Universal Total War Battles - (by SEGA) - Universal App

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Apr 18, 2012.

1. coxy

coxy Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2011
    England
    Thanks mate

Think I'll buy it but gonna have to delete some apps first. The one annoying thing about all of these Retina updates is that some apps are vastly increasing in size which is making my 16Gb iPad2 fill up very quickly...

Not fair for those of us without retina that we have to have more memory locked up which we can't take advantage of :(

2. grenadedodger

grenadedodger Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    Oh I am so torn over whether to get this or not. On the one hand you guys who have taken the plunge are saying it's pretty damn good and quite frankly the animation looks nearly worth the price of admission alone....

On the other hand I am really not a fan of lane defence titles and I must admit I think it's a bloody liberty putting in iap in a £5 app, especially as it does affect gameplay.

What to do what to do...

3. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    It's a lane based castle offense type game with RTS elements of resource gathering and base building with lite puzzling.

Also, the EXP scenarios can get pretty damn mind numbing because everything is moving quite slowly so trial and error gameplay can get tedious pretty soon.
    Though the satisfaction (or removal of frustration) from completing one is quite substantial :p.

4. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    For those who complain about the accent, Total War has always had English with accents for different countries, which is FAR more realistic than if everyone speaks American English.

Examples:

The only problem with those accents is that they're not authentic French or Spanish accent (I have a few French friends, some with very thick accent, and they sound nothing like in that video), so I can understand the frustration of some people with the weird English.

5. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Go for it! I was skeptical but I love it. You'll enjoy watching your units (especial samurai vs samurai) slash at each other just for kicks. There's more strategy than just building units as quick as you can to clog up lanes. On one of the earlier missions there's a bottle neck and and I basically got 4 sets of units mauled by 1 of theirs supported by archers.

There's also puzzles you can play. I spent an hour doing 1 and giving up on another. If you love action and puzzles, this will be your thing. I tried but I don't think I'll ever touch those again... they hurt my head so much lol.

6. RazvanGNR

RazvanGNR Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Hard to believe considering your name! :p :))

7. visionwebs

visionwebs Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    This is a little strange on the app store it says:

Released: 18th april 2012
    Updated: 17th april 2012 on the description lol

8. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Can't say I won't end up in the same position later on... I'm currently caught up in the 4th EXP mission but I know what to do but keep screwing up my movements :p.

9. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yeah it's like that with quite a few games... They get an original version uploaded, and then find bugs before release, and get it updated before then. =o)

10. Ako Vendetta

Ako Vendetta Member

Apr 19, 2012
    #70 Ako Vendetta, Apr 19, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
    Different style of play. Im hooked on Hunters 2 as well. I wouldn't say it replaces it, just because they play so differently. It's like a lane defense, rts, puzzle game with a story.

Incidentaly, i have foud so far that EXP and upgrading buildings is not necessary to complete the campain, though does help make rhe game easier. EXP are earned in side quests, and are not part of the main campaign path, entirely optional.

Its not a strict lane defense in the sense of say Samurai Bloodshow. I'm not huge on lane defense either, but I find this quite satisfying!

As for the IAP of EXP, I find its more like a handicap kinda thing. Spend EXP to make the game a little easier if you are having difficulty. Once I got the game and experienced the way the building upgrade tiers work, its obvious that it isnt necessary to experience the full game.

And did I miss something in the first mission about how to gather resources? I only just figured out by accident you have to tap on the resource icons on the map to collect them, i initially thought they were just symbolic of whatresources you were accessing... Resource gathering is now not as slow as I first thought!

11. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yeah, right now, I'm progressing fairly decently, and haven't upgraded anything with my EXP... I'm really enjoying the rise in difficulty

12. thebleeptruth

thebleeptruth Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    I hope they could somehow incorporate it thru an update. Or maybe a separate game. They already got the battle portion. Just need the Risk-like element and the country map, and a few strategic units.

13. ltcommander.data

ltcommander.data Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    The app requirements say any iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad and only needs iOS 4.2, which means 2nd gen devices should in theory be compatible. I'm not expecting good performance, but I'm just curious if anyone's tried it on a 2nd gen iPod Touch? I have both a 4th gen and a 2nd gen device so it would be nice if they both worked when I get Total War.

14. Ako Vendetta

Ako Vendetta Member

Apr 19, 2012
    iOS version aside, I don't think 2nd gen devices have the hardware requirements to render the game.

15. ltcommander.data

ltcommander.data Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    It would make the most sense for the game to be OpenGL ES 2.0, which would put it out of reach of 2nd gen devices.

16. visionwebs

visionwebs Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    I don't want to knock this game too much because its ok. Just about worth the money which is great.

Having said that, the units move so slow I could swear that paint dries faster. :( If there was a toggle option to add 25% or 50% speed then it would be much more fun to play imho.

17. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    LOL. Yes.... I need more sugar to get my brain going again!

--

I agree the movement speed should be faster but I guess they want them to be realistically "jogging" or "walking" rather than every unit running. The saddest part is when you use a cavalry, they go FAST and then i have to keep hitting stop to keep the archers or whoever behind them caught up lol.

Some exp missions are fun, and some are downright insane. The funnest one so far I've played is attacking the 2 cannons with the 2 elite samurai and 2 elite gun troops. If you haven't played the EXP mission, you're missing out. It's just so epic waiting for your gunmen to reload (i was yelling at them that they're gonna DIE if they don't reload quicker), getting mowed down by cannon balls, then having your samurai charge. I ended up beating the level with ONE elite samurai standing. He mauled 2 entire squads of units alone then the last canon guy was helpless once i was too close. This game makes me feel like a hero.

18. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

19. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Looking at Samurai Bloodshow's launch, I expect 2 or 3 price increases and decreases within 30 days.

20. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    LOL! I loved that mission! (sarcasm). I raged because my samurais constantly failed to deflect arrows. In my first try, my ENTIRE squad of samurai died to one volley.

I learnt to use my matchlocks as cannon bait in future EXP missions :D.