Universal Total War Battles - (by SEGA) - Universal App

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Apr 18, 2012.

1. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Awesome much? This is my goto title for download tonight.

2. visionwebs

visionwebs Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Rome total war always was and always will be the best TW game ever made. If that was ported to a turn based version I would buy it 5 times on the same device if I could!

Going to buy this one though. If its good I shal get another ta game if it comes to IOS. If its bad I won't :)

3. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    Well, unsurprisingly, they seem to have riffed on Samurai Bloodshow (aka Edo PvZ), and I'm still very much interested. First of all, it's gorgeous -- that's not even up for debate. Animations look excellent, and generally speaking, the game looks fun. At first, I thought perhaps they were going the Civ V route with the hexagonal map, but yeah, it's definitely a lane defense of sorts. But there does seem to be structures involved as well.

4. koyut

koyut Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Does this have skrimish modes or is it all campaigns?

5. jar0d

jar0d Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Europe
    This looks great!!

6. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    I would also like to know the answer to this question. Thanks.

7. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    WOAH! totally blown away by the animations. LOVE EM!! Looks like I might be spending a little more than I wanted to today...

8. astonkiller

astonkiller Active Member

Sep 29, 2010
    baker
    west sussex england
    Playing on the pc at the moment great game, this looks awesome for iOS can play this when not on the computer.
    Online would be nice as long as it not run by steam!! Ha ha:)

9. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    For people who're wishing for online, there could be a chance that there could be online:

10. Twenty One

Twenty One Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Oil & Gas Engineer
    Oklahoma City, USA
    Ya, me too. Can anyone confirm?

I would assume if it did then the description would mention a skirmish mode...maybe they can add it later as that would be great! Multiplayer would be sweet also!

11. Gunlock

Gunlock Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2010
    One of the best unit animations I have ever seen on iOS, really fantastic job. Motion capture ftw! I think I’ll be getting myself a fresh iTunes gift card just to buy this game. I’m just hoping it will play well on a smaller 3GS screen. Games like this are like a perfect fit for an iPad, which I’m hoping to get sooner or later :)

12. slikaroo

slikaroo Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Game Impressions

Indeed the best unit animation on IOS. The hexagonal thingy actually works for the game: it adds alot to the strategy. Beautiful graphics and even on my ipod touch 4g small screen it doesn't feel too cluttered. I have only played for about 5 minutes and I'm loving it. wish there was online multiplayer so I can kick some real ass tho.

13. eAdvisory

eAdvisory Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Detroit
    No skirmish? Ill wait for skirmish. I mean, Skirmish is pretty much needed for a total war game.

14. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Does anyone know the uncompressed size? I really wanna put this on my ipod but I'm cramped for space. I guess I gotta delete more games...

15. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    #36 gunxsword, Apr 19, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
    459.3mb for my iPhone 4 (dunno if the device matters).

There's no skirmish mode :(.

Multiplayer mode on the same device is available though. Top-down battlefield, players dragging units onto the battlefield from the horizontal side of the device.

The lack of modes in general really does hurt this game's appeal and longevity. Dunno how long the campaign will last.

OH GOD IAP!

Campaign uses EXP system to upgrade buildings, such as resource production rate and amount produced per 'tick', unit abilities and improvements etc. Dunno if EXP is farm-able.

16. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    In a $7 iOS app, IAP better be cosmetic.

17. eAdvisory

eAdvisory Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Detroit
    Yes, i agree 100% if it isnt farmable as well, then i will go ape shit! lol

18. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    OH NOs!

Both of your fears are realized.

The IAP is ABSOLUTELY required if (and ONLY if) you want all the upgrades, because:

EXP are given in special scenarios marked by an EXP icon on the campaign map. The scenarios are replayable for highscore but does NOT give EXP upon completion after the first time.

This means the EXP given in the campaign is limited, and to obtain all upgrades, one must purchase IAP or ignore some pretty substantial upgrades.

There are 3 tiers of upgrades that cost 100, 300 and 800 EXP. There are 3-4 (sometimes 5) upgrades in every tier, each sold separately. Higher tier upgrades must be unlocked by purchasing the preliminary upgrade.

The effects are consecutive and predictable.
    Base resource gain rates increase in 5% increments, and environmental resource bonuses (gather x+ resource near y) increase in 1 unit increments.
    Unit improvements in the formula of [unit] with [upgrade] per game increase by 1 per upgrade. Henceforth, a unit with special abilities with max upgrades can be deployed 3 times in a battle compared to 1 with one upgrade.

*Edit: I know I painted a pretty negative picture of the EXP system because quite frankly, it is, but I don't plan on purchasing any IAP because I believe I can make do without the high tier upgrades :p.

19. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Thanks gunxsword. I'm gonna delete some stuff but man, I do hope it's worth it! It looks like something I'd want to stay on my ipod (I'll never delete my other Samurai:Bloodshow game off my ipod which is like PvZ).

Wow, that IAP is a turn off for this big a price tag. But I guess if the game is as fabulous as I'm hoping it'll be, then maybe I'll get over it..