What am I missing about Rolando?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Chumbake, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Chumbake

Chumbake Well-Known Member

I have nothing against Rolando, however I can't seem to figure out what all the hype is about or where it is coming from. I've seen the online videos and read a little about it, but it just looks like JellyCar and DizzyBee physics mixed with a little bit of Trace.

I'm all for getting a great new game and if Rolando is that new great game, then awesome! But can someone help me understand why so many people just can't wait to get it?

2. Paulio

Paulio Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Local IGA (supermarket)
    Tasmania, Australia
    Yeah, I just don't have this massive hype for it that everyone seems to have. To be fair I never played loco roco on the PSP tho..

3. Chase

Chase Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    I think part of it is NGMOCO themselves building hype. They started out with vague videos on their site of the game, which built up to the more recent ones with more details. Also, the press has helped hype this game up to unnatural levels. They're good at that. :rolleyes:

Also, the fact that it's compared a lot to the hugely popular Loco Roco game on the PSP could have something to do with it

I'm not really sure where you're getting the comparisons of JellyCar and DizzyBee from the videos, though. Those are pretty different games.

4. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I was thinking that comparison myself, to Dizzy Bee, good call.

5. VirtualAlex

VirtualAlex Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Well in my opinion, NGmoco are responsible for the best games on iphone currently.

So far, they have best grasped how to use the iphones unique attributes to make original games. Rolando is looking to be their greatest work yet (at least that is how NGmoco is presenting it) and since I love all of their games (well maybe I don't LOVE mazefinger, but it's free) so I have high hopes.

6. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    I was wondering the exact same thing.

7. renton

renton Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2008
    freelance design
    california
    #7 renton, Dec 12, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
    it's a big mistake to try to compare or contrast this game against others until the game is out..

visually, from the vids, it does have a lot in common wtih loco roco. and that's a good thing! but say its a bit like jelly car or trace makes zero sense. not until you play it.
    sure, you may draw a line to make a bridge, but a million other games use that element. frankly enigmo is the father of all the others, imho.

judging by their current success of their past games, ncgmo is looking to have a great future and market dominance with the iphone/touch.

as for people wanting the game so bad is that there is no 'super mario' or 'sonic the hedgehog' game that has defined the platform yet. not only defined the platform, but defined a new sense in gaming on this platform. back in the early 90's you basically got a super nintendo just for 'super mario', or a genisis for sonic... locoroco is looking to do that for the iphone/touch...

8. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    good game + indie devs = MASS HYSTERIA

9. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Yet another Rolando-related thread. Soon enough, I will turn it into a spam-fest. You just wait, you just ALL wait...Bwahahahahahahahaha...

10. Got something in your throat there buddy?

11. Everydaynormalguy

Oct 5, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Damn Canadian cookies I ate. They're trying to take me down from the inside...

12. steviet

steviet Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2008
    tv editor
    London
    i'm really looking forward to it coming out but trying not to get caught up in the mass hysteria of "oh my god, i want it now!"

i'm looking forward to it coming out as i loved loco-roco for the psp and it looks really similar

13. mr_marts

mr_marts Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    There is much hype for rolando as when the iphone first came out to store shelves

i got to say rolando is not the only game drawing gamer hype what about sim city many websites are saying this is the must game for 2008 one can only wait for both games to be released!

14. Peter321

Peter321 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Male
    Sim City is out isn't it?

15. Paulio

Paulio Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Local IGA (supermarket)
    Tasmania, Australia
    No. Not yet.

16. Everydaynormalguy

Oct 5, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Simple answer: people are sheep. They'd buy anything as long as there's a "buzz" for it or some idiotic spoiled movie star has it. Stupid is as stupid does...