Feedback from E3 conference (2013)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Connector, Jul 25, 2013.

1. #1 Connector, Jul 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
    I went to the E3 conference a couple of weeks back. Luckily, I got in one day due to a developer friend. One of the booths inside was Gameloft's. Since I have always liked Gameloft games such as Asphalt 7, Nova 3, and MC4; I was excited to talk to the Gameloft representatives. They started me off with that day's release Despicable Me : Minions, and then I asked him about Asphalt 8 and MC5.

I actually was looking for Eli and Arn, but I didn't see them at the conference, the conference was pretty cool, I took a ton of photos I would like to share some of them here. Of course E3 was mostly for consoles, but some things like Gameloft's booth were really interesting to me. Some of the other stuff like Xbox One's smartglass to was very interesting, and of course seeing the ps4 and xbox one was totally awesome as well.

I was shocked when Gameloft had fully working versions of both unreleased games! I got to play both Asphalt 8 and Modern Combat 5! Woohoo!

Asphalt 8 Notes

Wow!!! Asphalt 8 was a lot of fun! Not only do the physics seem better, this game relies on jumps after jumps after jumps! I assume I was playing on an ipad 4, and it was rock solid framerate wise. It looked alot better to me than Asphalt 7, and the graphics seemed a little smaller maybe. But i didn't cycle though the camera views which was kind of a shame, but usually in Asphalt games, I play with the regular car view, so probably the default view is what I would have picked anyway.

The thing I loved in this game was the jumping. You have a ton of ramps you can jump, tunnels that spiral so you can jump, and walls and such that you can jump. It is a great feeling to fly and with such a fast velocity, it is hella fun! It is cool too how you barrel roll, so you do a 180 in air, and land on your wheels. It is really a cool experience.

I loved Asphalt 8, not only are the graphics and details much better than A7, but the jumping and tunnels make this game great fun! Super highly recommended!

Here's some pictures that I took from my ipad 3 at E3 2013.

Asphalt 8 - E3 Alpha Version

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Asphalt 8 trailer

-------

Whirl the Squirrel:

I bought this game, and it is awesome!

I really like this game, I would recommend it highly. It is a little on the hard side, but I think it is fun and now seems to have a level skip option according to the developer.

The game to me is funner than Sonice the hedgehog games on ios, and really, I would have to say is a "Must Buy" if you like platform-sonic type games.

Some Whirl the Squirrel Update Notes:

A tutorial was added, which helps alot, also the difficulty was toned down a notch which was really good. Totally awesome update!

In the most recent update the ipad control positions were changed which is shown in my pictures below. The second picture is of the old version, the controls look like they were kinda ported over from the iphone version, meaning being too big and too far apart. Also, the buttons were probably too low for most people.

As you can see in the top picture, the update fixed both of these problems, the left right controls are now much smaller and closer together, so that is good. Also the placement is a little higher. I kinda wish it could have been made moveable cause in this day and age, all platform games probably should be made with moveable controls, but the updated controls work pretty well.

One thing to note is that the left right buttons work as a zone, so anything slightly above or below them will register too. This is kinda cool, when I was working with the developer of Crumble Zone, I was telling him that they need moveable controls, he said it was kinda hard to do, so he made the zones bigger. So make sure you try hitting outside the buttons for the zones, though it may feel a little awkward to hold your fingers outside the icons.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've also been trying to get the developer DioxisMining to put in icade support! I talked to him, and he said he will consider it, so I pray to god that we maybe able to enjoy this soon on icade!

[​IMG]

Here's some HDMI pictures, cause I am sure you all missed them so much...

HDMI on this game is a little tough. Since the game moves so fast, it does become a little blurry at times. Now, I have an ipad 3, so maybe the framerates are better on the ipad 4, but there is a slight jerkiness to this game on HDMI. But it is still very fun. I have attached two screenshots, one with a stretch zoom mode, and one with a zoomed zoom mode. The zoomed zoom mode, retains the original aspect ratio, and has less lag. The stretched fits nicely on the screen, and you can see all of it, but the lag is a little more. Unfortunately with HDMI, with a game that is pretty difficult, it is hard to play. That is why I am looking for the new update to decrease the difficulty a little so it will be easier to play on HDMI tv.

This is Stretch mode, better cause everything fits on the screen, lag is a hair more, but aspect ratio is off.

[​IMG]

This is Zoom mode, where it really zooms in, cuts a little off the top and bottom. Works well in driving games, but as you can see, you can't see the score. Does retain the right aspect ratios though.

[​IMG]

The bottom line though is this is a great game, definitely one of the best platform/sonic/endless runners combos out there.

Very highly recommended!

-------

Shifts

[​IMG]

I worked with the developer on this game to create a video as a tutorial manual. The game is a pretty good turn based space exploration game, but since I was kinda a newbie to this genre, trying to figure out the game was a little bit tough, so I asked the developer to make a video, and he did! He also put it into the last update, so that is great too! It still might be free as I type this, so make sure to pick it up and try it.

WHAT IS SHIFTS?
    Shifts is a turn-based strategy game set in a desolate universe. You play the Captain of a ship fleeing a dying Earth. Lost in space with the last five humans in the entire universe, it’s up to you to guide them through the stars. Find habitable planets and colonize them with creation engines before your nanovirus-infected Arkship self-destructs. With strategy and luck you'll find a new home for humanity.

[​IMG]

--------

Delta-V Racing

I was a beta tester for this new game called Delta-V Racing that came out today!!! I had the opportunity to have input in the addition of icade controls to this game, as well as other features in the game such as beta testing the ipad graphic positions. It plays nicely with my icade core joystick. I cut and pasted some of the developer notes from the developer below with more information.

Delta-V Racing is a universal iOS racing game featuring multiple event types as well as the ability to race the ghosts of your Game Center friends in all campaign events. The simple way to describe it is as a 2D version of Wipeout HD although it differs in a few areas such as it’s a horizontal scroller, has multiple routes through the tracks, etc...

DESCRIPTION

A retro styled, futuristic combat racing game that will have your palms sweating in minutes!

Snake your way through the galaxy’s finest race tracks, and charge to victory in some of the coolest ships known to man. Quick thinking and faster reactions are the order of the day. Race tactically; throw off homing missiles with decoy mines or risk the tight fast route to pull a chain-boosted lead then claim your victory from the tournament BOSS as you take him out with a Laser blast…

Can you take your place at the top podium on every event and become a true Delta-V Legend?

Delta-V Racing with icade core joystick

[​IMG]

-------

Okay, I still have a ton of other stuff that I did as of late, so I will break it up into a couple of posts so it doesn't get too long. Hope all of you all are doing well!

So long,
    From the
    Connector

2. #2 Connector, Jul 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
    Playstation Booth

It was kind of spread out everywhere. There was a vita section, a ps3 and ps4 section, and was kinda blue in theme color. But I thought the green xbox section looked cooler. Xbox probably won in terms of looks. Though the Playstation section seemed way bigger.

It was cool too how they had a balcony in the background, I should have gone up there and taken a picture.

[​IMG]

Warframe for PS4

Now out of all the games I saw, this one looked the coolest. It seemed like one of the premiere titles, and had a long wait to play, so I didn't get a chance to play. But I was impressed. These kind of games are terrible on an ipad.

[​IMG]

I really liked the green theme, and the nice setup of the Microsoft xbox booth. The xbox one section was way better than I thought. I liked how the xbox section had a cool theme, and had both a professional and gaming feel to it.

The xbox section also seemed to have alot of professionals manning the booths rather than scantily clothed girls like other game companies did. It was kind of nice talking to some of the representatives there, they could actually answer some of my questions about smartglass and such.

[​IMG]

Halo Spartan Assault - at first I thought this game was going to be an xbox one game, but then when I went by the booth, I noticed everyone playing the game on their Microsoft Surfaces. Then I began to think, guess now we can consider Microsoft Surfaces to be pcs. That was an interestig thought, because before, I never thought of my ipad as a computer. But I guess the Microsoft Surface is sure breaking ground as a pc.

[​IMG]

This was a hot looking car, advertising for Forza 5, an xbox game. Wow, I liked this car the best out of all the cars I saw at E3! Anyone know what kind of car it is?

[​IMG]

The xbox one joystick looks pretty cool. Like how it's not too big. I like both xbox and playstation controllers, so either style is fine for me. I am actually curious how the new Apple joystick for ipad will look like. It is nice playing games with a joystick, and while icade is fun and all, it would be nice to have a true dual stick analog joystick for my ipad.

Wish we could use xbox controllers on Apple devices.

[​IMG]

3. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Welcome back from Vacation; E3 looks like a lot of fun.

4. Hey, it's great to see you again Undeadcow! How you been doing? I hope you have been doing well.

Yeah, E3 was great fun, even outside the convention, there were a ton of booths and activities. There were a ton of cool exhibits inside the convention, and the most interesting thing to me was the sharp contrast between the Xbox one and PS4 setups. It was alot of fun.

5. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    You can download/play warframe on PC now I think, their presenting at the booth is a way of them showing they'll be supporting freemium.

6. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

Welcome Back!

We missed your insight into iOS gaming, lol. One E3 question... PS4 or Xbox One? Lol!

7. JTelcontar

JTelcontar Member

Sep 28, 2012
    That car is the new McLaren P1. ;)

One thing I didn't like about Microsoft's booth was how cramped it felt. Not a lot of space to walk around.

Nice to read your thoughts; thanks for sharing.

8. Morthizerm

Morthizerm Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2013
    Welcome back! The E3 is pretty cool, and I like the games recommendations :D

9. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Great to see you back! E3 looks AMAZING! Thanks for sharing the info.

10. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Doing great, still trying to stir up trouble around here as I'm able. Looks like I'll be getting some more help with that now that you're back. If you're going to work the developer of Shifts on anything please do what you can for them to make it Universal, haha.

I don't ever go to conventions, but if I did I'm sure I would like the wild culture surrounding them. Living in Austin, TX the buzz surrounding music festivals with craziness around town was probably as good as the festivals themselves.

11. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Welcome back! Damn. Asphalt 8 sounds fantastic. Probably my most anticipated game right now. Bring on August 8th! (The latest date floating around and it better not be any later...sooner I could live with)

12. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Back a matter of hours and you've already posted more than everyone else did while you were away. Usually I'd insult you for that. Luckily, I told myself I'd behave. Lucky for me that is, not for you. So, Asphalt 8 huh? How does it compare to previous games in terms of depth? I'm not really a racing fan when it comes to iOS, but I miss pretty cars in games. Truth be told, there's not much out there on the console scene right now... roll on Playstation 4.

13. Thanks for all the kind comments all. To keep this thread from being a chat thread, I won't respond to any individually, but it is good to see alot of my TA friends again. This thread too, I will be requesting to have closed after less than a week once I have finished giving you an update of some of the things I have been working on in ios, icade, and of course E3. Feel free to ask any questions about any of my posts.

Well, unknown to many of you, I used to be one of the most active people in the world in the xbox community, used an xbox handle then, but it was good times.

I know there was a lot of heat on the xbox one about a lot of issues, but they did a sweet job at E3 with their displays and knowledgeable staff. But it was a little cramped in there unlike the PS4 section which seemed huge cause it was just a huge area. I'm gonna refrain from saying which is better, but here is one topic that affects us all.

One topic that interested me the most was the use of smartglass technology, which is basically using a tablet like the Microsoft Surface as an input device into the Xbox One Console.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/smartglass

It was pretty cool how you could use a tablet to control the console, and even use it as a touch joystick for games. While I still believe that a tablet console with hdmi and joysticks is the way to go, this concept of having a console with a tablet used for controls really fascinated me. If it works well, this may give me a reason to buy a console once again, but I figure maybe not, cause by the time the ipad 6 comes out, hopefully the firepower will be enough to compete fairly well with the newer consoles, at least for the basics such as playing movies, playing simple games, and surfing the web on a large tv.

But smartglass really did catch my interest. I wonder if ipad too will work with the xbox one, and also what the ps4 route will be to interface with tablets. If anyone knows if there will be a ps4 smartglass thing, let us know. It heard some rumours that you will be able to use a Vita for that, but that would kinda be bad for people that own ipads. I heard they were going to do something called "Tablet Integration" but if anyone knows I too would like to hear about this, if I can use my ipad with an ps4.

But yeah, smartglass is awesome. I love the concept, and i spent nearly 15 min listening to one xbox rep talk about it. Even though he was showing me it on a Microsoft Surface, I was thinking, wow, this has alot of potential. Real potential.

It would really make me think about getting active in the xbox community like I used to be.

It was cool too how they had The new Halo on the Microsoft surface. That was really cool, wonder if they will bring that over to the ipad. But maybe they will keep it on the Surface only.

Heard a lot of bad things about xbox one on the internet before I went to E3, but the reality to me seemed alot different, and that's why I wanted to post some of my pictures and postings about xbox one and ps4 and smartglass. The xbox one section was really impressive. The reps were really knowledgeable, the sets were just awesome themewise, and the whole thing made me rethink a lot of my image from negative internet remarks.

It really looked cool. And now that Microsoft seems to be backpedalling on its drm used game rights issues and always online stuff, I really think it has a much better chance in coming back and being really competitive with the PS4.

I really look forward to when some of my friends start getting an xbox one in the near future, and might even consider getting back into console life, though my ipad and iphone are really great fun too and portable.

@Midian

I posted a lot of my comments in the A8 thread, take a look, it was awesome!

Diablo 3

Guess it is coming out for the PS3 and Xbox 360. They had these massive tvs on top where they were playing the game. Really looked pretty cool. Made me wish there was an ipad version too. Used to play Diablo a bit on my pc long ago, so remember the good times.

[​IMG]

14. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    #14 JBRUU, Jul 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
    Imagine Asphalt 7 with Havok physics, better graphics, crash damage, a few new game modes, the time-shifted MP from RR3, and (unconfirmed) weather effects such as rain and dirt affecting handling. I'd like to see some more in depth car tweaking and customization, but that remains to be seen. Overall it's looking to be the best arcade racer on the platform.

For $.99, it (will be) a compete the steal. But my advice? Just go get Most Wanted on PC if you're revved for an arcade racer.

15. k1lljoy_89

k1lljoy_89 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    The new Most Wanted blows. Kind of like your advice.

16. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    It does? I heard it was quite good, never tried it myself though.

17. k1lljoy_89

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    Wait. You just recommended a game over another game and you haven't even played it?

Classy move.

The new most wanted is one of the worst Need for Speeds to date. The only reason it got any semi positive reviews is because of how bad the recent NFS's before it have been. This is coming from quite possibly the biggest need for speed fan you'll ever meet.

The original however, is one of the best and is highly, highly recommended to anyone who hasn't played it, which in sure Midian has.

18. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Most Wanted (original) and Carbon (MW 2) are the best by far.
    I also enjoyed Underground 2 quite a lot, but they are very different. Still a great game in the series though. Since Undercover every game just sucked.

19. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    #19 S.I.D. CrAzY, Jul 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
    It is good(yes I've played it), but opinions and all that.

It received good reviews as well, but apparently only because of how horrible the other games were. :rolleyes:

20. k1lljoy_89

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    I much preferred U2 over Carbon. U2 is pretty much my favorite game ever, but yeah, MW has my vote as the best NFS.