iPod touch 1st gen incompatible game..

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by TheloniousMac, Dec 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheloniousMac

TheloniousMac Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Graphic Designer
    Brisbane
    I just bought & downloaded a new game called Xenotracker.
    http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=298666140&mt=8
    It looks like a mini game based on the motion tracker from the movie Aliens. Pretty fricken sweet right?
    Anyway..

After seeing iTunes bring up a message saying this game cannot be played on this iPod I checked the iTunes page and it seems this is only compatible with the second generation iPod touch..

Firstly.. is this the first developer to exclude the 1st gen iPod?
    Has anyone ever seen another game that does this.. I've seen 2.2 only games but never seen this..

Is there any reason why it would not work?

I've emailed the developer and hopefully hear something.
    What do you guys think?

2. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

#2 brewstermax, Dec 2, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
    The first ipod touch is slower than any of the other Apple produced handhelds that support these games.
    There Kumulus, happy??

3. Kumulus

Kumulus Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    #3 Kumulus, Dec 2, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
    next time if you feel the urge to post something......please don't. or try to waste your energy for something that makes actually sense.

btw.....only god knows why the developer of such a measly minigame thinks that it is a good idea to exclude the majority of customers.
    bigger companies would think twice about losing profit, so no reason to be concerned.
    look at brothers in arms......perfectly playable on a 1st gen ipod.

edit: still not happy, since i'am not able to make the connection between a minigame and the slower speed of an 1st gen ipod compared to a 2nd gen.

4. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    Any opinions on the quality of this game?

5. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

The only game where i notice it is on graphic intensive games, such as Venger, SciFly, and such. Otherwise there is little difference. But this may be a game in which it makes a difference. TouchSports Tennis had to change several aspects to make the iPod Touch 1G keep up with the others.

6. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

brewstermax, would you kindly not spread misinformation?

iPhone, iPhone 3G and iPod touch are identical in performance. Yes, iPod touch 2G has improved clock speeds, the significance of which has been totally overblown.

The reason for the incompatibility with first iPod touch is just a silly mistake that many developers make when they submit their game to the App Store and choose the target devices from a drop-down menu. It'll probably be fixed in no time.

7. mek

mek Well-Known Member

Agreed, it is just a metadate error that is easily corrected
    just contact the developer and they will fix it

8. TheloniousMac

TheloniousMac Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Graphic Designer
    Brisbane
    I thought it was something as simple as that.. but it seems odd that it happens so easily..
    Like it did with Guitar Rock Tour.. which was only compatible with iPhones for a while.
    But I guess Apple built that functionality into the App Store so it will be interesting to see when the next generation of hardware comes into play.

I remember being pissed about iPod classic games not being compatible with last gens. Apple just wants us all to have the latest, who can blame them.

9. evanmav

evanmav Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2008
    the only time i;v had a problem with putting a game on my first gen was with live poker it said it wasnt compatible with the first gen but then a week later it was available for the first gen. trust me every app will be available for the first gen eventually or else the developer will be loosing a lot of money. so dont worry email the deveoloper and im sure he will fix it soon

BTW when he does fix the app ur gonna have to delete the old app and re download it but dont worry it should be a free download if u try to redownload and u'v already paid

10. tangerine

tangerine Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I've seen several that excluded the first generation Touch. Each time I contacted the developer and the issue was quickly resolved. I am still waiting for Slide It! to be fixed but the developer is currently working on the problem. Basically, it does seem to be an oversight more than anything else like a hardware issue.

11. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    It really sucks that some apps are only for iPod Touch 2G.

Fortunately, I have a 2G.

But, I do feel bad that some games won't work for 1G, sorry guys :(

12. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Same here,