Tapsteroids "Perseids" free day results

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Kafu, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Kafu

Kafu Well-Known Member

2. ImperialPenguin

Jun 20, 2011
    Programmer
    Virginia
    I'd be interested in an update to see how your sales went the day after the free promotion. I'm thinking of making some of my apps free for a day to boost lagging sales, but I'm wondering if the sales boost is worth the extra negative reviews that tend to come with free apps.

3. rikschennink

rikschennink Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2011
    Webdeveloper
    Netherlands
    Hi!
    I've got the same burning question as ImperialPenguin, really interested in impact on sales at the moment. Also, I'm a little hesitant to make my game free as that would make 'everyone' download it not only people that are interested in the genre possibly resulting in negative reviews. Dit the sale have an effect on the type of reviews you get?

4. Raines

Raines Active Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Did you make any public announcement when going free?

5. Kafu

Kafu Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

the free day has been promoted using 3 classic channels:
    • press release to media
    • private mailing to reviewers & websites
    • our (weak) social networks

This was our second "free" day of Tapsteroids (the first one was done past year, few days after it was published). The first time, daily sales after the free day was (using as base the number of paid sales done the day before the promotion):
    1. x3.0
    2. x1.4
    3. x0.5
    this time:
    1. x6.5
    2. x2.0
    3. ~ x0.5 (estimate from partial data, as currently I've no official data for today)

So, from my experience (and with Tapsteroids), the effect on sales ends after 2 days. But we promoted the same exact game: no updates has been done to the game (thus the same behavior was expected).

About reviews: yes, people leave bad reviews when you are so kindly yo give them your game for free ;) The main problem with free promotions is that games are downloaded also by people not loving the genre, and for small games this is a problem. But you can't sell if your game is not visible ;)