The best angry/mean comments you have received from iTunes reviewers

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Johannvonstranovic, May 23, 2010.

1. Johannvonstranovic

Johannvonstranovic Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I enjoy reading Eric Snider's movie reviews along with his other articles. Every once in awhile he posts what he calls "angry letters". It's probably my favorite thing he does. He inevitably has made fun of a Twilight movie or something and a teenage girl will write him a scathing email about how wrong and stupid he is. Then he proceeds to rip her apart to the delight of all.

We all get bad reviews along with the good ones in iTunes, but every once in awhile there are just little angry gems that are such disproportionate responses to someone not liking our apps that I just have to laugh.

I'm not sure if there is already a thread to share these little gems (I did try and search 1st) but I'll start off with one of my favorites. Targeted at a simple (intentionally childish) game we released called doodle golf, Grape-Lime writes:

"This is so easy and childish that I wish this app never existed!
    DON'T GET IT!
    IT'S WEIRD AND FOR BABIES!!
    THE GOLF BALL IS STUPID!!!
    A TWO-YEAR-OLD MADE THIS!!!!
    I ONLY PLAYED ONE HOLE!!!!! "

I could really pick that comment apart and point out how wonderfully incoherent it really is, but I'll leave it to it's own merits.

Please share your favorite angry reviews here, preferably directed at your own apps but if you find a good one elsewhere, throw it in here for good measure. We all need to have a good sense of humor about not being able to please everyone all the time. I am floored by what consumers seem to think they are entitled to for $.99. How about you?

2. ikemike

ikemike Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Chicago
    ...I liked Doodle Golf...

3. iMario

iMario Well-Known Member

Doodle Golf is ok, dude. Cheer up. It's probably some 7-year old.

4. Uptown Arts

Uptown Arts Well-Known Member

"Katy you did not get a bunny you got a hamster" - 2 stars

5. Grubjelly

Grubjelly Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Maybe the golf ball is really stupid after all. Of course it can't be stupid, but if its behavior is such that it would insult the intelligence of a good portion of your target audience (including some smart kids who may have buyer's remorse) then such feedback could be useful if you're willing to see past the tantrum to some component of the experience that irked the customer.

6. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

to be honest i did like the game much either. but that's only because i expected it to be some awesome fun top down golf game.

i certainly didnt post a stupid review like that though (in fact, i didnt leave one at all purely based on the fact it was nice of you to even offer it free in the first place)

7. TheSporkWithin

TheSporkWithin Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2010
    College student, studying English/Japanese lit.
  8. Syndicated Puzzles

Syndicated Puzzles Well-Known Member

#8 Syndicated Puzzles, May 24, 2010
    Last edited: May 24, 2010
    Johann,

I like this topic, lots of great examples floating around. Caveman test was doing really well in Italy for a long time. Couldn't figure out why. Then I went to the page on the Italian store and then I understood why. The first two comments were so bad that people had to find out how something could get this nasty negative feedback.

http://itunes.apple.com/it/app/caveman-test/id339056870?mt=8

My Italian is good enough to understand that you can't describe an app any worse.

I actually was able to track down the first guy( he had some questions) and asked him why he was so angry with "Caveman Test"

He played over 50 games and was never able to beat Ufkah. So I emailed him back explaining to him that it wasn't the games fault that he wasn't good enough to beat the caveman. Immediately after that the second nasty review appeared. It is really funny how many apps have terrible reviews that are selling really well.

9. blue ox

blue ox Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2008
    This is the one that really puzzles me right now:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mirror-for-ipod-and-iphone/id359511476?mt=8

You have to read about 75 reviews before you hit one that isn't a 1-star review.

#23 paid app on the store, #1 Lifestyle

What gives? :)

10. bmn0210

bmn0210 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2010
    How the **** did Apple even approve that?

11. EMTKiNG

EMTKiNG Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    EMT
    Los Angeles,CA
  12. 5jusername

5jusername Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    School...
    Somewhere In The Universe
  13. Johannvonstranovic

Johannvonstranovic Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Wait this is really a review someone left? Brilliant, this is the kinda crazy I am talking about. It's so delightful.

Kijib's review are hilarious. With all those caps and exclamation marks I imagine him just constantly yelling in his day to day life. "SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS MAMN!!!!!!!!!!" at a funeral and such. good stuff.

14. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    I LOVE reading the reviews that say This sucks, update and I'll give you 1 more star! Honestly, WHO CARES?!?!?

I read the comments now instead of FML/MLIA/etc.

15. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    I'm sick of the strange/bad reviews from people. I'm going to make a game that has no graphics, no sounds, no controls. They will have nothing to complain about. It will be called 'flashlight'.

16. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    HA! The update notes even say there was a bug that got fixed! I wonder what the bug was :)

17. sidewinder12s

sidewinder12s Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2010
    Student
    USA
    Wow, Kijib is such a Tool

18. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    "not brite enuf - 1 STARRR!!!!!!"

19. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    Italian reviewers are so bad! Besides the stupid comments, lots of times they can't even spell well their own language. I'm really ashamed of my own country sometimes.

20. bmn0210

bmn0210 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2010
    English reviewers are no better, trust me. ;)