[Preview] War&Warriors, turn based game

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Eskema, May 9, 2012.

1. Eskema

Eskema Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Programmer
    Spain
    #1 Eskema, May 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
    Hello,

My name is Alex and I'm one of the thousands of indie developers here, well, I want to show you guys my upcoming game.

Do you remember classic board games like space hulk or heroquest?, then I guess it's your lucky day because this game is intended to recreate the feeling of the turn based games.

This is not intended to be a game aimed for casual people, it's for old guys like myself, fans of board games, ready to draw a map with a pen and paper, with slow action, time to think, etc, definitely not a game for casual market.

Your role is to pick up a team up to 3 members and engage quests, have fun exploring dungeons, avoiding traps and finally beating the dungeon master to collect your reward.
    There's not too much story behind, you are a group of warriors looking for fame and glory, so you solve quests to increase your fame.
    The game is divided in quests, each quest is completely individual with it's own mini story/objective, you can complete a quest, skip a quest and come back later with more powerful characters,etc.

An interesting feature is the external level editor, you can create your own quests, sync them via itunes and play them. Let's say that you have the "official quests" included with the game or you can just play your own quests :)

The game is intended to be a paid download with further updates with everything free, no stupid IAPs or bullshit like that :)

As this is the first beta, I expect to replace some graphics, specially the WHOLE UI, please don't be too hard with me :)

By the way, the game will be released on android as well.

A picture of the game with the actual look,
    [​IMG]

And this is a video of the old version, quite different the new look from the old one huh?

Have fun,

2. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Hero Quest. I need to change my pants now.

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    This is actually looking really good. My only two comments would be:

1) try to build more visual detail into the maps. I know that you're going for that "game board" look, but you could still make the dungeons feel more like real spaces.

2) the UI feels very, very amateurish. If you can't afford to hire a graphic designer, then spend some time looking at recent big-name RPGs and just copy mercilessly.

Great work. Looking forward to seeing this as it develops.

BTW, if you are selling just quest packs via IAPs I wouldn't call it "freemium." It's more "free to try."

4. Eskema

Eskema Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Programmer
    Spain
    Good points, I will add more details to the levels :)

I expect to replace all the UI, but for now this is what it is.

Interesting what you said about freemium, I don't know how to call it, personally I hate to put this for free and sell quest packs, I would prefer to sell this for example for 2.99$ and offer all the content for free. But it seems that people prefer a free game and pay for addons.

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Freemium usually refers to a game that is free to play but that uses some kind of energy/crystal or other consumable that you purchases with real cash. Think FarmVille, Mafia Wars, etc.

What you are doing is closer to the old shareware system. Saturday Morning RPG recently did something similar.

6. BlaikAwesome

BlaikAwesome Active Member

Apr 14, 2012
    I'm am very excited to see more of this!

7. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Hey, this looks great!

I'd definately drop the word freemium, as it's got quite the negative connotation, and your game really isn't set up that way.

First post from the app, BTW! :p

8. Eskema

Eskema Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Programmer
    Spain
    Thank you guys, I've removed the freemium word and replaced the text :)

9. DanTheMilkman

DanTheMilkman Active Member

Looking good man! Nice to see things taking real shape now :)

10. AaronLee

AaronLee Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Interactive Designer
    Philadelphia
    Dude, I've been looking for a good HeroQuest-esque iOS game, to know avail. This is very exciting news, and it looks like its shaping up nicely. I'll be keeping an eye on this.

11. Brandon Pollet

Brandon Pollet Well-Known Member

This looks great! HeroQuest was a huge inspiration for us in designing Pocket Heroes as well. I'm glad to see other games following that same line of thinking.

12. Eskema

Eskema Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Programmer
    Spain
    Updated the first post with the new look after some months on hold, let me know your thoughts :)

The game will be released on iphone/ipad and android devices as well

13. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Funny how I fit that description in the initial post, hehe! This old dude wants this as soon as its available!

14. Living Legend

Living Legend Well-Known Member

May 30, 2013
    Do you need beta testers?

15. Eskema

Eskema Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Programmer
    Spain
    Thanks, but at the moment I'm doing a close beta testing locally. Maybe I will open the process later to get some extra feedback :)

16. Living Legend

Living Legend Well-Known Member

May 30, 2013
    Ok fine but I'm always willing!