iTunes developer account: 100 devices per year

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by McJaws, Jan 11, 2010.

1. McJaws

McJaws Active Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Hello everyone,

"You can register up to 100 devices per year for development purposes. Any devices added, then later removed, still count towards your maximum number of registered devices per year."

Has anyone been able to work around this? I'm expecting to need more than 100 due to multiple projects in the future - should i get multiple accounts at iTunes?

I highly doubt Gameloft has a limit of 100 with all the testing they need to do for their games.

Cheers

2. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    I`m not a dev but I think there are two plans for devs. The $99 one has a limit of 100 devices and then there`s a costlier plan too which allows more devices.

3. bravetarget

bravetarget Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Wait so let me get this straight, you and your team are going to go through more than 100 iphones and ipods? wth??

4. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Found it. There is an Enterprise plan too where you can use more than 100 devices

http://developer.apple.com/iphone/program/apply.html

5. McJaws

McJaws Active Member

Jun 23, 2009
    True, there is Enterprise program for GL...

As for going through a hundred devices, well, my concern is when it comes time for testing if i add one device, for whatever reason that phone isn't good anymore, i cant replace it until the 1 year expiration.

I could be overzealous but i'm now cautious which tester i would add to the list for future beta testing ;)

6. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    don't beta testers just get ad-hoc builds? I didn't think you had to register their phone in your acct.

7. bravetarget

Sep 14, 2009
    you don't, the OP is mislead.

8. McJaws

McJaws Active Member

Jun 23, 2009
    #8 McJaws, Jan 11, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
    Actually, you do :)

adhoc builds you need to register their iphone into your account, this is why devs asked for the UDID of the beta tester's iPhone. I mean, if not, what's the point of having the 100 limit?

EDIT: Just reread the iPhone developer program and turns out Bravetarget is right...but theoretically what stops you then from posting the file on a website and selling it there? (outside of iTunes suing my ass)

9. nattylux

nattylux Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    We had to ask Apple to reset our 100 slots when we ran out. So they wiped everything, and we had to manually re-add all the devices we were still using. Makes you much pickier about who you add as a beta tester after going through that :)

If you're out of spots, I'd suggest submitting a support request to Apple and asking them to help you through it.

10. bravetarget

Sep 14, 2009
    Well, simply put -- the app store gets more traffic than your website :p

A lot of adhoc builds get put on piracy sites too, so be careful.

11. McJaws

McJaws Active Member

Jun 23, 2009
    I figured :)

Nat - thanks for the insight ;)

12. As far as I know, the only way to send out ad-hoc builds is to register the UDIDs of your beta testers and use that provisioning profile to code sign the app. For that, the limit of 100 comes into play.

Are you saying there is another way?

13. eJayStudios

eJayStudios Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Hmm, never heard of it?? Otherwise why there would be a limit anyway?

14. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    That's what I thought as well, unless I'm mistaken as well. I thought you need to gather the UDIDs of your beta testers, make the provisioning file, and then the ad hoc build AND the provisioning file goes to each tester.

15. McJaws

McJaws Active Member

Jun 23, 2009

Same here but if you see when Creating an Adhoc iPhone Distribution Provisioning Profile selecting the devices is "optional"

I havent tried it yet but assuming thats what makes it possible and what bravetarget was talking about

16. travisdunn

travisdunn Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Developer
    Amsterdam, NL
    Hrm. I was under the impression that adding devices to the Ad Hoc was mandatory, and that if you wanted to exceed the 100 device limit you'd have to remove devices from the list in the Developer Portal and replace them with other device UDIDs.

17. McJaws

McJaws Active Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Thats the debate at the moment :)