Universal Mutant Mudds - (by Renegade Kid)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Dec 5, 2012.

1. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    So is this a speed or traditional platformer? Got my hands full with Mini Dash and, frankly, I had been kind of burnt out on speed platformers prior to that.

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Not a fan of speed platformers myself, from what i've seen on the videos it seems to be more a traditional type of platformer

3. studepaber007

studepaber007 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Ohio
    I believe it's a traditional platformer :)

4. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    It's a standard platform game; there is a timer present, but it counts up, not down.

5. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Ohhhhh holy freakin' chicken balls! This looks great! Instabuy!

6. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Glad it's more traditional. Think it might take me an eternity to get through some of Mini Dash's levels. Need something wih a little less pressure. :)

7. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Having a blast with Mini Dash, but after reading some reviews im getting this too :)

8. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    This is really, really, really good. No iAP as far as I can see, which is rather interesting, but the game is four kinds of awesome from Tuesday. Yeah, it's that good.

There's a timer on levels that goes up, and there's a speed running aspect to the leaderboards (#1 on 1-1. Boo yah.) but there's nothing to stop you taking your time and finding all coins, discovering the secret level, and just having a great time. Definitely a great pick if it looks even remotely interesting.

I've only just beaten 1-1 (speedrunning takes many replays) but apparently there are boss fights and other goodies. Can't wait.

9. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Still kind of interested in this but I see a huge contrast is the reviews of the 3DS version compared to the PC version. It kind of sounded like the game made good use of the 3D effects (which we obviously won't get on the iOS.)

Metacritic 3DS: 80%
    Metacritic PC: 60% (granted only 4 reviews)

Sure it's still well worth the buck. Playing some other platformers like Polyroll already so might wait on this one.

10. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Woah woah woah! The game's at $0.99 so you are required to ask the inevitable before any other comments! :D

11. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    LOL!

Well, this one just looks too good to even ask if it's worthy of my buck. :p

12. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    The difference with lack of 3D is that this plays kinda like Shantae (or Paper Monsters). The other dimensions are there, but they're simply flat.

13. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    I've been jonesing for a new platformer. The animated movement comes across a bit stiff. Can an early adopter chime in on the controls? I'm curious how accurate, fluid and responsive the controls are.

14. sampdx

sampdx Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2011
    Well i played this a while back on the 3ds. I remember it being pretty difficult at times. Should be interesting to see how this one controls...

Also retina support for new ipads?

15. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    It's not the controls that make it seem a bit off, it's the movement. Your character just moves somewhat slowly. The controls are movable (but not re-sizable) and after a bit of adjusting on my iPad they work really well. Haven't felt like I died due to the controls yet.

On the iPad 4 it looks sharp and gorgeous. Looks like retina, but it's pixel art.

16. sampdx

sampdx Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2011
  17. Snooptalian

Snooptalian Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Any Game Center functionality?

18. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Achievements and leaderboards for the fastest completion time of levels. Not all levels I don't think, but quite a lot of them.

19. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Thanks dude

20. SteakfryOne

SteakfryOne Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2012
    This game is awesome. If you're on the fence, you might as well come to this side. The grass is greener here. But man, does this game hurt my OCD. When a level is hard, and I can't get all 100 crystals, just aaugghh! This is a very good game if you like being methodical and efficient in your platformers.