iPad My Homeless Lover (game)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by asmccormick, Apr 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asmccormick

asmccormick New Member

Apr 29, 2014
    Game Designer
    Istanbul
    #1 asmccormick, Apr 29, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
    My Homeless Lover.
    A game about hard life on the streets. Coming this Winter to iPhone and Android devices.

[​IMG]

Gameplay Features:

Dig through Garbage
    Fight Cops
    Wash the Stink Off
    Attract a Homeless Woman
    And bring a HOMELESS BABY into the World

[​IMG]

Gameplay:

2. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    This looks pretty offensive.

3. HarryWarden

HarryWarden Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Should do well with the Human Centipede crowd.

4. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    I'm sold.

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Can't believe Apple will allow or this or someone can even be bothered to make this. Bizarre

6. neilw711

neilw711 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2012
    App Developer
    Virginia, USA
    There's really nothing wrong with that. Look at GTA games in the App Store - drugs, drug dealing, killing, prostitutes, nudity, etc. You think this is any worse that?

7. HarryWarden

Aug 22, 2012
    Yeah, this is nothing compared to the GTA series.

8. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    What in the....

9. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    Errr, there's a crowd? *shudder*

10. HarryWarden

Aug 22, 2012
    There have been two movies made and a third is coming so someone out there is watching them.

11. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yeah good point. Just think this looks very very bizarre though

12. asmccormick

asmccormick New Member

Apr 29, 2014
    Game Designer
    Istanbul
    I tried to start a Kickstarter campaign to fund the development. However, Kickstarter rejected me, admitting that my project met all the requirements, but that "the content of this game is outside of our scope". I think they're simply trying to craft their public image.

How is this game offensive? (Personally, I don't see it.) Is it only offensive to homeless people? And, if so, how on earth would a homeless person ever play it?

13. MrMojoRisin

Jul 27, 2012
    Because it makes light of a very huge and serious problem in this country (USA).

14. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Yeah, it does seem different, but sometimes I go for stuff like that. So I guess I'll be giving this a look.

15. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    You are a funny man. The thing about humor is that it has to be found in harsh situations. I like that we can laugh about certain things that are sad, without saying that it's acceptable.

This game is like situational comedy.

16. asmccormick

asmccormick New Member

Apr 29, 2014
    Game Designer
    Istanbul
    Fair point.

Certainly, one of the goals is to shock people. This game attempts to glorify homelessness, and I hope the sheer absurdity of this premise will get people to start asking questions.

I think that most people treat the homeless with apathy or disdain; as if they chose that lifestyle because they were lazy, stupid, or just "bad". The homeless live all around us, yet they are largely absent from TV, film, music, and games. Worse, when they do appear in fictional media, they fall into a handful of stereotypes: crazy veteran, hopeless addict, or mystic oracle. By contrast, my game largely humanizes the homeless.

I'm not a crusader, and I'm not making this game in order to fix the homeless problem. (Homelessness was simply a good skin for the control mechanics.) I just want to create something original -- a break from the standard themes of sex/guns/murder, supermen, and mindless twitch puzzles.

17. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    I totally get it, man! If anyone would, it would be me, what with living in the Los Angeles area as I do! Know what I'm sayin'? Looking forward to your game! :D

18. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    #18 cloudpuff, May 1, 2014
    Last edited: May 1, 2014
    It can be seen as offensive as it looks like its stereotyping and mocking a section of society that often find themselves In a situation that is beyond their control.

That last paragraph kind of proves my point about stereotyping, like you find it unbelievable that a homeless person would be playing on an iPad, I was registered homeless once (through no fault of my own, no drugs etc) but had access to electronics, internet etc almost daily and could have very easily come across this game had iPads been around back then, not saying I would have found it offensive, just that it's perfectly possible that a homeless person could find it.

Edited, just saw your second post, I got your intentions wrong, I apologise.

19. asmccormick

asmccormick New Member

Apr 29, 2014
    Game Designer
    Istanbul
  20. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    I'll be surprised if Apple approves this. It's true that it's not really any worse than stuff depicted in GTA, but there's no rule that says Apple has to be consistent.

The initial submission of Pocket Boxing for IOS included a Muslim boxer named Jihad Joe. There wasn't anything offensive about his depiction, but I got a phone call and was told that it had to be changed.