Time to move on?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Slaysme, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Slaysme

Slaysme Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Ohio
    When will no device left behind offically end? As technology moves forward and hardware becomes more powerful we eventually begin to lag behind, in an attempt to "wait" for the older devices. Software could always do more, but devs seem afraid of the backlash of non compatibly of older devices. (xenome comes to mind in recent times.major backlash over that, even though it says so in the description ) I'm not saying that every one needs to run out and buy the new devices, just asking that we move on soon. You cannot play a ps2 game on a ps1. Let's see more titles look to the future of idevice usage. Break free from the past! Push that device! I believe that we will see this trend shift by the iPad 4.2 release and launch of iPod touch 4th gen. I sure hope so.

Apple is mostly responsible for this. They Try to make everything a little too idiot friendly. Sorry about the rant, what do you think?

2. ElectricGrandpa

ElectricGrandpa Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    I know what you're saying, but as a developer, I don't know if it's a good idea. With the iPhone 4, you have to draw 4x more pixels, so it's not like you've got a ton of extra processing power to put towards crazy effects.

There are still a TON of users out there with the first and second gen iPod touches, as well as the first gen iPhone and especially the iPhone 3G. There will always be some devs out there that push the devices to the limit and require better devices, but it really doesn't make sense to limit your market if you don't HAVE to. Also, do you really want games that drain your battery as much as they can?

That being said, I wish more devs put options in their games to turn on "super good graphics" or whatever.

3. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    The majority of apps out there still run perfectly fine on older devices. There are only a handful that require newer ones. I really don't think it's a question of technology so much as whether or not devs are willing to put the time and energy into making a complete, satisfying product (with the answer often being NO). It's also simply good business sense to reach as many people as possible. Blizzard, one of the most successful PC Game companies in the world, has a reputation for keeping their system requirements extremely low. It works for a reason. Until people have a need to upgrade, they won't.

As for Xenome-- i think it's really misleading that the devs did not place a warning about compatibility at the top. Instead, they put it halfway down their page-long description. The appstore itself needs clearer markings for things like that.

4. Grubjelly

Grubjelly Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    No device left behind without a whine, which still works out for innovators over time.

5. Slaysme

Apr 17, 2010
    Ohio
    I see your points. I hardly wish to see all apps loose compatibly with older devices. I just want to see more complex projects take fruitition, with more general support from the users. I am no graphics whore. I just want to see the limits pushed.

In all reality, the next major ios update may not be compatible further back then 3rd gen.
    Apple is already not being kind to 1st gen users. This will only continue. Maybe an official upgrade/trade program to get all users an opportunity at a discounted, but newer device.
    Then apple could get mass media attention by giving a poorer country a surplus of devices. Oh, in the idea world.....

6. Harpgliss

Harpgliss Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Here No More
    Hi,

It is all about the Benjamins, too much money in keeping support for the older devices.

The market is too cutthroat and developers are not always making enough money to keep ramping up their apps to stay cutting edge.

It's only the fault of Apple in the fact that they created a market and a device that customers are clamoring for and that developers have deluged the market to the point where, if they make money to stay cutting edge, it is the exception, not the rule.

For myself, as a customer, I have already seen four apps that I have installed get updated and drop support for my first gen device and the trend can only get worse.

Now, I do keep the previous version on my device but when I get updates through my PC, I need to screen each update for this issue now.

Cutting edge is great but when you cut support for a large number of devices, especially developers that can ill afford to do so, there will be problems.

David

7. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I think the problem is the reluctance to accept the fact that electronics are quickly becoming devices you're supposed to replace every year or two, especially portable electronics like digital media players. That's the reason every iPod has had its battery sealed inside, Apple knows the majority of customers will either by a new one by the time it fails, or just spring for a new one when it finally does fail and the person at the Genius Bar explains they'll either replace the battery for $60, or give you 10% off a new one if they can recycle your old one.

The days of buying something and just using it forever are long gone, because nothing is "made like they used to be" since no one is willing to pay for that level of quality anymore. Shit, I remember growing up my parents had one TV for probably close to 15 years, and one VCR for almost as long. Now TV's are sold that flat out say they will stop working after X hours (granted, this hour count is usually tens of thousands of hours but still) in their spec sheets, I've had DVD players burn out in less than a year, and I'm on my second Wii and fourth XBOX 360.

In the words of Bob Dylan, the times they are a-changin'.

8. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Tell me about it. The best set of speakers in our house were made around 1970, massive badass wooden things.

9. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Haha, exactly. My parents are still using the massive tower speakers they bought before I was born, and they sound fantastic. I'm on my second set of home theater speakers in less than 10 years, and I can't even tell you how many sets of computer speakers I've been through... And it's not like I abuse my electronics or anything either.

10. Beto_Machado

Beto_Machado Well-Known Member

#10 Beto_Machado, Jul 10, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
    You're comparing a PS2 to a iPhone 4?

You're insane. Consoles aren't re-released every year like the iDevices. Use your brain.

Developers should make games that can run on all devices. If they have the resources, then they can simply use the power available on newer devices of textures, resolution, etc. Look at Chaos Rings! It's one of the best-looking games and it runs fine all the way.

11. Slaysme

Apr 17, 2010
    Ohio
    The difference between power from 1st gen to current/next gen IS quite substantial. Sorry the idea of better games etc gets so many people butt hurt. My original comparison seems to have been lost. When information needs to meet a certain critera so that the slowest kids can grasp it, the higher end, where important ideas originate, is neglected. All so the masses can continue to be average. Lower average = lower overall. There will come a point where the limitations of 4 year old devices really begin to show. I believe this transition needs to begin sooner than later, so as to increase the time available for an Inevetiable changeover.