Khalid Shaikh

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Spotlight, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Spotlight

Spotlight Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    I guess you've been talking about this dev already, but with the search function I couldn't find anything.

Phil Schiller last Monday at the WWDC was talking about 50.000 iPhone apps.
    He forgot to mention that 1/50 of them are Khalid Shaik's.

I'm quite tolerant, but this guy is abusing of the App Store.
    He just put in there 800+ applications and I bet he makes more than 100$ per day with his crap software.

This is not fair.

2. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    He won't get his 81 virgins when he dies, he will go straight to hell,

translation:

He won't get his 81 new iPhones when he dies, he will go straight to technology hell (microsoft).

3. supg328911

supg328911 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    pro ping pong player!!!!
    USA BABY
    haha...ya i just saw one of his games he is charging 5 dollars for a crapy tennis game...

4. HalfMoon

HalfMoon Member

Jun 7, 2009
    Aargh! Don't get me started on this guy....

5. makeout

makeout Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2009
    youd think having 800+ apps plus ~5 release per day would raise a flag at Apple...

6. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

They should limit the number of apps you can publish with your $99 fee to, say, 12 per year or something. I figure that nobody can reasonably do more than 1 app per month and have them be any good. If you want to do more, pay another $99. That would stop the abuse, but not affect legit developers. (That would be 12 unique apps; updates wouldn't count.)

--Eric

7. MikaMobile

MikaMobile Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Wow, I hadn't heard of this guy....

They need to institute a submission fee. Something low and reasonable (say fifty bucks), just to keep people from using this shotgun-style approach. It's obvious that most of his apps have never been bought by more than 1 or 2 people - the vast majority have zero reviews. Perhaps most infuriating is that he's using hundreds of copyrighted names! iCounterStrike? An app masquerading as iDracula, just without the subtitle?! I would hazard a guess that he doesn't own the rights to most of the sounds and pictures he's using either. The nerve of this guy is apalling. He needs to get himself sued out of existence so he's not wasting Apple's time.

This is the same reason why spam is so prevalent in e-mail - its free to bombard as many people as you possibly can. If it cost the price of a stamp to send an e-mail, it would be impossible to support a business model driven by spam.

8. CDubby94

CDubby94 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Betty White
    #8 CDubby94, Jun 10, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
    This sounds good in theory, but I don't neccessarily agree with this because big name developers that are actual full-time companies can really pump out some high quality games. For example, the app store has been open for about 23 months and Gameloft has about 35 games, not including lite versions. This means they would have to pay the extra money since they have created more then your limit. I'd say Gameloft puts out pretty polished games, and not just shovelware, so they probably wouldn't be very happy dishing out the cash, even though one hundred dollars wouldn't be too much for a company that size.

I'm not as educated on the income of developers as you but what if there are developers who actually try on their apps, but don't even make the fifty bucks because it falls into the vast jungle of the lost and forgotten majority of the app store? I don't know how much the average developer makes off their app, but I don't think anybody should have to worry about losing money from submitting an app.

9. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    With a bit of luck, he will have his hands cut off for stealing (copyright infringement is probably considered as stealing in Pakistan or wherever he comes from).

10. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    he lives in silicon valley...

Lots of indians live in San Jose ( silicon valley ) and have mustaches and go to frys electronics on the weekend wearing shorts.

You will only find the above funny if you're from SJ like me :)

11. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    hahaha, I bet he works in a call centre trying to sell components or dodgey electronics.

12. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

I thought of this, but really, Gameloft wouldn't even notice an extra $99/year. That's not even pocket change to them, so I stand by my idea. Apple, please implement it. :) I do agree that $50 per submission is a bit much (and would cause a lot of negative press), but something really nominal like a $5 submission fee would still stop rampant abuse and not cause any hardship for legit devs. I'd pay it.

--Eric

13. MikaMobile

MikaMobile Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Well, I'm for any measure which keeps people from submitting any ol' piece of garbage like this guy. I think a tiny submission fee could help, but it needs to be high enough that selling very very few copies is a net loss, otherwise he (and others like him) will just keep doing it. But you don't want to alienate the more honorable indy developers who have made the app store what it is.

I don't know if people realize how good we have it as iPhone devs really. $100 a year is ridiculously cheap. If you submit a game for approval on most game consoles (wii, 360, etc.) it costs thousands and thousands of dollars just to submit for approval, and if your game gets rejected for some reason (crash bug, etc.), they charge you again for a resubmit. The overhead incurred when dealing with most hardware manufacturers is kind of insane.

14. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    I am a nice guy and don't normally say stuff like this, but I hope he gets herpes and then have a billion needles pierce his dry, cold skin and then have a an electric sander shoved against his face while having his testicles slowly crushed in a vice and having his eyes picked out by crows and then stamped on by an elephant while a tramp pulls his hair out with some pliers and then finishes him off with a spoon.
    Now that is justice.

As you can probably guess, I am waiting for the Dexter game to come to the iPhone :D

15. dashzed

dashzed Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2009
    wow, you really don't like this guy do you LBG... (neither do i ;D)

16. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Wow 1/50 apps are his? And they're all news updates -.-

17. iFonePhanatic

iFonePhanatic Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Student
    USA
    You do know that doesn't help us believe you are nice, right? :p Haha, but yeah I hate this guy too, as I think everyone does.

18. iFonePhanatic

iFonePhanatic Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Student
    USA
    The more I searched this guy, the more pissed off I got. First he writes reviews on his own games on his "website" and then acts like another website said it about his game on iTunes. I'm really tempted to call Apple and complain about this guy. Or call him; on his website, he says "click here and we'll call you", but I don't think that's such a good idea.

19. xVietx

xVietx Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    He lives in Silicon Valley but his team and wife are in Pakistan.

20. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    This is an email I got in response when I clicked the "contact us" tab.
    Apparently they are in India. Surprise, surprise. I think I'll pass...not too crazy about the work schedule! :rolleyes:

Dear Candidate,

Thank you for applying to Perfect Acumen Inc.

We develop iPhone applications exclusively using Objective-C and the
    Mac. We have a strict work schedule of 12 hours a day 6 days a week.

Please read the first two chapters of ObjC.pdf before you can process
    to the next stage of this interview process.

You should review a PDF we will send before interviewing on-site.
    http://www.perfectacumen.com/welcome/india

Please review "ObjC.pdf" & "iPhone in Action.pdf"

Our offices are in New Delhi, India.

Please confirm once you have read the 2 chapters that you are ready
    for the interview.

Best,
    Sanchay