Universal [WIP] Mini Quest - Rogue-like heavily inspired by Diablo 2/Demons' Souls

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by loner_dev, May 7, 2015.

1. loner_dev

loner_dev Member

May 7, 2015
    #1 loner_dev, May 7, 2015
    Last edited: May 22, 2015
    [​IMG]

What are its features?

- Enemies don't just drop items when they die, they use them in combat to chop your head off, which adds a risk/reward layer rarely seen before.
    - Procedurally generated maps.
    - Comprehensive and slick UI.
    - Several item rarities and 45+ item affixes.
    - 60+ hero attributes such as movement speed, enhanced physical damage, etc.
    - Perma-Death.
    - Several hero classes with 8 skills that can be leveled up to completely modify their behaviour.
    - Heroes are inspired by characters from many other games, for instance, you will be able to play as a surprisingly acrobatic pyromancer that seems to really enjoy jumping up and stepping on people's heads as well as setting them on fire. If that doesn't interest you, how about a swift warrior that gets a kick out of stealing people's souls, rolling around in the ground and drinking some unknown substance to regain HP?

How much does it cost?

- Free, no ads, no data gathering, no micro-transactions, no nonsense.

Why is it so free?

- I'm currently a complete nobody so i want to make it very easy for everyone to play the game and help me get my name out there.

Who is making this?

- My name is Fred, a computing student about to graduate in June.
    - I am also a speed runner that held several records:
    Fastest Demon's Souls 100% run.
    Fastest Dark Souls low% run.

When can I play this?

- July 1st on IOS.
    - Click here to play the Alpha version now on PC!

Can I help out? Yes I can!

Hero classes: If you have any neat ideas about heroes that you would really enjoy seeing in a rogue-like then tell me about it! I'm always looking for creative and fun classes and skills to improve the game with.

Legendary Items: Help me come up with awesome legendary items which contain hand-picked attributes! These items should really change the way a particular hero plays and not necessarily be just overpowered.

Exposure: I am a one-man team with no contacts in the industry. Tell a friend about the game!

Screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    That loot detail = instabuy.

3. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    But it's 100% free, lol.

4. loner_dev

loner_dev Member

May 7, 2015
    I'm happy with an insta-download!

5. firstordergames

firstordergames Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2015
    Game Devloper
    Los Angeles
    Looks hardcore.

Great work! Keep it up & keep us posted! :)

6. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Check out his pricing and why so in the description in his post. If the game plays well, i'll shell out monry if there was any IAP. Im thinking if he could add even just a set of skins that dont affect gameplay for a fixed 3 to 5 bucks, it could be an easy decision to help out.

7. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    As for initial support, here's a suggestion on a unique roguelike class which i dont think was ever done before yet.

Class: Pacifist

General Attributes:
    Fairly tanky, slow movement, but has a skillset specializing in avoiding or preventing damage, and pushing yourself or the enemy away to get to objectives rather than fighting and killing.

Active Abilities that could range from single target stuns, single target knockbacks, aoe slows, a dash that requires bouncing off a target enemy first (like a reverse knockback), a hop over an enemy skill (to get past enemies in one-row paths). Even creating 1x1 square obstacles can be an active skill which would work well into the pacifist skill.

Passive skills that slow enemies that have dealt you damage, skill having a small chance of taking reduced damage.

I think it would be great if he doesnt use mana, but instead uses health to use his active abilities, that way, avoiding enemies will still mean losing a small amount of health making it less abusable to using certain stronger abilities.

8. ZeroVoid

ZeroVoid Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2011
    Looks great, I'm definitely interested. Seems like the type of game I've been looking for on the App Store recently!

9. loner_dev

loner_dev Member

May 7, 2015
    lmao. I haven't even thought of a pacifist class. I laughed reading your description of it because I was just imagining a dude rushing for the exit while pushing everyone away like he don't give a crap.

That's pretty hilarious I'm writing it down.

10. sgk.george

sgk.george Active Member

Apr 16, 2015
    San Francisco
    Wow! You are making the game completely free? That is so altruistic!
    I used to play Diablo 1 a lot. Haven't played the other ones though.
    Well done. Looking forward to watch some some gameplay.

11. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #11 Exact-Psience, May 7, 2015
    Last edited: May 7, 2015
    Yeah... Im sure you can come up with a better objective set for a pacifist class than just heading straight towards the exit. Plus, boss fights, if any, have to be unique for him since your kit's going to be pretty defensive. Maybe getting enemies exhausted? Not sure how that's going to work, coz that could be a new game.

As i said, there hasnt been a prominent pacifist class in any game yet, so things can both be difficult to design, and pretty fresh to work with since it's still open to a lot of possibilities.

12. loner_dev

loner_dev Member

May 7, 2015
    You can now play the Alpha HERE and tell me what you think!

Version 0.1:
    - fixed issue with burning euphoria.
    - improved the look of the health bars in the world.
    - actors are now sorted by energy, shit works a lot better, fixed fireball looking like it wastes a turn on you.
    - zoomed out from 5 to 6.
    - resolution was lowered slightly for low-res monitors.
    - Implemented arrow keys.
    - Removed block amount from the game.
    - Made it clearer how to wait a turn, improved tutorial screen slightly.
    - Fire damage now has 50% chance to apply burning.
    - Added bigger font for titles.
    - Added "Butcher" boss.
    - Removed unneeded magic find affix.
    - Fixed item pick up window displaying old item.
    - changed the cave layouts.
    -------------------------
    - Meets requirement no longer uses the passed actor.
    - Blocking now blocks all damage.
    - Combat messages are now displayed when blocking, dodging or missing attacks.
    - Smoothed out the death animation.
    - Made it a little more clear how to use the inventory.
    -------------------------
    - Enemies now spawn items upon death.
    - changed "Chests" to "Body armor"
    - increased fireball speed from 100 to 400.
    - fixed text placement issues.

13. loner_dev

loner_dev Member

May 7, 2015
    There's been a few updates since I last made this thread, go ahead and give it a try.