine Content

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by acidshaman, Dec 22, 2009.

1. acidshaman

acidshaman Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    You can charge whatever you want. In my eyes, the iPhone/iTouch is pricey enough that people who own one would drop $30+ dollars if the game was good enough.

With the new Q3 Engine, I could easily drop $30 bux on like a 40+ hour rpg... I could drop $60 bux if it was even more...

Not to mention a FPS that has a serious story and intense maps/leaderboards/online mode with CTF, King of the Hill, Deathmatch CTF (my own idea, not sure how original it is), Detonate and Disarm etc..

Do you think the Dev's are seriously afraid of dropping pricy titles? I think Apple's touch device market is pretty broad and has cash to spend (although I DO NOT want Dev's thinking that we have cash flowing out of our pockets, and I will not pay for overpriced stuff to fuel that fantasy.)

I say look to the PSP pricing of these games to test the waters. I think the market is ready and the technology is now demanding Dev's to start getting serious.

Quake 3 engine alone allows:
    FPS
    RPG's
    RTS

Anything!

I really like the fact that the Quake 3 engine will be available because it allows Dev's time to focus on artwork, story, and content rather than their engine (although I absolutely loathe the 'roller skate' feel of many games like UT etc., this is easily adjustable IMO)

2. wikoogle

wikoogle Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    #2 wikoogle, Dec 23, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
    Until someone makes a dual joystick control pad for the iphone that replicates how it feels to game on the Xbox 360's pad, I'll pass on $30 games.

Playing on the touchpad is while decent, just not that immersive or fun. So until they make a dual joystock, dual trigger sexy control pad attachment for the iPhone, people won't be able to justify plopping down that much on a game.

Also, the graphics would also have to be a lot better, which means that it would have to be a newer generation of iPhone. Something with...

720p Video Recording

5.0 Megapixel Camera with Flash and a much much bigger lens so that it actually takes decent photos even in very low light situations

Backlit OLED Screen with 720 x 480 Resolution

9th Gen VX Dual Core 2.0 Ghz HD Capable Processor

4G Capable

Wifi N

Bluetooth 3.0

64 GB

1 Ghz of Ram

HD Antenna and TV Tuner (There are constantly hd tv signals being broadcast by ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox. Why not let us tap into those signals so that we can what hdtv on our phones wherever we are)

HD Radio Tuner & FM Transmitter

HDMI TV Out/Projector Out So We Can Run High Res Movies & Slideshows Stored on Our Phone on our HDTVs.

A Low Reflective Screen Mode For When You Wish To Read Ebooks On The iPhone

Not as much real estate wasted on the front of the phone as current iPhones (The black part on the top and bottom of the iphone need to be much smaller, basically, almost all of the front of the phone should be the screen) It's ugly how much space/real estate is wasted on the current design of the front of the iPhone

Front facing camera so that we could make videocalls, atleast while connected to Wifi N

iChat Support

Flash Support (I want to access hulu from my iphone damn it!)

RFID Chip & IR Chip (So that you can use it as a universal remote)

Removable/Replacable Battery

Over the air sync with Macs, Apple TV, PC Servers etc, so that we can stream HD Videos off of our PCs to our iPhones anytime we have WiFi Access, and Can Even Stream HD Content from Our Phones to our HDTVs

Touch-sensitive places at all corners (at left and right of home button and top right and top left) (so you can use an app without blocking your view with your hands and it would be a great improvement like 'scrolling' or something like that) with easy turn on and off like double tap in corners at the same time (you won't have an 'accident double tap at two corners at the same time

Louder Dual Speakers (I'm sick of accidently covering up the speaker while playing games)

A sexy looking gamepad addon that adds dual analog sticks and dual triggers to the iPhone so that gaming on the iPhone actually becomes FUN

3. acidshaman

May 5, 2009
    Well looking at the PSP, the games there are $40 each, and in my eyes the Q3 engine is better than anything on there, just leaving room for content (and at 8gb minimum, there is lots of room).

I suggest comparing the games vs the PSP rather than console, because we are talking about the portable market.

I personally find that the controls on the PSP are not vastly better than the touch device (which I prefer to have zero controls because of its other purposes)

I have said that if the touch devices ever got a keyboard, there is an automatic D-pad and button layout.. (but I would rather forego the keyboard)

4. craighauser

craighauser Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    I heard they were coming out with a gamepad for the iPod, or that it is already out. idk. I think that I would pay 30 easy for a good port of Half Life 2 and some other games. I have been wishing they would do this for a long time, since they began talking about bioshock. 3 Part installment and crisp graphics, I think there is a market, no doubt.

5. acidshaman

May 5, 2009
    In my eyes, I hope we see new games, not just a million ports.. perhaps games that even utilize the touch device, accelerometer, and (triple?) axis... franchises that could evolve with the device

6. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    How about we reach the $20 mark before we talk about $30 games.

7. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    You guys have to take into account the size of $30 games. I dont have that much room anymore.

8. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    And don't forget that if you remove your $30 game from the device you lose all your saved data.

9. jclardy

jclardy Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    I think another problem with something like a $30 FPS is that to have multiplayer you need lots of players. When Eliminate first came out it had about 2,000 players online at any point in time, for a $30 game to get that it would be pretty difficult since most people are now accustomed to paying less than $9.99 for apps.

Although if it was really awesome it may have a chance.

10. acidshaman

May 5, 2009
    #10 acidshaman, Dec 23, 2009
    What device are you using? If you have 8gb you have to realize that you cant put everything you want on your iPhone... if you have more I say its just a balance of what you want, your entire cd collection/every tv show+movie/and a bunch of apps...

I think that in the app department you could atleast replace older apps with the new stuff, as for other content..

you get what you pay for, if you drop the cash on 32gb then you have room for everything, if you dont, you need to make some decisions.. all i can say is that I doubt that even with the 8gb of content you couldn't make room for a PSP-like game, and if your just too lazy to switch them all out (understandable).. you get what you pay for

----

As for not enough players, I think the touch device market of apple's is affluent enough to populate the game

and as for losing data when you delete the game... why delete it if your not done with it? and if you dont have room (u get what you pay for) it might be nice if the dev's could make a backup system with ur iTunes

11. theaustrianoak

theaustrianoak Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2009
    it's the unreal 3 engine, not the quake 3 engine.

and there are games on the psn/xbla that use the ue3 engine that only cost $10 - 15

12. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

I would buy an Unreal Tournament 3 port forr $60 if it hooked me up with PC players

13. acidshaman

May 5, 2009
    not sure if the device is ready for that?

14. loves2spoon

loves2spoon Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Sales
    California
    Since you can get new 360 games for less than $30 even $20 on eBay/Amazon from time to time I'm going to say no.

Paris Hilton has a better chance of becoming President than me paying $30 for a game on my iPhone.

15. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

Tone the graphics down, then maybe...just maybe

16. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    I have friends with ipods that are 32gigs and full up with songs. Many of us listen to music....

17. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    I have a 8gb ipod.
    pass.

18. craighauser

craighauser Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    No, thats not true, you plug it into your iTunes and it backs it up so you can take apps on and off and you wont lose progress.

19. robertf224

robertf224 Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    For one thing the market has evolved to the point where that isn't possible. Some people refuse to pay 99 cents for a game, so the sales would be pretty horrid unless said game received glowing reviews, which it likely wouldn't due to competitors on the platform who can offer similar experiences for way less money. Also, it's not the right demographic. You need to remember that the majority of idevice users are iphone owners. It is their cell phone. They are not going to drop 30 dollars on a game in the first place, but also a 30 dollar game would not offer the type of experience cell phone users want. They want a quick, fun, couple of minutes. A huge 3d game would have big loading times, and if someone is only going to play a game for 3 minutes, why would they choose that one? I'd love to see it happen, but it is unlikely that it ever will.

20. acidshaman

May 5, 2009
    #20 acidshaman, Dec 23, 2009
    first, i would not have them tone down the graphics for PC compatibility.. its a step backwards

Im sure you listen to music, thats why i listed it

Its your call, if your really need 32GB of music on hand @ all times.. I think that you could make room for some apps.. plus 32gb of music means zero apps

IMO you could try making some playlists... 32 GB of AAC+ quality is what? like 2.3 days? seems excessive to me, I dont need my whole library at hand

IMO just look at the PS3 market, many are adults who love gaming.. 18-20+ just for starters (aka people who are working)

Can you really say that people would not use their idevice for a long gaming session?

Not to mention that there must be countless kids with the iTouch (my cousin is a perfect example), i think they would love have games comparable to (or better than) PSP, on their music/movie/internet device