RPG games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by joshrocks309, Apr 15, 2011.

1. joshrocks309

joshrocks309 Active Member

Jan 28, 2010
    a job
    somewhere of no importance
    i am looking for some good rpg games, im not rich so ones that arent to expensive wuld be nice. I like the turn based ones but also ones like zenonia 2, so any like that would be good. Just name any of them that you can think of and ill look for all of them because i really need a good game.

2. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    If you want something that's good, cheap, and has a lot of content, and seeing how you like turn-based RPGs, check out Monster RPG 2. Across Age is another personal favorite of mine, and it's very reasonable and easy to get into, and has lots of puzzling if you are into that sort of thing.

My personal recommendation for a good starter is Secret of Mana, but that's a little more expensive (you just missed the sale, unfortunately).

Just for general recommendations, my favorites are probably Mission Europa, Final Fantasy III, The Quest, Chaos Rings, and Crimson Gem Saga, in no particular order.

3. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #3 Vovin, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011

Try Itarus. Really good, Action RPG, $2.99.
    Next on my list would be Wild Frontier, 0.99$. A very good Action RPG.
    SEED 1 Normal Edition is free, try that and see if you like it. Was full priced before.
    And Queens Crown, $0.99 sale atm, if I am right.

There's also a free version of Inotia 3: Children Of Carnia out. That'll be priced at 3 bucks.

And a really good and free Action RPG is Demon Hunter: Full Version.
    Ads are not distracting, only pop up in main menu, afaik.

But if you like to have 35+ hours of fun: Crimson Gem Saga. A JRPG at full price, but the mass of content makes it worth it.

Monster RPG 2: JRPG for a buck with lots of content, too.

4. medianotzu

Nov 21, 2009
    Oh, and also, pretty good ones that are currently free: Undercroft and Wild Frontier.

5. medianotzu

Nov 21, 2009
    You liked Itarus, Vovin? :(

Actually, I think Inotia 3 is on sale for 99 cents at the moment as well.

6. STYJ

STYJ Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Student
    Singapore
    My personal favourite ... Galaxy on Fire 2 . Pretty not cheap ... >.>

Wild Frontier is a good KRPG but I don't like it . But I think it's now free .

Queen's crown seems pretty good too .

Never got to try other RPGs because they're really expensive ... *stares at Mission Europa , FF3 , Chaos rings*

edit : the sale for inotia 3 has ended already , in the Singapore store at least .

7. medianotzu

Nov 21, 2009
    Right you are, it is now $4.99. :eek:

8. MarkHerm

MarkHerm Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Germany
    I second this!

9. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #9 Vovin, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011

Yes, why? It was quite cool.

Wild Frontier free? Grab it!

And there is ASH - JRPG mechanics and an outstanding story. Price: 4 bucks.

But if you really like turn-based most, I'd stick to Crimson Gem Saga.
    Get used to the controls and you'll have a full console experience.
    Or MRPG2 for a buck.

10. STYJ

STYJ Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Student
    Singapore
    Oh and I really like Illusia . Sidescrolling 2D maple clone but better than the original maplestory by nexon . However , there is this one quest that is extremely cumbersome . Other than that , the rest of the game is really good .

11. medianotzu

Nov 21, 2009
    The horrible sound issue caused by music and sound effects sharing one channel where the music would cut in and out every time there was a sound effect made me want to gouge out my eardrums with knitting needles. The graphics were terribly blurry and stretched, the gameplay was largely fetch-based button mashing and...well...what did you like about it exactly? :eek:

12. pixelfightersgame

pixelfightersgame Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Obviously I'm biased because I'm the developer - but if you want a 99c Turn Based RPG you might like my game Pixel Fighters - www.pixelfightersgame.com

It's a score oriented RPG, so its an arcade-style RPG adventure that you are scored on at the end and ranked in leader-boards. I tried to make the gameplay appropriate/relevant to iPhone.

I'm also working on a big update for the game to be released in the next month or so which I'm really excited about.

Worst case scenario, you'll hate it and you can tell me directly right here :D - I'm a TA junkie myself and I openly welcome all feedback positive or negative.

13. Stranded87

Stranded87 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    I'm surprised no-one seems to have mentioned Rimelands: Hammer of Thor, easily my favourite RPG on the App store, and it's turn based.

Other than that I highly recommend The Quest, Galaxy on Fire 2 and Undercroft.

Or if you're more into JRPGS you should give Crimson Gem Saga or Chaos Rings a try.

14. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Lol I second that Itarus was horrible. It's one of the few KRPGs I instantly deleted after playing the 'tutorials.'

Best KRPGs, not including Zenonia 2:
    -Inotia 3
    -Wild Frontier
    -Queen's Crown
    -Illusia
    -Secret of Mana

Best JRPGs:
    -Crimson Gem Saga
    -FFIII
    -Chaos Rings
    -Ash
    -Across Age

Best Westerns/miscellaneous:
    -Galaxy on Fire 2
    -Aralon
    -Dungeon Hunter 2
    -Space Miner
    -Rimelands

I swear there's more than one thread on this topic EVERY SINGLE WEEK.

15. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Regarding price I know the cheaper the better but a lot of the RPGs have so much content they're actually pretty economical even at higher prices.

16. Nausicaa

Nausicaa Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2009
    I personally think FFIII and Secret of Mana are the best on the App store right now, but I admit I have only played 3 or 4 RPGs on the platform.

Thanks for the list backtothis, I am going to check some of these out.

17. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Wild Frontier is insanely good. Everyone should own it.

18. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Although it's on sale for $0.99 currently I never could get into Illusia; it just felt too repetative.

19. natejeevas

natejeevas Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Student
    Not USA
    Price-wise, try Wild Frontier or Zenonia 1 if you haven't. WF is now free and Zenonia is on sale for $1.

But if you want good turn-based RPG... wait for FFT:WoTL :p

20. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I would still love an Ultima IV type of game.

The problem with SOOOO many RPG's at the moment is that theyre all the type of japanese style ones, 'cute' graphics, want some proper old skool hack n slash type characters not some 14 year old boy who has to go on a mission etc.

Wish Ultima IV was on iOS, seen some sort of fan project where theyre hoping to port it but cant see it happening