developer internship - stockholm

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by mobile1up, Dec 27, 2009.

1. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    i thought i would bite the bullet here; especially since i've seen so many younger people trying to be aspiring about getting into game development here on the forums - and it would be nice to give back to the community all the years of experience that i have within the realm of mobile gaming.

if your located in Stockholm (or relatively close) and interested in doing an internship / xjobb / final year project - contact me. i prefer local candidates; as i think the key to learning is communication - but if you can convince me otherwise that distance isn't a barrier let me know.

i have allocated a budget for such an opportunity - so, you would get paid and see first hand how games are designed, developed and implemented. we are not focusing our efforts on iPhone - so you'll be learning game development concepts more than platform specifics.

2. Vingdoloras

Vingdoloras Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2009
    I'm living in Berlin :(

Are there any minimum requirements for those who want to work with you?

3. mobile1up

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    ideally; stockholm based (so can have meetings in person; design sessions)

i'm open to suggestions; ideally, a programmer would be more useful - minimum requirements would be C programming skills; but as internships typically happen it would be more along the lines of learning the basics of game design and development.. working from examples, building new games - learning from 20+ years game programming experience.

this is a huge opportunity for anyone interested in gaming and is looking to gain some experience. ideally; i'm looking for someone who once they finish their studies and/or internship to continue working with mobile gaming.

4. Vingdoloras

Aug 29, 2009
    Berlin is ideally? Did I miss something :D? Berlin = Capital of Germany = far away from Stockholm (is there another stockholm I don't know? :D)

About the C programming skills...
    That's why most kids here (kids = young people, not meant offensive!) are looking for a coder... they have no programming skills...

I will soon start learning Objective-C (waiting for a book :D)

5. Vingdoloras

Aug 29, 2009
    The language I have been using most of the time is Python... it is so easy and a kind of luxury... I feel a bit spoiled, learning Objective-C will be easier than for those who have never coded anything before, but it might be hard to unlearn this lazyness introduced with Python :D

6. mobile1up

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    berlin isn't ideal :) i would prefer someone in stockholm, sweden :)

thats why it is also critical to be local; i used to teach C programming at university level so i would expect to also train/educate the intern with general programming skills as well. it would be a huge investment from my side - but i'm interesting in doing so.

location is key - as i mention in the original post - otherwise it wont work.

7. Vingdoloras

Aug 29, 2009
    Don't you trust the power of the internet? :D

I mean, if the company my father is working for talks to a japanese co-company regularly via chat/video conferations, why shouldn't you do this with others? (Well ok many people dont have a camera or something for video conferation, but why is chat so bad? [I dont have a camera either :( ])

8. mobile1up

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    the Internet is very powerful - and i work with people all over the world; once they are experienced. for some projects; i've worked with teams spread all over the world; including Sweden, Netherlands, USA and Australia. so; thats not the issue.

sure; once you know the people.

i want someone in-house - someone i can meet in person. its more than just a development partnership; this is someone who will get hands on experience and be able to watch and learn; not simply do stuff. it is nothing specific to anyone on a personal basis - so don't take it as such. internships typically require face to face contact.

9. Vingdoloras

Aug 29, 2009
    I see what you mean :D

10. Gregerh

Gregerh Active Member

Sounds like a brilliant opportunity :) Also always nice to see that there are more developers in Stockholm!

11. mobile1up

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    be sure that you are signed up to:

http://www.iphonedev.se/

there are a bunch of developers in stockholm - not all are focused on games; some are small scale; hobbyists and some have some active companies. i met some of these guys at the iPhone Developer Kitchen event in stockholm a few weeks ago.

12. dunadou

dunadou New Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Hello,
    I am a computer engineer student from Morocco, I am going to be in Stockholm for 3 months this summer (starting from July) and I would like to join your team, believing in my high programming abilities and also my previous international experiences.
    any chance for me to join ??

13. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    Oooh! Pick me! Pick me!

Stockholm? Awww..:(

14. Gregerh

Gregerh Active Member

Ah, thanks man!

15. mobile1up