Anybody here with Apple TV and iPad air?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by PresidentZer0, Nov 3, 2013.

1. PresidentZer0

PresidentZer0 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2012
    Would be interesting to know if MIMO reduces the lag when mirroring to Apple TV. Best setup would be to wire the Apple TV with Ethernet.

Anyone here who can try it?

2. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    What does mimo for wifi do? Saw it in the keynote, but didn't look into it.

3. PresidentZer0

Dec 7, 2012
    Two antennas , basically.

4. Crzychkn

Crzychkn Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Utah, USA
    I have both. My tv is setup wirelessly though. I don't know that I notice much difference yet. I will test it out and see.

5. PresidentZer0

Dec 7, 2012
    Apple TV has to be connected with Ethernet to stand a chance. Also your router has to be somewhat good and in the near of your ipad

6. Crzychkn

Dec 21, 2008
    Utah, USA
    The router is definitely up to par, but without the Ethernet connection it doesn't seem any better. I can't hook it up Ethernet though so someone else will have to test that bit.

7. But the current apple tv is just single attenna right?

Does mirroring actually go through the router so a ethernet connection would help? Or is it done wirelessly?

8. Crzychkn

Dec 21, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Yes the Ethernet connection would help (I would think, anyways). It goes through the router, but I think you are right on the single antenna of the TV. Ethernet is faster than wireless anyways.

Hopefully someone has the setup and can give results, as if it's noticably better I may have to adjust my setup. It would take a bit of work to do just for testing on mine though.

9. I am kinda thinking it might have to wait for the new rumoured apple tv to notice a speed difference with ipad mirroring, but yeah, i am curious too if the ethernet would make any difference with the ipad air. Hopefully one day airplay on appletv will be fast enough to be able to use for fast paced ipad mirrrored games.

10. PresidentZer0

Dec 7, 2012
    It's such a pain that we don't have the opportunity to just stream hour games lag free on a tv... Every silly cheap android phone is able to do that.

11. PresidentZer0

Dec 7, 2012
    Maybe it will be lag free if the new Apple TV streams to the idevice peer to peer (like the wii u)

12. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Resurrecting this old thread. My parents just got an Apple TV and I was so excited to play my ipad games on a big screen. I noticed the lag problem right away. It's pretty sad#
    Anyone ever find a solution? It pisses me off that they advertise that it works well but it's pretty impossible to play a game well unless it's turned based.
    Is the entire thing based on your router?

13. QuertzPerLiter

Mar 19, 2015
    I have the latest gen Apple TV, the iPad Air 2 & a Dual Band Router (2.4ghz & 5Ghz) and I stil experience lag. With and without a Bluetooth peripheral. The Wii U idea sounds very smart by the way