N.Y.Z. -- zombies, weapons, trophies, awesome.

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Foursaken_Media, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

#1 Foursaken_Media, Jan 17, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
    Updated Gameplay Video (2/3)

- This is a video of one endless wave to get an idea of how the game plays.

Hi everyone! I'd like to introduce our upcoming game N.Y.Z., a first person zombie game. We've been developing this game for over a year now, shooting for a simple to play, deep, and most importantly fun game that will appeal to both casual and more hardcore gamers alike.

In story mode you progress through over 20 totally unique levels -- ranging from the streets of NY, to the subway system, to highways, rural farmlands, mountains, forests, graveyards, and more -- earning cash along the way by killing zombies and saving survivors. After each level you have a chance to buy and upgrade from over 20 weapons and abilities, equipping up to 6 at a time to bring with you into battle. We also have 21 achievements to keep you playing for extra hours, each with its own highly detailed trophy. We put a lot of time into these to make it so you actually want to unlock them.

Or play endless mode and fight against wave after wave of zombies and other creatures. Last as long as possible and then submit your best time to our online leaderboard.

If you haven't already, make sure to watch the trailer and post any feedback/comments/questions! :)

- Simple to play with depth
    - 20+ unique levels, many with animated objects and scripted events
    - 11 enemy types each with different skills and attributes
    - 24 weapons and abilities from all the standard weapons to grenades to mines to molotav cocktails to explosive shells and more
    - 21 achievements
    - Highly detailed trophies
    - Story and endless modes
    - Awesome special effects -- explosions, smoke, fire, muzzle flash, flickering lights, flares, screen shake, recoil, and more
    - Unprecedented number of enemies onscreen at once in an FPS, running well even on an iphone 3G

2. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    "The URL contained a malformed video ID." :|

3. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    #3 B34$T, Jan 17, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
    Video link doesn't seem to work.

4. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Sigh... sorry. Should be fixed now ;) Wish the embed worked :/

5. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
  6. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

7. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    Sounds like it's going to be an awesome game, just. Really want to see a video. Badly. Can you re-upload?

8. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

should be working now...

9. Kunning

Kunning Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Looks great, but I would have love it if I could see weapons onscreen... without a weapon on the screen it seems to be missing something.

10. iball

iball Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Now this looks pretty frickin' cool.
    Estimated release date?

11. spidey146

spidey146 Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    I agree with Kunning, great looking game (gotta love the molotav cocktails) but it seems a little TOO first person if you know what I mean.

12. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Cute. I really love the idea of zombies taking bionic leaps in the corn field (weird but kind of scary and unexpected in a zombie game)!

13. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    You may possibly have the greatest zombie game for the iPhone if you keep this up... it's just like Left 4 Dead... wow, I'm really impressed. The big thing that got me was the amount of zombies you had on screen without any sort of slowdown. It's just awesome.

3 things:

1.) Will there be gun models? Being able to see the actual gun just makes the game that much more fun. I can't explain it, but I just don't like when there's no gun model and it's just a bullet coming out of nowhere.

2.) Will there be gun switching and different weapons, or do you just tap the type of gun you want to fire on the bottom and it shoots?

3.) Any planned multiplayer?

I'll be following this one. If you keep up the good work, you'll probably catch everyone off guard and create one of the greatest zombie games on the platform.

14. SirDarkened

SirDarkened Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Ha srsly?
    Where do I live?
    If there's no guns on screen this is a definite miss for me. I don't like shooting from nothing, that's a cop out imo.

15. johnwayne

johnwayne Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Germany
    Looks really cool from the video but

guns are missing
    better blood effects looks like small dots, ugly

could become the best zombie game on iphone though dead strike is getting better with each update.

16. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Hey, thanks for all the comments :) I'll apologize for the wall of text in advance...

I thought we should address the concern that people are having about no onscreen weapon models, as that seems to be a biggest complaint.

First of all, the control scheme is tap-to-shoot, so as you can imagine, there is no possible, good looking way to add weapon models that would animate properly and actually shoot where you aimed without looking ridiculous (imagine watching a gun instantly appear pointing from one side of the screen to the other as you tap different places of the screen). Again, while it was a conscious decision to exclude weapon models, we tried our best to make the game as immersive as possible without them, including real muzzle flash effects that light up the environments and enemies, as well as recoil. Once you play the game we promise you it doesn't detract from the fun factor at all.

Now, I know people may be cringing at the thought of tap-to-shoot, but the reason we went this route is two fold. First, this was the only control method we found worked with an iphone FPS with THIS much action. This isn't NOVA for ex with 3 enemies at a time, or even battle bears where you are only fighting from one direction. We have over 50 enemies coming at you AT ONCE from every direction sometimes, and with tilt or "battle bears style" controls, we just found it to be too sluggish. Tap to shoot (in this case) keeps the pace fast and action packed.

Second, we wanted the focus to be on the strategy of the weapons and how they interact with the environments and the different enemies, not necessarily how well or quickly you can aim. Because it actually matters which weapons you have equipped, you can choose to play differently according to your play style as well. Our weapons have unique purposes that play out very differently; they're not just "stronger, better, more ammo" clones. Let me give you some examples. Handle hordes of lesser zombies with grenades, molotavs, and explosive shells. Handle large enemies with the powerful rifle, flash bangs to stun them, or the head exploding brainbomb. Fast enemies may require a fully automatic weapon to be able to hit them reliably. We have support enemies called "tumor zombies" that will resurrect any dead zombies around them while they are alive, however they can be difficult to kill when they are behind a horde of other enemies and you don't have a clear shot. So, you might want to use the rail gun, a powerful weapon that shoots through enemies, or use the sniper rifle to zoom in for a clean shot. You can play defensively by blocking off parts of the environment with mines and molotavs, and then use the shotguns ability to knock down and push back enemies that aren't in its kill range to keep them at bay. You can load up on passive upgrades like armor and health, and become very survivable with a med pack. These are just a few of the ideas that are the focus of NYZ.

That being said, we are definitely open to suggestions and take peoples' feedback seriously, so keep posting any concerns :)

17. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Foursaken media, wow thanks for the response!

How is the games performance on an idevice? It looks like it would kill my ipod

18. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Well I'm not going to quote that whole thing, so this is replying to that large wall of text.

I actually like the tap-to-shoot thing. That's a really awesome idea. So it's pretty much like Surroundead but with a ton more guns, zombies, and the ability to walk around? That's just insane.

How do the leves progress? Are there safehouses, or do you just get to the end and finish?

As for your weapon model thing, have you ever played Touch the Dead? They use the tap-to-shoot technique, on rails, but the gun never changes position. It always faces forward, but you can shoot anywhere on screen. This might be a good idea for you to implement if you can, I think it'd really add to the game's overall polished look. Even something simple for each gun, it's just, for me, better than nothing. That way you can keep the touch to shoot mechanic, and still have it look like a regular FPS, satisfying everyone. Just a thought.

And any idea on release dates?

19. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

da shiz wiz:

The performance should surprise you :) We are optimizing it on regular 3G's to make sure we do as much as we can to get a solid frame rate. We use a couple of methods to increase performance, the main one being that we render zombies at a distance with a progressively lower amount of polygons. You won't notice it in game because they will be far away (especially on an idevice screen), but it allows us to really pump up the amount of zombies out at any one time.

somerandomdude:

Hmmm, no haven't checked that game out... but that would just really bother me to see a static 3d gun not moving even when you're shooting all over the screen. IMO that would be even LESS immersive then no weapons! We promise the lack of weapon models isn't a cop out by any means. In fact, we discussed this early on in our development, and even had several, fully animated weapon models. In the end, it just didn't look good.

ETA btw should be about 3-4 weeks from now, depending on the approval process.

20. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    #20 ShadowsFall, Jan 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
    Now that's what I call a game...

By the way, some questions, what will be the controls for movement, etc.? Is there going to be a crosshair/reticle? Are the maps big? Is there any melee weapons? etc.

:D, this seems to be a very graphic (well scripted) game!