Top 10 iOS Games 2014

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by imcookie, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Hi to all you lovely folks at Touch Arcade.

I have put together my best games of 2014 for your viewing pleasure. What do you think of my list? Love it? Hate it? What would you change?

This is my first TOP 10 so go easy on me although I really do appreciate constructive criticism. :D

2. Moocow

Moocow Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2014
    #2 Moocow, Jan 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
    Pretty much disagree with every single game in your list except Sailor's Dream.
    But meh you can't really "criticize" someone's opinion, that's why it's called an opinion.
    Also every entry in your list is a very casual game. You didn't list any high production value game at all. In fact except for the two dirt racing games you listed no entry in your list was even 3D, half of your list were just either endless runners or "jump to collect coins" games, the genres are WAY too limited. Top 10 lists generally shouldn't even have more than 1 game from a genre unless it's just a "top 10 [genre name] list". You didn't list any TD, shooter, adventure, RPG, music, mystery and tons of other games.

3. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    #3 coolpepper43, Jan 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
    I think it's a great list and moo is a little crazy to criticize this list so much since many of those games were also on other people's top 10 lists. Heck even TA's list had some of these games.
    Edit, oops, I didn't see the op said to criticize.

4. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Nice list.

Wait, no, this is my chance to try things from the other side

HOW MUCH DID THEY PAY YOU

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I think the game choices are decent. The only game i didnt really like was that BMX game.

I think the voice acting of the reviewer is pretty bad though. In my opinion it has to sound as natural sounding as possible, and this has the makings of a really bad reading session, like a 5-year old emotionlessly delivering a declamation piece. The ill-timed laughs and fake sounding "pee-yews" are terrible.

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    If you ask 10 people for their best games of last year you'll get 10 different answers.

I actually quite like lists where its not the 'norm' as often i'll find one or two games which i think i'll give it a try.

7. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Are you from Manchester? Your voice reminds me of Gary Barkow mixed with Liam Gallagher :) Husband said Liverpool.

These are your top 10 games so there is no right or wrong. I always have a little laugh when people tell someone what they like is wrong, or that they shouldn't like it. If everyone liked the same stuff the world would be boring and there wouldn't be much discussion.

You can tell you've out a lot of work into your video, I would say some parts sounds forced/ unnatural. But saying that, you've done a million times better than I could so I can't really criticise.

There's a lot of games I like on your list, and some I've not tried yet

8. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Properly enjoyed that. Like an iOS gaming review from Shaun Ryder. Quality. Even picked up the ones I didn't have - Sunburn, Sailor's Dream, Offraod Legends 2 and Pumped BMX2. Proper respect for the phrases 'fart in a whirlwind' and 'oh, my days'. Top drawer.

9. You know what I never noticed that until now. I love big production games but to be fair I play those sort of games on my PC or Xbox, that way I can sit down and really get stuck in while playing on the big telly. So obviously that means I leave my casual gaming for the iPad or iPhone.
    By the way I don't think I had 1 single endless runner in my list unless Mikey Boots has an endless mode, not sure.

Cool I'm glad you liked it.

Lol I thought someone might say that because in some parts I realize I do come across as a little over enthusiastic!! I wish I did get paid to play though, that would be my dream job.

Yeah I have to agree with some of that, but I think an emotionless 5 year old was maybe a teeny-weeny bit on the harsh side lol. There are some moments where I have to say even I cringed but the voice was already recorded by then and it's a total ball ache to re-do it as it was recorded on my iPhone, uploaded then edited on the PC.
    So I take that on board so next time I will try to sound more natural and take the extra time to listen to how I sound before I send it off to be edited.

I 100% agree it's so such a subjective topic.

I'm from Grimsby originally but I moved over to Leeds about 8 years ago. I'm the type of person that will pick up the local accent a little. That would account for the Manchester tone of my voice.
    I'm really glad you noticed I put a ton of work into the video. I took me 3 days of editing and a full day of uploading and deleting because YouTube processor had noticed I used copyrighted music. Nobody seems to have noticed that there no background track which is good.

Ha ha nice one, shound, shweet, shoooorted, shee yoh laator!! That was supposed to be a Manchester accent delivered in the written word.
    Glad you liked it :)

10. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    Is their a written list of the video so I don't have to watch the video if I don't have to

11. Yes, here is the list:

1) Monument Valley White heavy tick mark
    2) Leo's Fortune White heavy tick mark
    3) Pumped BMX 2 White heavy tick mark
    4) Bean Dream White heavy tick mark
    5) RETRY
    6) Out There White heavy tick mark
    7) Sunburn White heavy tick mark
    8) Mikey Boots White heavy tick mark
    9) Off road legends 2 White heavy tick mark
    10) Sailors dream White heavy tick mark

12. racr

racr Active Member

Jan 4, 2014
    Self-employed.
    Europe
    That's mine. I see some of our most favorite games are the same : )

1). Threes!
    2). Baldur’s Gate II
    3). Asphalt Overdrive
    4). Unpossible
    5). SXPD: Extreme Pursuit Force
    6). GT Racing 2
    7). Urban Trial Freestyle
    8). Trials Frontier
    9). Off Road Legends 2
    10). Sunburn White Heavy

13. Ooooh shizzle, if there was any game in 2014 I kept repeatedly forgetting to purchase the most it would have to be Baldur's Gate II! Believe it of not I have never ever played played Baldur's Gate II on ANY platform I'm ashamed to say. However, now that you have mentioned it I am downloading as I type.
    Your pick of games is not too dissimilar to mine therefore it's a perfect pick lol!! Seriously though it's a great top 10, thanks for sharing it.