Apple Banning Incentivized Installs - Rankings Algorithm Change Effects

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by CMac, Apr 25, 2011.

1. CMac

CMac New Member

Apr 12, 2011
    What's a job?
    Florida
    Hey All,

As developers, what do you make of this current scenario?

http://www.insidemobileapps.com/2011/04/19/apps-apple-rejected-pay-per-install/ (there's many other articles on the subject across the web by this point)

In late December, we decided to use TapJoy's services to do a campaign for our freemium based game and also installed their offerwall. We allocated more time and resources to development for our update than we normally would have b/c we were, at the time, guaranteed exposure to users. Now, about 1-2 weeks before we were going to submit our update, it appears everything has changed. I'm trying to make the best of our current situation. Has anyone else here used a TapJoy or a Flurry's services before to enter the rankings? What is Apple's next move? How do you think this will transpire? Any idea what the new ranking algorithm is?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated! We're in full-on panic mode at the office :confused:

Cameron M.
    Raise the Village

2. artcue

artcue Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Gamedeveloper, Co-Founder of Artcue
    Vienna, Austria
    #2 artcue, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
    Inside mobile apps, wrote yesterday: "It’s unclear what Apple’s final policy on incentivized installs will be.

According to multiple sources, the ban appears porous: some apps with offer walls are getting through and others aren’t.

Tapjoy is voluntarily dampening the effect of its incentivized install campaigns in the wake of a crackdown by Apple on the practice. The company is putting a cap on the number of installs any single app can drive for another."

3. BlueSolarSoftware

BlueSolarSoftware Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    Austin
    This is the nature of the app store. I can't give you any specific advice. The best thing to do is forget it happened, and implement your plan B.

I know it sucks to work on a feature or update, and then have everything go down the drain. But this won't be the first or last time this happens. It's better to learn how to deal with these situations if you want to continue developing games.

4. CMac

CMac New Member

Apr 12, 2011
    What's a job?
    Florida
    Yes sir! I'm by no means looking for a pity party here, just trying to get some insider info or admirable predictions that could aid in decision making these weeks. The main fear we have in the short-term is that Apple decides to remove existing offerwalls from the market until this is resolved. We're in no position to wait this one out. At this point we were analyzing our options for the campaign, to maximize value. I'd love to hear any thoughts you have on how this will transpire.

5. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    Submit it , youll see if apple lets you through or not and if not remove tapjoy,resubmit.