Has iOS gaming ruined our perception of "instant gratification"?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by awp69, Jun 14, 2013.

1. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I was thinking about it today and I've got to admit that I probably have literally hundreds of iOS games that I never finished (and some I never even have played!).

And I kind of think it's a little sad. With the stream of weekly releases and cheap purchases (I say that but it DOES add up very quickly), it almost has fed into a "gotta have it now" mentality --- particularly those of us who obviously are enthusiastic enough to participate in these boards.

It's just funny that my wife and I try to preach to our children that they should save their money instead of buying something that they'll play with for two days. We say "instant gratification" isn't good....to them. But then I turn around every week and am really feeding into the same thing over and over and over.

And even with all those games I've never finished, it's freaking hard to break the cycle!

Maybe with console gaming, even though there were plenty of games I never finished there as well, there was at least the feeling that I paid $60 for this game and can't just keep spending $60 everytime something comes along. So there was more of a tendency to finish games.

On iOS, it's seems easy to say...hell, it's just a buck or two or even $10. But if you keep doing it, you more than likely are spending as much and maybe even more than you would if you stuck to consoles.

Anyway, it's ashame to think of the games that I never have finished, but dammit, it's too freaking hard to resist "the next best thing" every week.

Anyone else feel the same?

2. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    I sadly agree. I was thinking about it this week too. The constant weekly releases take away from the level of commitment I'm willing to give games. I want to change this up as it's a crappy habit

3. klarence

klarence Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    after i got a full time job, i've no time or vigour to play games as much as good old days.
    i'd almost stop buying any game no matter what platform.
    so basically and actually I am not feel the same.
    btw,as a non english speaker, a part of my limited vocabulary is some kind of connected to games.
    vigour-bioshock good old days-mass effect

4. m44

m44 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2013
    I was thinking about this the other day. I think the best way for a developer to have to success on the App Store is to make a familiar game.

I think that's why we see certain genres of games repeated so frequently. A good match 3, hill climber, platformer, or runner is going to have a built in fan base. People like us will pay the dollar or two and instantly be good at (and happy with) the game.

A game that breaks away from the formula and does something that requires a "learning curve" (like a complicated board game) isn't going to sell very well. With the amount of inexpensive games available, it's too easy to give up and move on to the next game.

So yeah, we're kind of spoiled :eek: . I'm guilty of having the "here's my dollar(s), give me something fun" attitude towards iOS games. :)

5. I think it has for me. The amount of games I've downloaded is nearing the thousands, but honestly I probably only played 5% of them.

Granted, I've caught most of them on sales since I'm always broke. But when I get my first job and actually have money, I doubt it'll be any different.

But when I do have money, I tend to buy a console game I've had my eye on for a while, because though I spend more time on my phone playing games than I do on my PS3, I'm a console gamer at heart.

And even when I download a game and keep it on my phone I just leave it there for months and months because I'm playing some other game.

A good example would be Epoch. I've had that game on my phone since the end of last year, and I've played it for the first time last week! And there are STILL games I've yet to play on my phone.

I think the App Store is set up the way it is for a reason. You can always go back and play something for the first time in a long time, or maybe the first time even the first time ever. But the reason for it is time. With our busy lives, we only have so much time in the day to dedicate to playing games, iOS or otherwise.

There is such a HUGE selection of great games on iOS, and we feel like we need them all because they each have something great to offer that you just want to get into. So I suppose for hardcore iOS gamers it's only natural to feel that way about gratifying themselves. Ask any longtime member of TouchArcade how many games they've downloaded. Then ask then how many they've actually played.

6. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Agreed with everything stated, which is why I now spend probably about 75% of my itunes money on music apps. They cost more, but their is no "winning" or "grinding", and the best ones will stay relevant for years, at the least.

7. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    That's a large part of why iOS board, card, and pinball games tend to be better investments than "endless runners" and the like.

8. I'm subscribing to this thread, because I'd definitely like others' thoughts on this.

9. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Me too :D

In particular I'm interested to see if the subjects of "instant gratification" and "lack of commitment" are additional contributing factors towards contemporary game's financial models.

10. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Not sure if this is on topic or not but sometimes I feel silly or stupid for buying and playing all of these mobile games too. I dont know how to explain it but I think to myself sometimes what the heck am I doing... Especially after say staying up late to download some new ones or something you know at the usual Wednesday night times. But then their is times when a awesome one comes out and I feel like this is why I do what I do.

Most recently it was Gangstar Vegas that made me feel like it was worth it. Sometimes when I am going through my games to pick one to play I feel like eh this is kind of silly. Anyone else feel like this? Also money comes into play when I am buying and redeeming itunes cards or whatever. Seems like I spend a decent amount on this stuff, sorry if this is off topic but I was just thinking about all of this and it seems like similar situations.

11. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #11 awp69, Jun 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
    Yeah, even with a game like Warhammer Quest. Not much of a learning curve and I was addicted to it for a bit. But soon found myself downloading more stuff and time began to slip away from WQ. I'm determined to finish it and love in-depth RPG, adventure and strategy games. But a lot of times I get easily distracted by a new runner or puzzle game (Minion Rush and Crush! this week).

I need some kind if filter on the App Store that says "Sorry, you've reached your monthly game limit!!!" Ah, if self control were that easy. Habits are hard to break. Reading other members enthusiasm for certain games doesn't help.

12. Lost_Deputy

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Haha! Yup exactly the same. Geez it's like AA in here :eek:

13. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I have always been one of those who buy "the next best thing" on impulse, but i personally have no vice whatsoever except my gaming.

I dont smoke, i dont drink, and i dont even like going out with friends much, except for the occasional lunch or dinner.

Before iOS happened to me, i was spending a little over $200 a month on my games, or computer upgrades and peropherals. Sometimes, when a new hardware comes, it just multiplies.

Ever since iOS became a part of me, it was only natural that i would love the benefits i get from it: with a 12-hour-a-day job, the portability makes it so i can still play wherever i am, and the slew of casual on-the-fly games together with full blown ones give me the opportunity to play in short burts, or when i have some longer gaming time. Also, a significant part of my work i have on the ipads, so it's basically a win-win.

I have to say, in general, iOS gaming is generAlly cheaper still, as my monthly iOS expenses are still significantly lower, despite thenfact that i buy wverything i like every week.

Sure sometimes it crosses my mind that there are games i never finish, but there are usually games worth more than the money i put into them, that the $5 i spent on games i dont finish become a minor-issue.

I may have been able to save more money not buying those i dont get to play much, but the fact is i already saved a lot of money by choosing iOS as my main gaming platform.

14. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    Glad someone can relate lol

15. JagerBombS

JagerBombS Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    AppStore Anonymous?

Seems to me "instant gratification" is what iOS games are. They are gaming shots. They are cheap, give you a new game high for a few hours, then usually get tossed. The good ones keep you up longer. The entertainment value is amazing. You almost always get your money's worth, that's what keeps you coming back. I can hardly finish any lengthy game anymore because of it. I have an iPad and iPhone full of games that aren't finished, while I look on this forum for the next fix.

I think I need help.....

16. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    LOL naw you just summed up what all of us here think of IOS really. I seriously can get hooked on a game until the next Wednesday when something new comes out and it gets shelved. So alot of the time my games have a lifetime span of a week haha. Unless I really like something then I will play it for a longer amount of time.

17. pdSlooper

pdSlooper Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2013
    USA
    I don't think it's sad to not finish a game. If a game gets tedious or boring partway through, I'm not going to force myself to finish it. Heck, even if it was a completely great game but I just lost steam, I'm not going to regret enjoying the game the way I enjoyed it. Completion just isn't necessary sometimes.

18. EddyDaKing

EddyDaKing Member

Mar 18, 2013
    What is "iOS gaming" to you? I personally think this type of gaming just doesn't really attract the "hardcore" gamers you see on consoles. Sure you got quality ports like Final Fantasy, Sonic the Hedgehog, Rayman, etc. You also have the games where you aren't really meant to play hours straight, like Angry Birds, Cut the Rope and games like that. You just don't get the same sense of accomplishment of beating one of these iOS games as you do perhaps beating a game on a console. I think the price has something to do with that also lol, I mean finishing a $60 game vs finishing a $1 game?

19. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    I kind of agree like I mean when you pay $60 for a game you have to play it because hey that was $60 and you need to justify your purchase. When we grab IOS games for 99c its like eh I am kind of bored of this so onto the next game! Its a gift and a curse really :cool:

20. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    What's funny is that I do consider myself a hardcore gamer. But even though I still do play console games on occassion, what pulled me into iOS gaming is life itself. With work, kids and other responsibilities, I don't have the time to dedicate myself to hour+ sessions on consoles. So here I am, quick fix here and there. But I do still find myself drawn to the more hardcore games. Yet also have found myself addicted to the more casual ones as well.

iOS gaming is cheap enough to make the games feel disposable. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't have enjoyed playing through entire games that got put aside. In some ways, I really do think these forums kind of fuel the fire. And I know as new things come along it's usually doubtful that I'll get back to earlier games.

I'm awp69 and I am an iOS gaming addict.

Where's the sign up sheet for the 10 Step Program?