Universal Super Hydorah (by Abylight Studios & Locamalito)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by nyanpass, May 16, 2018.

1. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    The comparison to Steredenn appals me; but the 98% positive reviews on steam have pretty much sold me. Hmmmm!

2. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    After ten mins, I’d say that the comparison with steredenn is limited.

IMO steredenn is an unplayable, tedious, bullet hell mess.

This is a phenomenal homage to Gradius (&c.). Beautifully worked. £7 is pushing my upper envelope these days (toddler and dog - expensive), but this is just chuffing beautiful.

3. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    Same here, kids plus 3 cats = 7 dollars a bit too much unfortunately, if I were single I would definitely purchase it, but nowadays I have to be careful.

4. elekchron

elekchron Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2015
    Reminds me of Nemesis / Salamder absolutely loved those games

5. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    yeah, almost same situation here + another couple of games i would like to buy, 7 bucks is too much for me.

6. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    Is this not optimized for the X?

It looks like the title screen is but then when I was playing the level I get the black bars

7. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    After seven months since i bought iphone x and being an ios gamer i feel like i have done the worst purchase ever as far as ios products go. Almost 30% of the games coming out are not optimized or are poorly optimized for iphone x's screen. And even those that come with an update for iphone x's screen do it really poorly. I do not know if that harms Apple which in that case in my personal opinion made a big big mistake with that "notch" thing or the devs that lose some potential buyers of their game. Sorry for the off topic but this game looks really fantastic and seems it has no iphone x support. I do not blame the devs in any case i just believe it is a shame to lose a buyer or two or ten because of that "notch" thing.

8. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

#28 sebgo, May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 17, 2018
    Don't hit me guys!

I'm sorry for saying this, but...

I'VE NEVER PLAYED GRADIUS BEFORE..! (At least I don't remember doing so)...

So I don't really know how this game compares to that one (the closest I can think of is R-Type) but let me tell you that Super Hydorah is super cool, I loved the little bit I tasted, even the first (and only) level I played was enough to give me an idea of what's in store on later stages. Controls are fantastic and I have to play it again from start with sound ON, since I gave it a go while at the office and it's not like I want people to know I'm playing a game during work hours (posting on TA forums can be covered more easily, tho).

The only thing I hate is that, even before even launching the game, I noticed there's already a "hotfix" update available in the AppStore... Man, downloading that game took 4 hours and now I have to run an additional download (because I hate having available updates xD)! Hopefully it'll be finished by the time I'm off work...

PS: Hahahaha kids and pets... for me, $7 feels like "a lot" because of exchange rates in this country and differences in economy (just to give you an idea, minimum wage here is around $250-$280 USD), but I'm REALLY GLAD I don't have any responsibility other than feeding myself, paying my iToy and filling it with iGames. :p

PS2: This game might turn into my next favorite shmup on iOS =)

PS3: Oh, and I can't compare this to Steredenn, they're totally different.

9. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    Seems like a great game, but if you are charging $6.99 (as they should) it should be optimized for all the latest devices. Would not have bought if I knew ahead of time.

Regardless, if this isn't something that bothers you, I'd grab it as it's really well done.

10. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    UN Squadron rules!

11. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Fair enough but in these days of emulation etc I’m surprised you’ve never tried some of these classics. Ive been lucky and been through these years of the classic arcade years but you should try some of these classics via MAME for example

Many of these games are total pioneering classics of their day

12. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

Two or three weeks ago I got my hands on a PC of my own again... I had been without a PC since mid 2014, playing mainly on iOS for the last 4 years, and even though I had a jailbroken phone I didn't pay much attention to the emulation capabilities because I rather play those emulated games on a bigger screen.

I think now I'll have the chance to do so, and I'll be sure to check some classics of the genre as well as others! :D

13. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Good on you. Always interesting to hear people’s views on these old classics. Gradius was brilliant. R-Type even more so (that ones on iOS)

14. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

Yeah, I have both R-Type games on iOS and I think they're hard... I played them on Normal difficulty, because the easier mode felt a little like cheating because of the unlimited lives/continues... anyway, I think they're not updated for iOS11 yet... I keep them on my previous phone that's running iOS10, but I rarely use that one for playing anymore... =(

15. Gambler

Gambler Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    Lol same here :) Just realized with his post here myself. But in our defense, Boardumb opened a lot of new gaming threads and further it just sounds like such a bot nickname :D

Anyway, game seems to be out worldwide by now.

16. Gambler

Gambler Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    I agree but emulators on newer iPads are a bunch of fun (especially PPSSPP, God of War runs pretty nifty on a Pro 1st gen, despite some audio issues). Alas the emulator scene even for jailbroken devices is pretty dried up on iOS (most don’t get updated/tended to very long).

PC is much more powerful and best for emulators of course but you can’t play on the go with it ofc ;) That’s why I’m thinking about getting an Android tablet just for emulators. Android has a few advantages over (even jailbroken) iOS (and vice versa) but the sheer abundance of emulators is definitely one of the best. (OT post off)

17. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Here’s the thing: the game actually is optimized for the iPhone X. The devs kept to the old-school screen proportions, but the touch area covers the entire screen, which is not the case for non-optimized games. That means that you can keep your finger out of the way of the action — a big plus.

Perhaps in an update the devs can add a decorated border (like Cave used to do with their iPhone games).

18. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

Is it me, or this game is really hard? xD

Like, I feel I suck at it! #

19. robertgarcia

robertgarcia Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    My first impressions: One of the best Hori Shmups on iOS. I mostly stick to vertical shmups, but this one is very well designed/adapted for touch screen.

20. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    I returded from normal mode to easy (pretty experienced ios player here), and i’m fighting now the final boss...and over and over and...
    Besides taking my time and all of my concentration, the „right“ weapon layout might help. I just didn‘t find it yet, lol.

Well worth the price and my little gaming time!

PS: oh, and i’ll never beat this game in normal mode. That’s for sure :(