Baroque - The Dark, Twisted Fantasy [sting co., ltd]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Exact-Psience, Dec 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Baroque isn't my favorite Sting game by any measure, but it lights a hope for the Dept. Heaven series, including outstanding games like Knights in the Nightmare, the Union series and Gungnir. Knights is the most fitting for the platform.

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yeah. Knights should be fantastic on the platform

3. Maythius

Maythius Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2008
    One of my all-time favorite roguelikes. I felt like a lot of people misunderstood this game (ex. Many reviewers beat the first tower and thought that ws the end of the game). This game has so much to offer if you are patient. :)

4. My god this game is hardcore. Will post more impressions later. I'm frustrated and enjoying this game at the same time

5. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Game Impressions

Okay, turning up the camera and turning sensitivity to max makes the game much more playable on my iPad, even if way too fuzzy with the text

I just realized, however, there are some real fundamental bits of this game that weren't covered in the training dungeon and I'm not even too sure if the characters in town mention them.

BEGINNING OF LITE SPOILAGE...

-Even if you kick ass and defeat every baddy in site as you make your way to the very bottom of the dungeon, YOU WILL STILL DIE AND NEED TO START ALL OVER BACK IN TOWN AS LEVEL 1! The key to making each run more manageable is to always use the Transfer Systems (those huge glowy orbs found in a few places on each dungeon run) to send some of your top items back for your next run (I can't recall if the items are held for you in town or laying about on the first floor of the Neuro Tower). When you make your later runs in the Neuro Tower you'll notice it extends a little deeper. As long as you progress in the story the tower will get deeper with each clearing until the tower is finally cleared.

-That bronze robot you encounter occasionally in the tower is your friend! If you toss a few of your junk items at him he will throw a new RANDOM item back at you! While I think what he tosses back at you is completely random, it might be that certain combos of items will get you specific results.

-If the monsters weren't nasty enough, be careful of the tower's own environmental hazards like steam vents, jets of flame, etc. Realize also that you can even use these hazards against the baddies themselves.

So There!

6. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Gulp! What have I gottin myself into here? Oh no!!!!!

7. geoelectric

geoelectric Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    This game is awesome! I love this sort of intensely Japanese presentation over roguelike. Z.H.P. would be another excellent port.

8. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    ZHP is my favorite roguelike of alltime. My PSP only had T6, MHP3rd, and ZHP on it. :D

9. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    I'm a little puzzled by Lordgeks comment about fighting every baddie and yet dying and going back to the beginning level one in the town? Aren't we suppose to save our progress and pick up where we left off or not? Although that's what I'm doing and I'm dying quickly in a room with various monsters that are hard to evade -my life force goes down real fast!
    Help!!!!

10. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Yeah, you will die a lot in this game no matter what, but, something to consider when being swarmed at least, and this is a classic tip that works in most roguelikes I'd say, retreat to the nearest doorway! If you work this right (fighting back right on the other side of the room entrance) only 1, maybe 2 guys will be able to attack you at a time though the doorway as they all need to get into single file just to get at you.

11. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    Thanks! Yeah I'm getting a little better but thanks for the tip! Those lovely creatures are fun to tango with but hallways seem a good option:)
    I've gottin a few more floors down!

12. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Crap weasels, this ZHP looks AWESOME! If I can only find my PSP, it will be mine! :D

13. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Damn this one looks great... but the behind the back view. Gah!! I just can't seem to get comfortable with it.

I'm hovering over the buy button, but really wanna try and wait to see if an update allows for a different camera angle. =oP

14. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    No problem, you can play the game completely from the first person point of view already! Just tap the "View" button and it will remain in the first person point of view for the rest of the game.

15. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    There is a "view" option to remove your amnesiac main character from your view...I tried it a bit and its pretty good but its hard for me at least to figure out the proper distance from a creature to strike it!
    Also hovering over the complete buy button...not sure buts its intriguing isn't it?!?
    Listen to me ....going on like I'm some expert on this game:)

16. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yeah... the FPV didn't really work out for me either... I'm hoping we'll be able to move the camera further behind the character in 3rd person view.

Thanks though! =oP

17. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    Excuse my ignorance but what is ZHP?
    Maybe since I'm having such a fun time with Baroque I shouldn't ask!:)

18. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Zettai Hero Project...

19. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA