Generations (working title) a Metroidvania type game

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Diablohead, Nov 26, 2011.

1. ANIMALCHOPPINGS

ANIMALCHOPPINGS Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Canada
    Looks great so far!

2. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    Just want to say that this game is still alive though greatly behind in where I wanted to be with it, but it is coming along rather nicely.

I have made movement a lot smoother especially on slopes and stairs, added in enemies and the ability to actually get a game over from 0 hp, multiple switches and health boxes which remember if they are used or not among other behind the scenes improvements.

If i'm going to release a game I want it done properly :) These images are direct from a 4g touch, an ipad version is in testing and had a better resolution and more purdy lighting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. mestour

mestour Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Hey ,
    can i work with you :D
    i can make music , for a very low price if you want
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    the game looks good ... are you using shader effects ?

4. penguinspl

penguinspl Well-Known Member

May 19, 2012
    Ipad version oh yes!!.Take my money now!! Waiting for release date:):)

5. h0130j03

h0130j03 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Glad this game is still alive! Still have that metroidvania itch that needs scratching. Patiently awaiting more :)

6. Foxbat

Foxbat Well-Known Member

I can just look at that gif all day! really digging those pixel art and def looking forward to when this is done!

7. Diablohead

Jan 19, 2009
    Just a quickie, all I can say is that this game will be out within the next 3 months and no later then that, it sounds far away but after working on it for a good year on and off i'm glad to get this far.

Here is a short youtube video with some sections of the music you will hear in the game, I think this music will fit in perfectly with the metroidvania style exploring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_tQ1Bp5N8o

Oh and you can also set things on fire :p

8. Diablohead

Jan 19, 2009
    A bump for an update in two parts.

I have been spending all my spare time outside of working to make this game and it is coming together nicely, I revised a lot of the game engine and have added a lot of features while improving performance which is always good.

I built a completely new test zone and revised collisions from the character, still have a few bugs there to sort out such as being sucked into a wall and getting stuck :)

There is more post processing lighting going on but you will be able to disable this if you just want pixel art, it will also scale depending on device.

Fingers crossed that I can get the device globally supported for all screen sizes, even the rumored iphone 5 size but there is not much I can do about that until one is out, however I have set up the virtual controls to fit all types of screens even android devices in the future if I get good sales.

Tomorrow I will be posting a big video update, you all deserve to see what is going on after such a long wait.

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    For some reason i missed that earlier beta video above. Really like the look of it, a few comments !

When you kill a zombie with the machine gun be nice if the zombie then slumps to the floor instead of just disappearing.

When you dont move she seems to do a funny action ! Think it would be fine (and surely easier for you) if theres no animation if you dont press left/right

Either way i'm really looking forward to this one

10. Diablohead

Jan 19, 2009
    All early stuff, zombies will fall over on death I just need to set it up and give it the right animations, and Nakiti will do stuff when idle if nothing is around.

11. Diablohead

Jan 19, 2009
    #32 Diablohead, Feb 5, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
    Sorry for being so slow with updates but I want to let you know that I am still working hard on this game nearly every day, it has been a lot of work for me but I do plan to get this game completed in the next few months.

A lot of the core features are in and working, Nakiti now has 14 skills to find and unlock over the original 8 I started with, the visuals are also improving all the time with more lighting and shadow effects, however I have had to limit some of this stuff on older devices to keep frame rates up. The game is 30fps on older devices but will run at 60fps on something like the iphone 5 (but some stuff will only refresh at 30fps but it's still quite smooth)

Zombies fall over when killed, they might even try to bite your leg :) also some new enemies which are still being designed.

The OST is finally finished and is 8 tracks long, I hope that you all end up enjoying the music as it's a little upbeat compared to say the music in super metroid.

This game will also be PC compatible and fingers crossed, android and ouya in the future, I have set things up so if that happens it's a case of toggling a few values to change things around.

I do plan to show off the game in action as soon as possible!

12. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    can't... wait!

13. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Heyyy, looking pretty sweet.

14. Triscuitable

Triscuitable Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2011
    Games Journalist
    Seattle, WA
    #35 Triscuitable, Feb 5, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
    Looks a bit too much like Metroid: Fusion to me. Not that it's a bad thing, but the similarities are striking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll find better screens later.

15. macatron

macatron Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    +1 to that!! ^^^^ :D

16. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    Can't wait for the long run of making this to be over, and the chance to play this beauty at last. :D

17. Diablohead

Jan 19, 2009

18. Diablohead

Jan 19, 2009
    Just a quickie, this is how the game currently looks on iphone 5's

[​IMG]

19. Triscuitable

Triscuitable Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2011
    Games Journalist
    Seattle, WA
    I think the game might be too zoomed in the on the PC.