Best Games which lets you play your music/podcast while playing

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by auroragb, Oct 21, 2009.

1. auroragb

auroragb New Member

Oct 21, 2009
    I like to listen to podcasts while playing games. However, very few top tier games offer this feature.

Few games I play that have this are:
    Civ Rev
    MotionX Poker (not initially, they added this in an update)
    geoDefense
    geoDefense Swarm
    fieldrunner

(I don't particularly like tower defense games but that seems to be the only category which has this feature)

Games which don't (effectively wasted money)
    Myst
    Katmari
    Monkey Island

Can folks recommend top games (particularly in the adventure category) which allow me to play my own music/podcasts? And not in a hacky way like where you press the play button on the headphone when you're in game.

Thanks!

2. PlayScreen

PlayScreen Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2009
    Match 3D allows you to do this.

3. mattll

mattll Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2009
    bavaria
    rolando 1 (+2 i think)
    games with 3.0 feature
    -touchgrind
    -minigore
    -real racing
    -blades of fury
    -

4. auroragb

auroragb New Member

Oct 21, 2009
    @mattil - Interesting list, I'll definitely check them out, thanks! Though I wish there were more recognizable names (ports of popular games)

what does that mean? does every game with 3.0 feature have this ability? Is this something we can look for on iTunes?

Seems that most good puzzle games have this feature, I forgot to mention games like Sudoku and Peggle. So, more outside the puzzle genre would be great

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    If you like platformers at all, try Soosiz -- not a console/pc port, but polished and rich game. Many people (including me) have found that the in-game music is fairly poor, but it fully supports playing iPod tracks, which makes a big difference.

BTW, I don't think every game that supports 3.0 allows you to pick tracks within the game, but Apple has built the capability into the API.

6. bomber

bomber Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Many games make it possible to turn off music and let you continue playing your ipod music. In 3.0 there is a new functionality where apps can open the track menu so that you can switch the iPod music inside the app. There are not a lot of games that support that yet, although it's quite easy to add. We consider to add that to our games as well, currently we only offer the first way (when you turn off the music in the game options then it will not stop the ipod music anymore).

7. galaxygrrl

galaxygrrl Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    If you jail break your iphone and run the backrounder program, you can play your music with just about any game I think. I can't say for sure, but it has worked with every game I tried it on.

8. sticktron

sticktron Well-Known Member

GangStar, minigore.

9. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

SOOSIZ!
    and car jack streets

10. lukeca

lukeca Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Well I know Thirty One isn't in the top 50 games overall, but it is in the top 50 card games. I added the ability to play your iPod music in a recent update and created a nice interface for it as well. So if you like card games give it a try, the link is in my signature.

Here is a screenshot of the music interface:
    [​IMG]

11. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    It is a nice interface

12. spacecowgoesmoo

spacecowgoesmoo Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Composer / Level Designer @ Bovinedragon Software
    Los Angeles, USA
    Both of our games let you play your iPod music in the background :)