ScummVM

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by starjimstar, Jan 6, 2011.

1. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Hey all,

I just tried building ScummVM in Xcode a few days ago and everything went fine until the app actually launched like so:

[​IMG]

Darkness.

The only seemingly relevant message from GDB is:

Code:
    <CAEAGLLayer: 0x11384d0>: calling -display has no effect.
    Has anybody else encountered this? Is this an OpenGL problem? Does the message suggest an overbearing parent layer? More to the point; would anybody care to give me a hand getting ScummVM running?

Thanks.

2. 99c_gamer

99c_gamer Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Scummvm is already compiled for iphone but it's only for jailbreak devices.

Any reason why your trying to build it again?

3. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Because my phone isn't jailbroken.

4. 99c_gamer

Mar 23, 2009
    oh my bad. I recently jailbroke my touch and it only took about 15 minutes.
    but I guess I shouldn't assume everyone has that.

This is the first screen I get when it launches. Looks like you're not getting the file manager to display.

[​IMG]

5. Curleh Mustache

Curleh Mustache Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2010
    I wish you could just release this on the appstore. Anyways, most of the games using Scumm are either freeware or abandonware now.

6. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Yes, that is the problem. Now that you mention it, the jailbroken build does work just fine, doesn't it. Maybe there is no problem with the code. Maybe it is a cryptic project setting I have overlooked. Or maybe the latest SDK has changed something. I would really like to know if anybody else is seeing what I am seeing (nothing.)

7. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Tell me if I'm getting warmer.

[​IMG]

8. 99c_gamer

Mar 23, 2009
    hi tried compiling as is and it gave me errors.

some gui files are missing

EditTextWidget.cpp
    ListWidget.cpp
    PopUpWidget.cpp
    ScrollBarWidget.cpp

do you have these?

9. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    #9 starjimstar, Jan 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
    Thanks.

I do have them (I checked out EVERYTHING) but those files are from an old build. They have been replaced with the files in gui/widgets.

It is necessary to deselect the removed files and add the new files the linker complains about.

I was also finding the bleeding edge a little annoying since the Xcode project is seemingly neglected for extended periods of time (and it is currently way behind.) I would suggest you try the last release instead:

https://scummvm.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/scummvm/scummvm/tags/release-1-2-1/

EDIT: P.S. Those files you asked for, should you still want them, are all in here:
    https://scummvm.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/scummvm/scummvm/tags/release-1-2-1/gui/

10. 99c_gamer

Mar 23, 2009
  11. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
  12. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    So I took another crack at it. By placing some break points, I discovered that neither

Code:
    - (iPhoneView*) getView {
    	return _view;
    }
    nor

Code:
    - (UIWindow*) getWindow {
    	return _window;
    }
    are being hit. Can anyone better at this than myself see why? Source

13. Thaurin

Thaurin Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2009
    #13 Thaurin, Jan 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
    I was just trying to compile ScummVM myself yesterday, according to this page, and was met with almost 200 errors, some of them having to do with gcc exiting with error code 1 and the rest with FLAC, vorbis and mp3-related files.

Now, I have done some stuff in xcode, but I am by no means very experienced with it. It could just be that I did something wrong. I do think the iPhone target was created, but I'm not sure how to get that working in the simulator or the iPhone. Both attempts failed last night.

So now I find this thread from someone who presumably has more experience that I, and cannot get it to work. Well, I'm going to try again with the SVN link you provided. Who knows, maybe we'll get it to work. I don't want to jailbreak my device again anytime soon, but having ScummVM again would rock. Plus it's a learning experience. :)

Are the FLAC/vorbis/mp3 errors something I should worry about? UPDATE: Yeah, they probably are, but how can I fix them?