[ARTICLE] Gamasutra on Freemium Apps

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Aztlan.Games, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Aztlan.Games

Aztlan.Games Well-Known Member

2. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    hmm short news article backed up by numbers from a company i never heart of before (which does not mean anything) for having a good insight into the appstore metrics.. weird.. never heard of the company distimo before.

3. Aztlan.Games

4. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    #4 mr.Ugly, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
    well the question of if its being quoted because of the way they write their headlines or because of the quality of their analytics..

of course if you search explicit for their name you find stuff.. but if you search with broader terms like app store, ios , analytics whatever i don't find anything on them and the "old" big dogs like flurry and appannie pop up who actualy have a userbase they can base their analytics on..

not sure where thoose distimo guys have their numbers from..

5. Aztlan.Games

I really like your tendency for reasonable doubt :)

Any idea how I could get closer to a solution?

6. Aztlan.Games

Addendum... I believe that it is crucial to assess the reliability of the mentioned company. This is very important. Unfortunately I have trouble doing so and would be happy to receive some hints there.

7. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

Yeah... who are they? At any rate, people like to try before they buy with unknown developers, enough said.

8. Aztlan.Games

Well... I have exchanged some emails with the guys at Distimo. They are very friendly and helpful.

They use publicly availabe information, that includes rankings, reviews, ratings et cetera, from the App Store.

On top of them they rely on information provided by developers. This is were the secret is buried :D This information seems to be gathered from the data that is provided by the Apple developer platform. Of course you must voluntarily make this data available. The exact nature of the collected data and the amount of data is however unknown.

9. Luke Kellett

Luke Kellett Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Indie iPhone Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia
    Well I and a number of other developers that I know use Distimo for tracking of their apps.

One thing that Distimo do well is allow developers who deploy to multiple operating systems (such android, blackberry and wm7) pull store data as well. Makes it a great one stop shop. But if you are a iOS only dev then App Annie and App Figures are also good!