How much money do you spend on apps per week? (on average)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Crazybreadman, Sep 29, 2010.

?

How much money do you spend on apps per week? (on average)

1. $1-2

21 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. $3-8

31 vote(s)
    49.2%
  3. $8-15

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  4. $15+

7 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Crazybreadman

Crazybreadman Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    App Developer
    Washington
    Hey everyone, I'm conducting a survey for a school project. Thanks for taking a second to answer the poll! :D

2. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    You crazy.

3. Crazybreadman

Jan 23, 2010
    App Developer
    Washington
    Sorry it took a minute to create the poll. :p

4. csklimowski

csklimowski Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    #4 csklimowski, Sep 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2010
    I spend about $3-4 a week.

5. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    lol 3-8 is pretty reasonable since ive never gone a week without at least buying 1 app. Spent 100 in the past 3 weeks though, and its not even a holiday sigh.

6. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    How about a 0-1 selection?

My average would probably be about 10p as I get a new app/game and play it to death before getting a new one.

7. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    £5 - £10.

8. mOOm

mOOm Active Member

Jul 30, 2010
    i am in the longest band... looks like i am common

9. Noman

Noman Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    I would say 3-8 is my average, though really it varies between 0 and 30.

10. tea

tea Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2010
    Same here... It really depends what's out there, versus what I'm playing already (ah! isn't it obvious though...).

The more time I spend hanging out on forums and sites, the less I spend money - too much of the good stuff (never mind the krapps) goes on discount, goes free etc...

11. Outkast1

Outkast1 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    Ha I'm the opposite. The more time I spend on here the more money I spend on apps. I wouldn't know about half the apps I have without this site.

I'm probably spending around 10$/week on games and general apps. I spent a bunch on photography apps after getting the iPhone 4 and I like a lot of travel/GPS type apps (star maps, golf gps').

12. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    #12 Qordobo, Sep 29, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
    I made the real average, the result is higher that I would have bet, converted from Euro: $24.73

And the average per game is $2.36

But even if it's higher that I would believe I take care of expenses through a calc I regularly update. In fact I find the sum per week ok for me, even if obviously this will seem too high for most.

EDIT:
    And to complete numbers:
    • 45.5 free/demo game per week.
    • 10.5 paid game/DLC per week.

Ha well I have a clear syndrome. :eek:

13. astonkiller

astonkiller Active Member

Sep 29, 2010
    baker
    west sussex england
    about £5-£10 just got real golf11 wish a hadn't crap!!!!!!!!

14. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    holy crap you're worse than me.
    ahhhh hahaha xP

15. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    every single one's in your iTunes library too? o-o

16. Burton

Burton Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Canada
    My average comes to $2.89/week.

17. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Virtually nothing.

If you are relatively new to the iDevice gaming scene, you don't even realize that the scene itself is practically dead. The golden age of appstore development is over, big time. It was pretty awesome while it lasted though. Most of the true indie devs have been pushed out, for better or for worse. Now you are left with mostly professionals. It does mean that the quality of games, once they are released, are often better. Games tend to be a little more polished right from the get-go these days. However, the developmental cycle for these games has been greatly increased. Hence, there are only a few games released each month nowadays that are worth a damn, to be honest.

It didn't used to be like this. Sure, it's evolution, in a sense. But it has also taken away much of the excitement and anticipation. I don't really anticipate games knowing that they take many months to develop. I still buy my fare share of console games, but I'm never really excited by the build up or the hype, because you have to wait six months to get them and after a while, I'm kinda like "meh. It'll get here when it gets here."

I was much more excited about iDevice games knowing that a particular game could release within a matter days after you first found out about it.

Now its like "wait three months or six months" for this game or that game and I'm like "whatever."

18. Crazybreadman

Jan 23, 2010
    App Developer
    Washington
    Same here. About half of my apps are seen on TA before I buy. I think the main factor that tips me into buying in an instant is if there is a good gameplay video. Otherwise I sit on the fence if there isn't a vid or a demo version. Also if the icon is ugly I won't buy even if it looks like the app could be fun.

Thanks everyone who's participated in the survey so far!

* Does anyone know where I could find some good general Appstore stats (analytics)?

19. Outkast1

Outkast1 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    So because games are coming out more polished, and correspondingly are taking longer to develop, the scene is dead? There have been tons of great games that have come out recently imo. I for one am happy not to be bombarded with loads of quickly made games every day and I think the best has yet to come. As you said, it's partly evolution. The App Store is extremely saturated and devs need to be more creative now to make unique games. In the beginning there were new Soduku/Poker/Mahjong/Match-3/etc games coming out all the time, but now there are so many available that it's significantly harder to get noticed unless you bring something new creative to the table. I like that and will take quality over quantity any day.

20. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Drat, I went over by £1.11. Hahaha.