In-App Purchase with <3.0 ?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by MikeSz_spokko, Feb 12, 2010.

1. MikeSz_spokko

MikeSz_spokko Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    #1 MikeSz_spokko, Feb 12, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
    in short - is it possible to have in-app purchase with OS 2.2.1 ?

in long - we always thought that in-app purchases require OS 3.0, but just yesterday we noticed that in the latest update of iBomber they added in-app purchase option but the game requires only OS 2.2.1. at the same - tons of users are complaing about a broken update, it might be connected with 2.2.1...

so which one is it ? 3.0 needed or not ? we'd like to add in-app purchases to one of our games but it was compiled and released with 2.2.1 requirement only

2. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    In short, yes it is possible. Is it easy. Heavens no. It is worth it, heavens yes!

3. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    And here with Valentines Day I read that as "In-App Purchase with Love"

But it's a good question...

I don't see why not, unless there's a 3.x library that gets used to run the DLC bits... (I am not a developer, nor do I play one on TV.)

4. Dave Sims

Dave Sims Active Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Ireland
  5. MikeSz_spokko

May 27, 2009
    cool, that's what I thought - weak link Store Kit and go with 2.2.1 :) definitely want to try this :)

any hints on how to check what OS version is the app being run at ?

6. Dave Sims

Dave Sims Active Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Ireland
    This should do it:

Code:
    NSString *currSysVer = [[UIDevice currentDevice] systemVersion];

7. MikeSz_spokko

May 27, 2009
    thanks !

@ The prez 12521 - have you done it yourself ? if so - any tutorial that you have used ?

will be grateful for any help, tried to google but to no avail

8. Dave Sims

Dave Sims Active Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Ireland
    Have you already implemented In-App purchase or are you just looking to make your existing setup workable with 2.x?

9. MikeSz_spokko

May 27, 2009
    frankly speaking we didn't implement it yet at all. we were absolutely sure that to have InApps you cant compile for 2.2.1 so we never bothered... until I noticed the iBomber update info ;)

10. Dave Sims

Dave Sims Active Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Ireland
    Ah ok, I'm in the process of implementing it myself but I haven't had much time to work on it, check out the apple docs along with this series:

http://gamesfromwithin.com/in-app-purchases-part-1

I don't think they make a mention of weak linking, but I'm hoping it should be easy enough to figure out from the MailComposer example.

There's also services like http://urbanairship.com/ that handle a lot of the integration for you, but I'm not sure if they support 2.x.

Hope that helps somewhat.