Are we going to ever see a full call of duty game.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Iroc13, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Iroc13

Iroc13 Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Does anyone no if activision is plan on making a call of duty game for iPhone and iPod. Because they have cod waw zombies and it's not a full featured call of duty game. Anybody know if a call of duty game will ever come out?

2. bballbeast76

bballbeast76 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    I don't think we ever will. The full CoD game is just too hard to implement on the iPod, and the size of the game would have to be several gigs at least. Graphics wouldn't be too great, and I doubt multiplayer would be good, with the state of the CoD zombies multiplayer right now. and we all know that multiplayer is the best part of cod. even if it came out, I doubt I would buy it. It would cost probably 15 bucks at least, with sub-par graphics and gameplay. The iPhone just can't handle cod.

3. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
  4. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    I know that Glu is making one for mobile phones for Black Ops, but I highly doubt that they'd port the full game to the iPhone.

That said, I'm content having the entire game of World at War: Zombies on my iPod. With multiple maps and the entire Nazi Zombies game ported, I'll be quite content with it for a long time.

5. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    Only reason I bought the console version ;)

6. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

It is totally possible to bring a full COD game to iPhone, just unlikely given that its not really feasible to charge much more than $10 on the app store. Given that, i'd say the most likely game we could get is a port of an older game, like COD3. There's also a PSP version of that, so it might be quite feasible for about $10.

7. nooobynick

nooobynick Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    I see no reason why they couldn't restrict it to 3g touch/3gs or newer so they could have better graphics, and they could always support one of the plug-in controllers people keep trying to develop, support from a company like Activision would be able to standardize the iphone/touch game controller addon.

8. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    No. That game would cost a mimium of 19.99. And probably more in the range of 29.99. Activision does not believe that iphone owners would pay between 19.99-29.99 for a game. Most games on the appstore sell in the price range of 0.99-4.99. Chaos Rings sells for 12.99. COD would then have to sell for at least 7.00 more than the highest priced iphone game on the market.

There are 3 full COD games available for the DS. Each one of those games sold originally for 39.99.

If you are Activision, the math just doesn't add up.

Glu's mobile version will probably be a cheap Java game. They won't develop it for smartphones. It will be a java game, for certain. Whether it will even be a decent Java game or a shameless money grab remains to be seen.

9. Donovan1209

Donovan1209 Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    United States
    @Dumaz1000 Umm, aren't there DS versions ;) yup I thought so

10. nkflier23

nkflier23 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2010
    I think Brothers in Arms 2 serves as the perfect substitute

11. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    No, there are. They're not the same game as the console games, but they're more or less based on those games. I have Call of Duty 4 and World at War (unfortunately no nazi zombies...) on the DS, and they're actually pretty good games. I took the time to play 4 through to the end, and after writing this I'd probably finish up World at War which I made good progress in if I hadn't picked up Ace Attorney Investigations.

Nonetheless, while not the highest-quality FPS games on the platform (that either goes to Metroid or Dementium, in my opinion at least), they're actually pretty good games. If they were ported, I'd be glad to get one (preferrably Modern Warfare Mobilized), as long as multiplayer remains intact, and possibly a graphics update.

Also, that $30 apice for the DS games is higher than a typical higher-end game's price due to additional costs that come with physical distribution, rather than digital. With a DS game, they have to design an appealing cover, which they will most likely hire someone to do. Then, they have to mass-produce the game cartidges, and they have to carefully predict how many people would buy it, and how many copies they should make (a necessary step demonstrated by E.T. for the Atari). Lastly, with shipping costs added, and the amount of each sale that actually goes to the store (although this happens in the App Store as well from what I understand), the game's cost of production rises much higher, since as long as it's being sold new, the company will have to continually produce it. They also have to factor in things such as lost prophets from buying/selling used games, etc. On the other hand, with digital distribution, the only costs go into the developing end, like the license, development costs, some advertising, etc. After it gets approved and is being sold, the developers can sit back and not worry about many of the costs of physical distribution. Therefore, seeing as the cost of production is lower depending on the game, the cost of purchase can be lower and still be justified. That's why so many developers have ported over $30 DS games to the AppStore for $10.

12. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Nobody knows.