Universal SOULCALIBUR - ( by NamcoBandai Games Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jan 18, 2012.

1. farley

farley Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    4 virtual buttons and a virtual joystick? On a touchscreen? Rather than gestures? :confused:
    Fail. No purchase. :(

2. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

iPad 2 and while the Video run at +/- 29 FPS the Game does run with 60 FPS.

There is not a single Lag on the iPad 2 and it seem to run with 60+ FPS even when I`m smashing the Hit Button or try one of those crazy Combos.

The Game is a Perfect Port so far and Namco did a great Job.

3. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Go get Infinity Blade or something.

Street Fighter, King of Fighter, Blades of Fury and Bruce Lee prove virtual buttons can work well without dumbing down the games to swipe-fiesta.

4. farley

farley Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    This.

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Agree with that, i didnt expect this game to have gestures at all. Virtual buttons can work really well

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Lol... seeing as i wont pay $20 for this, I'll be happy saying... face buttons suck! this game sucks!

Just until i can actually get the game into my ipod. :D

7. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Ferraris and BMWs suck! Just until I get one of course :p

8. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    What makes you think that a game from the same publishers and partly the same dev team would be any different in terms of control schemes and whatever else you might be dissatisfied with in SC? :D

9. SILen(e

SILen(e Member

May 10, 2009
    The Xbox Live Arcade version of the game may be cheaper, but if i remember correctly, that was only a 1:1 port of the game running in some emulator, lacking widescreen support.
    That was a lousy treatment for this classic masterpiece.

This release is a true port and i'd expect they put a lot more work into this than the XBLA release, so i won't feel bad for paying more for this release than for the XBLA one.

10. epedemix

epedemix Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Soul Calibur has always been one of the very short list of h2h fighting games I enjoyed. I could never really get over the monotony of most fighters, but for some reason I really liked this one. I havent scoped out the price of this yet, but I may go for it. Depending on how much it actually is, so we shall see.

11. Dahak

Dahak Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Library circulation rep
    Beaufort, SC
    Won't work on my device anyway, but no way I'd pay that for a non-emulation. See GTA3 for appropriate pricing points for decade old ports.

12. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    So wait, that's the actual button size and layout on an iPad 2? How on earth could anyone possibly play that with their thumbs? Or did you play it with the iPad flat on a table or such?

13. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    @Sanuku: Have you got an iPhone 4? How does it run there?

14. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    if i understand correctly the difficulty of the single player mode is quite low, seeing how Sanuku plays?

15. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    If it's anything like SC3 (which I played for a ridiculous amount of hours on my old PS2), the first few fights are always pretty easy, with difficulty ramping up from there.

A quality port that has been properly redone for the iPhone is easily worth $12 to me. That Rockstar decided to price GTA3 at 6.99 is immaterial. The fact is that there are simply no other games on iOS that compare to SC (with the exception of Blades of Fury, which is a decent approximation, but nothing more). Namco/Bandai has a long history with the iOS platform, so I would assume that they know what they are doing.

16. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    As much as i love soul calibur i'm going to pass until its much cheaper. I can wait.

17. Nudgenudge

Nudgenudge Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    The price is fine by me (10 euros), but only if iCade support is in there somewhere.
    Now that would make my day.

18. chespace

chespace Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    I'm tempted but will probably pass. Looks and runs great and SC is my favorite fighting game series, but the virtual buttons look awful. Like VF series, SC is a game with a lot of simultaneous button presses. Which means using more than just your thumb on those virtual buttons if you want to pull off many of the moves.

Will pass.

19. Rangerlump

Rangerlump Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2010
    I will probably get it. Got gift cards from christmas with nothing worth while that has caught my eye in the last month to spend them on (nothing at all).

Like others have said, SC holds a special place in my heart from my Dreamcast days.

When is Tekken coming out????? Thats the only other one I feel the sameway about.

20. Nekcik

Nekcik Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Aiken, South Carolina
    You want a quality game ported over in true form that will bring back the fluid gameplay you enjoyed on your dreamcast your going to pay for the hard work they put into it. Stop being a cheap little B/tch.
    Yeah I know it's a game on a phone but if you really want to play it on your tv then please do and stop complaining.
    Here is a thought, ever think some people just don't care to own a console of some type and rely on their phone to play good games?
    Why should the app store be flooded with freemium and $.99 games because too many people won't fork the price to pay for a great game?

You want a cheap game? Go to the 'I am cheap' section of the app store, stop crying of the price of this game and come back in about 6 months maybe you'll get lucky and they will have a price drop(hopefully it stays this price)

Now FFS let's stop flooding this thread with little kids whining about the price and get some more impressions on this game.