Universal Junk Jack Retro (By Pixbits)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by New England Gamer, Nov 7, 2011.

1. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    It's different. ;)

This is my favorite 2D "Minecraft" game on any platform, and the controls were built from the ground-up to be touchscreen friendly. There is a LOT of content and if you are interested in a 2D "Minecraft" I couldn't recommend this enough. (Been playing Minecraft since Alpha. ;))

Minecraft Pocket Edition has come a long way since it started, but you're still stuck in a tiny world, and have to struggle with the smaller screen/controls (especially on an iPhone/iPod Touch.) Between the two, I've played Junk Jack more. (The other "Minecraft game on my iPhone is Eden: World Builder which I like as well.)

2. TomekSzymek

TomekSzymek Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    IMO, it is. I really don't like playing minecraft on mobile devices. It is not comfortable and the steering is terrible to build something bigger than a small house for yourself.
    It looks different in Junk Jack. It has more from Terraria than Minecraft but, looking at iOS versions, I would rather spend again the money on this one than MC.

3. visionwebs

visionwebs Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    I have every minecraft version and am happy with all of them however, if I had to chose between minecraft pocket and junk jack with every hat I would chose the latter...

I see it like this, in the battle of the crafting games

MCPE vs JJ = JJ wins
    MCWIN/MAC vs JJ = JJ still comes on par to minecraft full for me, even if they were both on the same platform.

4. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I still have to find time to play this game more, but I've bought every hat IAP to support the devs & because I like them. The game is fantastic! You can spend your life with it if you're not careful :p

5. krazyk095

krazyk095 Member

Jan 3, 2013
    I was hoping this game would be Terraria.

It's Terraria with infinite worlds and penguins!

I've been playing it for a bit and it's great fun when you've got the hang of it, has a nice range of achievements too. Definitely worth the money.

6. J2o

J2o Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Just came back and playing this game again. I'm still hunting for those gold bars so that I can open that darn treasure box. I read some posts in this thread that you can open a gold treasure box with a silver hammer. That is false or misunderstood. I for one still cannot crack that one treasure...

Man, is this game deep or what? I havent even touch farming or breeding.

7. Fallen_Grace

Fallen_Grace Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2012
    Howdy folks,I was reading the reviews on Junk Jack again,and was wondering if all the updates since release eased some of my worries and "problems" highlighted in said reviews..namely the steep difficulty curve (do I have to memorize every recipe or fall back on browsing the internet every time to know how and what to do?) and controls (is there too much tapping?).

Thanks in advance :)

8. Maxmc

Maxmc Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Just played a ton of the blockheads game which is apparently very similar to this game. I loved it way more than I was expecting and am now considering purchasing this game also. Has anyone here played both that would mind giving me a quick comparison? Thanks!

9. nicodemus82

nicodemus82 Well-Known Member

The Blockheads is good for a quick pick up n play session now and again, where as Junk Jack will suck away your hours.
    In my opinion it's easily the best of this type of game available.
    There's just soo much content, from the breeding, farming, crafting, building to just exploring the world. You certainly won't get bored with this one. And the best thing of all... No sitting around waiting to craft something :)

10. Gamigo78

Gamigo78 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2011
    Junk Jack is a completely different game than the Blockheads. In the Blockheads you can conteol up to three different characters, while Junk Jack has one character. Junk Jack has much more content at this point. So if I were you, I would buy Junk Jack. It is definitely worth it.

11. Maxmc

Maxmc Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Thanks for the fast replies guys! One more question, likely the deciding factor for my purchase. I'm a big fan of avatar customization and I really enjoyed creating and coloring my blockheads outfits. Is there anything similar to that in this game?

12. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    How many Game Center achievements does this game have?
    And is there icloud syncing?

Thanks in advance

13. mr ed209

mr ed209 Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    If Junk Jack employed the vastly superior control method that Blockheads uses I'd have no trouble coming back to JJ long term. But it's annoying as all hell in comparison, playing like a broken platformer. It's such an unsuitable method for touchscreens.

Otherwise this game beats the merry hell out of blockheads and it's hateful IAP structure!

14. mr ed209

Apr 13, 2009
    #1714 mr ed209, Jan 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
    Actually they're virtually identical, except for the fact that The Blockheads has better control, barely any content in comparison, and horrible IAPs. But otherwise they are both building and digging games, very similar indeed.

(There's a lot of variety above ground in blockheads, but barely any be,ow ground; there's also practically zero loot below ground, and nowhere near as much stuff to make, not even close. The control in Blockheads is vastly superior, but that's about it really, it's quite a lonely and poor value experience compared to what you get in JJ for the basic price. The IAPs in Blockheads make you wait long, long time for things to craft unless you start buying crystals, which will rout eventually and then you may need to spend more, and more. In JJ it's instant and it's built into the price of the app, and lasts forever!)

15. mr ed209

Apr 13, 2009

Memorise recipes? There's been a recipe book for as long as I ca remember! Although you can now buy every recipe for it as an optional IAP, but e book stores the ones you already found.

16. Fallen_Grace

Fallen_Grace Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2012
    I have no doubts about the quality of the game,my doubts before buying are,as per my previous post,the control scheme and the learning curve :)

17. mr ed209

Apr 13, 2009
    I don't really understand concerns about the learning 'curve' - there isn't one as such, it's a sandbox so you can make it as complex or simple as you like. You make your own way through the world digging and crafting and building. You can experiment with crafting using random items if you like but the easiest way is to either find recipe pages underground (which are saved permanently to your recipe book) or just buy ALL the recipes outright as an IAP, which you absolutely don't need to do if you don't want to.

The only hesitation I have in recommending it 100% over blockheads is the controls. You swipe left, right, up or down to move, and tap enemies to hit them. Compared to Blockheads it's antiquated and frustrating as you have to manually navigate EVERYTHING. In blockheads you tap to go somewhere or tap to place blocks, and queue up actions, it's easy and there's automatic path finding which works well.

18. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Junk jack's learning curve is tough while blockheads is simpler. But deepworld is coming to iPod touch and there's growtopia both really look promising and growtopia has better control than junk jack

19. mr ed209

Apr 13, 2009
    Growtopia employs the same IAP rubbish that Blockheads does, though. Doesn't it? As in, your gameplay will be constantly impeded until you cough up endless streams of cash?

I might be wrong, after blockheads annoyed the heck out of me I took one look at growtopia and thought "not twice in one week thanks" but if it's not like that let me know! :)

20. mr ed209

Apr 13, 2009
    Still not understanding what's so tough about Junk Jack's 'learning curve' - it's exactly the same as every other game in this genre that refreshingly refuses to hold your hand for the first hour.