Learning how to draw

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Vingdoloras, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Vingdoloras

Vingdoloras Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2009
    This morning I decided to start drawing... Why? Normally I'm coding things, but now I want to be able to make a few graphical things, too! Being able to do the coding AND the drawing makes me a bit more indipensant, but also more flexible when working with others :D

My aim is to teach myself how to make good drawings. I'll work with SketchBook Pro (easy to pick up, it's easier to use when you are sitting in a bus ;-P) and I will post some of my pictures here (so you [hopefully :D] see that everyone can learn how to draw not-too-bad pictures by drawing frequently...).

If anyone wants to join this project, feel free to post your pictures here. But PLEASE only if you are a beginner and want to show us your progress! This is no self-advertising thread! If you want the attention of possible customers, make your own thread in the Service Trade Forum! This will be more effective.

So, again, I would love to see other beginners post something about their progress here. You don't have to use SketchBook Pro for your drawings. It can be any iPhone app, or a programm on your PC/Mac, or maybe good old reallife paper ;-)

2. That's great that you want to expand your abilities like that. I've considered doing the same thing. My current "programmer art" wouldn't win me any awards, but then again, look at Doodle Jump. ;)

I've already greatly improved my Photoshop skills during the course of working on Charmed and Flight Deck. Maybe I'll find some time to do some drawings too to improve that area. :)

3. Vingdoloras

Aug 29, 2009
    #3 Vingdoloras, Jan 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
    The first complete pic I have ever drawn with SketchBook:
    [​IMG]
    (Some days before Christmas, during a night when I couldn't sleep... I talked to a friend of mine who is an incredibly good artist and I said "Let me show you what I can('t) do :p"... Took me some hours to draw this :D)

Right now I'm working on this: (tilt your head to the side :p)
    [​IMG]
    What is this thing in the middle? These are some bones from a dead animal... as seen in cartoons etc :p
    It's black&white? Yes, right now it's black&white... but I'm already coloring it in my SketchBook :D I think I'll add some more detail to the front later, it looks so empty...

Nobody else who wants to try this? It's easy once you start. You won't draw a billion dollar painting right away, but who knows xD what future might bring

EDIT:
    BIG!!! :D is there a way to show them a BIT smaller? Or is it ok how it is now?

4. eJayStudios

eJayStudios Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    #4 eJayStudios, Jan 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
    lol, you already drawing way better than I ever will! :)

I'm long time coder myself, always struggled with arts.

Bought that app you've mentioned, will try to make some art myself! :)

You lucky as you have a friend who is an artist, you can learn so much from him!

None of my friends are artists, arghhhh.. Need to find new friends :)

5. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    currently im trying to pick up blender, and omg...tough...im reading the blender for dummies and like its soooo slow! ill post pics when i make one

6. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    The GUI scared the crap outta me. Sure, it's streamlined or whatever, but still... so many buttons.

I usually draw a picture with pencil, darken the lines with a sharpy, make the lines solid in pixelmator, and just color in with that. I think I have something... yeah, I do. Didn't finish it, but when I forgot about it, I was working on the color scheme, hence the rainbow of gradients.

Edit: Wrong... erm, draft?

Attached Files:

• Eye.jpg
      Eye.jpg
      File size:
      106.9 KB
      Views:
  7. The prez 12521

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA

8. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Here we go.

Just follow the link. It's too big to show on the forum.

9. The prez 12521

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
  10. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    #10 MidianGTX, Jan 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
    I think one of the most important things you can do with drawing, before actually getting "good" at it, is to find your style and stick with it. Even if it's not super clean, high-quality stuff it'll have consistency and when all your pieces of art are put together they'll make sense rather than being a random mash of different styles. Look at something like Beavis & Butt-head, that was very much Mike Judge at his earlier stages of learning to draw cartoons (and animation), but his style was so well thought-out and consistent that it looked good nonetheless.

Koh Jing Yu has done the same thing with his art, it's not perfect, but one look at either of the apps he did the graphics for himself and you can tell it's his work from the style:

http://appshopper.com/games/cheese-collect
    http://appshopper.com/games/bacteria-bash

11. eJayStudios

eJayStudios Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Would be nice if people with artistic skills give us some hints and tips on this thread. :)

12. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Wow, amazing drawings so far Vingdoloras! I've always struggled with drawing; I've tried to teach myself with no success. Maybe I should try harder :rolleyes:.

13. ktfright

ktfright Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    Here is an example of something simple but still great art...
    shawn-a-city-with-no-seasons1.jpg

The artist found someone who did great art, and it looks so simple but elegant also.

14. Vingdoloras

Aug 29, 2009
    Yes, I also thought I could draw totally nothing... But if you keep coming back to it and spend a few hours on a picture it will look pretty good some time ;-)

About the art style... I'm trying to draw in a way so I can delete the black outlines again... In the first picture I didn't try this :p

15. Vingdoloras

Aug 29, 2009
    Cool pic ktfright

16. InvincibleBears

InvincibleBears Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    School ~ Senior
    Ohio
    Nice

Nice work!
    im absolutely horrible with sketchbook pro... :p
    wish i was good! lol im better with pencil but im still nothing amazing!

17. The prez 12521

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    The best advice is draw what and how you draw. I draw toon like and goofy, but I always change my approach. Find something you love to draw and perfect it likehow u want to. I (some odd reason) can and love drawing beast unicorns. It's weird

18. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Cool thread. I'm a coder too and lately I've been drawing cartoony art in photoshop elements. Its a lot of fun and a nice change of pace from coding :)