GTA-inspired 2D shooter

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by johnyzee, Dec 28, 2011.

1. johnyzee

johnyzee Member

Dec 28, 2011
    I am making this for iOS and Android but it is playable in the browser too:

http://www.webworks.dk/enginetest

The mechanics may feel a little limiting on the PC but just keep in mind that current target is touch screen interfaces.

It's still a work in progress, sounds will be replaced, some interface elements will be redone, and it is a fairly short demo, but you should get the general idea.

Would love to know what people think.

(Since the targeting system is something people really seem to dislike, I am happy to hear suggestions, just bear in mind that the mechanics have to work on touch screens, and still be challenging to play.)

(Hope asking for feedback on my own game here is OK (checked the rules), otherwise - sorry!!!)

Screens:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    This thread is perfectly okay -- but thanks for checking the rules before posting! I won't have a chance to check this out until later. Hopefully you will get good feedback from other members...

3. MoJoe

MoJoe Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Germany
    stopped after the tutorial at 99%
    looks interesting but i doesnt like the shooting so far

4. johnyzee

johnyzee Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Hi MoJoe, thanks for the comments. Are you sure it completely stuck at 99%, or does it complete if you wait a while?

A lot of people dislike the shooting mechanism, so that will definitely be changed (working on it right now actually).

5. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    I moved this thread into the "Upcoming iPhone Games" forum for you.

6. Nicoipad

Nicoipad Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Looking forward to this. Are there vehicles such as planes and stuff? Story mode? Thanks in advance for answering these questions. Will buy when released.

7. seanunited97

seanunited97 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2011
    School
    Internet
  8. Nicoipad

Aug 28, 2010
    Is there any update on this game?

9. DerKoun

DerKoun Member

Dec 22, 2011
    I really hope this isn't abandoned. I liked the old 2D GTA a lot. A new game in this style with good touch controls would be great.

10. Nicoipad

Aug 28, 2010
    Yeah. An update on the status of the game would be nice.

11. johnyzee

johnyzee Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Hi guys, thanks for the interest. I haven't put much effort into communicating so far since there's a lot of work still to do on the game, but maybe I should.

To answer the questions, the first release (which I expect will be in March or April) will be a fairly simple game, you run through the map and kill off enemies. I want to get the basic mechanics working and get my feet wet with releasing through the app store / market. The longer term plan is to add some action RPG stuff as well as business simulation centered on street level drug dealing. You recruit workers who can be soldiers or stationed as dealers, run off the competition, that sort of thing. It's planned to be on facebook as well as mobile, so you can check in wherever you are to make your collection runs and check up on your status etc.

Right now we are adding sound and UI. Sounds will feature some nice beats for music, crowd reactions to gunfights and better sound effects. UI is coming along too, here's a picture:

[​IMG]

12. PRE

PRE Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2011
    I really like the sounds of this so far, I'm moving this game up to the top of my anticipated list.

13. Nicoipad

Aug 28, 2010
    Thanks for the update! Sorry to ask another question but are there going to be vehicles in the game and where is the game set?

14. johnyzee

johnyzee Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Hi Nico, sorry, forgot to mention that. There are no vehicles for this first release. I have some ideas to incorporate them later (like executing drive-by attacks) but we will be wrapping up the first release before getting into that.

15. Nicoipad

Aug 28, 2010
    Ok. :( I'll still be interested though

16. Nicoipad

Aug 28, 2010
    #16 Nicoipad, Feb 19, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
    Any news on this?

What city is it set in?

17. johnyzee

johnyzee Member

Dec 28, 2011
    This week we will release an updated online demo featuring a larger map area + improved UI and gameplay. Next we will polish up the mobile apps, and soon after release the demo as a downloadable app on the app store (should be within the coming 10-14 days). While that simmers we will be wrapping up the remaining game and level design work for the full release of the first version of the game, that could take a little longer but I still expect the release in March or April.

We are laying a little low on communication to not build expectations until we have a compelling game experience, but I will be sure to give word when we reach our milestones, until then you are of course welcome to ask. (If you have a Google+ account you can add me there, I plan to post updates there as I have them: https://plus.google.com/111434529502686994839)

We will be looking for beta testers at some point too, will check here for interest.

Nico: The setting is a mix of L.A. style villa residential areas and New York/Washington inspired housing projects with apartment blocks (it doesn't have a name so far).

18. Nicoipad

Aug 28, 2010
    #18 Nicoipad, Feb 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
    This project sounds amazing! I'd like to beta test it if possible. Good luck! I also like the plan for the city. I beleive that the app has the potential to be very successful. I like how the city seems to mix the gta San Andreas gang setting with a darker and grittier setting like new york. One suggestion: make it so if you tap the map a full size map comes up displaying the whole city

19. Nicoipad

Aug 28, 2010
    No news I take it?

20. johnyzee

johnyzee Member

Dec 28, 2011
    We just put out a demo on the Android market and currently collecting experience from that. The iOS demo app should not be too far behind, just some optimizations and our Apple Developer license approvement are pending. Right now we are finalizing sound and kicking off asset development for some UI improvements and upcoming game features.

I expect the iOS demo app to be out within a couple of weeks, I will post it here when we get there!